Will we be doing the same

My opinion on religion is well documented.

However given that the players (Christian or otherwise) have to train on Christmas Day for the Boxing Day games why should the Jewish players be given the day off for some equally fictitious event?

Because Yom Kippur isn't the Jewish equivalent of Christmas?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Yom Kippur isn't the Jewish equivalent of Christmas?

Semantics, Christians also play on Easter.

The point I was making was that Christian players are asked to play on significant days to Christians and I'd say that any Muslim players in the League would have been expected to play through Ramadan/Eid last week (aside from the International break). Further to this point; what I was trying to highlight was that in the modern world there's little need to observe these archaic traditions.

Semantics, Christians also play on Easter.

The point I was making was that Christian players are asked to play on significant days to Christians and I'd say that any Muslim players in the League would have been expected to play through Ramadan/Eid last week (aside from the International break). Further to this point; what I was trying to highlight was that in the modern world there's little need to observe these archaic traditions.

I agree with this, i'm turning up on sat and paying me entrance fee i would like to see the best team possible out there tbh! Just like i'd expect on Boxing Day!

My opinion on religion is well documented.

However given that the players (Christian or otherwise) have to train on Christmas Day for the Boxing Day games why should the Jewish players be given the day off for some equally fictitious event?

What about living in a multicultural and tolerant society where we respect each other's beliefs and practices, rather than stopping them or punishing people for adhering to them?

This isn't France, you know :wink:

Edited by jsslatic

What about living in a multicultural and tolerant society where we respect each other's beliefs and practices, rather than stopping them or punishing people for adhering to them?

This isn't France, you know :wink:

^_^

And to think, we're allowing you to practice your religion whilst Pope-Nazi is here spouting his bile.

Good times.

If they do get the day off for it, i will fully expect them to be in training on christmas day while every other player is off.

They do not believe Jesus is the son of god so why celebrate chrismas?

Neither do probably the majority of people in this country, it's still a bank holiday.

And they probably will be in on Xmas, as will the rest of the team.

What a daft thing to say.

"I think the Pope knows rather well what the Nazi ideology is"

And let's not get into the debate about his Nazi past; he was conscripted, as it was law for boys of his age at the time. His family, as with many of the Catholics in Germany at the time were reluctant to say the least, and were mainly uncooperative with the Nazis. His own family was subjected to T4 assessment and I'm sure I've read that his brother was taken away and killed under this programme. There's no discussion here - he isn't and never was a Nazi.

However he can sack his researchers for his speech, 'cos they've done a lousy job. Hitler stated in Mein Kampf: "I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord". Hiltler was also partial to the odd rallying speech containing references to his "work" being part of God's Will and Divine Reasoning.

I would have thought at this time with all the pressure on the Catholic Church, he would have provided the masses with a speech of calming tone, carrying a message of truth, co-operation and love. What we do get is on part a broadside on the freethinking populace on the back of one of his aides describing the UK a third world country. He might not be far off with that observation mind you, however it's not a great time to say it in public.

I'm an Atheist. I choose not to. I choose not to because amongst other things it's rubbish and a pack of lies. However, others do choose to be religious, and that's fine with me also - as long as it doesn't threaten me or my family you can pray to the God of Burger King for all I care. Knock yourself out.

Neither was he when he was a teenage boy. What's the point?

So at what age are you allowed slap on contraception or commit suicide (say, under great suffering)?

When speaking bile it's a matter of what's good for the goose...

NB. As for the pope, I'd not follow up on the Nazi fun he had as a kid - and move onto the criminal covering up of child abuse. I'm surprised no one moved towards pressing charges against him in an effort to save us seven hundred zillion pounds this year. It would have been great to see him on his knees, lips against the runway. Cuffed.

Ah, bile... it tastes great.

I've worked Xmas day for the last 3 years. And apart from one year off,2 before that. This year will be my second free Xmas day in 7. Back in boxing day though.

And regardless of whether he was a Nazi or not, hasn't he denied the holocaust before now?

I've worked Xmas day for the last 3 years. And apart from one year off,2 before that. This year will be my second free Xmas day in 7. Back in boxing day though.

And regardless of whether he was a Nazi or not, hasn't he denied the holocaust before now?

:shock:

If he has I haven't seen it.

I still maintain the best Christmas day was eating my fill and then saying, "Sorry mam - it's snowing and Hartlepool away tomorrow. I best be making tracks."

Six days later I sobered up. Fantabulous.