How can we get people back?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of those little things:

1. A sensible smoking policy. They let you smoke at the back of the stand at Peterborough and more or less turn a blind eye at Charlton. I deeply resent paying £20 only to be told by some jobsworth steward, who's only doing his job (not a proper job) that you can't even smoke in an open area away from the stand.

2. Home fans move to the RRE. Why people stick to the Chaddy is beyond me. Brentford fans had no emotional trouble moving to their new stand, they just moved because it's better.

3. Standing areas. I really enjoyed standing at Peterborough.

Agreed,all they have to do is paint a line - It's ridiculous, It's even harder to have a crafty one at HT now because it's so quiet.

1. A sensible smoking policy. They let you smoke at the back of the stand at Peterborough and more or less turn a blind eye at Charlton. I deeply resent paying £20 only to be told by some jobsworth steward, who's only doing his job (not a proper job) that you can't even smoke in an open area away from the stand.

2. Home fans move to the RRE. Why people stick to the Chaddy is beyond me. Brentford fans had no emotional trouble moving to their new stand, they just moved because it's better.

They shouldn't let you smoke anyway. Glad they are doing a decent job at latics while other clubs might not be doing.

won't happen! unless they stick some barriers on the lookers :)

There's a combination of reasons why fans have stopped attending, some at the present time, can't or won't be fixed.

1, The £20 for pay on the day fans.....although comparible with the rest of the division...can become reasonably expensive, especially if you attend as a family.

The one-off ticket reductions have never reaped much reward and i can't see that changing anytime soon.

2, The state of the ground and lack of facilities.

The 3 sided stadium is unarguably a turn-off to some along with very basic and dated facilities. This will not be improved until we move ( eventually,hopefully )

Some fans say the ground doesn't bother them, but we are continually being left behind by more and more clubs moving into new stadiums, obviously offering far superior facilities.

We need the move desperately now.

3, And this one is one we can address in the short term

We have the 3500 or so diehards, who are presently finding the improved performances acceptable after last seasons dirge.........BUT...

the fans we are now targetting want to see a WINNING football team.

After our positive start, wins have become elusive to say the least, the odd win here and there coupled with a few draws against very beatable opposition, will not bring the fans flooding back to a decrepit BP.......sad but true.

We need to get a run of victories together to create the first green shoots of interest....this works at most clubs......sadly this consistency has been missing at latics for a long time now. Get the ball rolling and we stand half a chance.

As i say, some of the problems can't be fixed in the short term,but, form and a winning side is achievable.

PD it's over to you.

They shouldn't let you smoke anyway. Glad they are doing a decent job at latics while other clubs might not be doing.

Cheers for that Mr Perfect. Did no one ever tell you not to begrudge a man his vices?

It happens to be legal for the time being, in open spaces, so I don't see why a football club should ban it. It's unnecessary and petty, and I don't imagine anyone would either give up or take up the habit depending on whether or not it's allowed at the footie. So what you're left with is some pettyfogging steward with nothing better to do threatenimg to throw out paying customers for no good reason.

And I haven't had one all day so I'm feeling a bit edgy. :ranting:

actually, they just moved back

i agree with all your comments, but theres probably some in the chaddy who would stop coming if they had to move out. and standing can not be re-introduced :(

smoking is probably some heath and safety rules as one is technically inside the stadium.

Edited by daznathe

Alot of the initiatives that the club put together (good and progressive as they are) seem to very flash in the pan. A game here, two games there. I doubt it's enough to make younger people care, not everyone gets bitten by the bug straight away. I started going to Latics with a friend when i was 16 (i was a maure 'fan' but really wasnt bothered about football much), it wasn't until i had been going for around half a season that i started to care. This leads me to believe that if the club really want to build a foundation of fans in the new generation they need to be bringing them in week after week. Something like making a permanent deal where if you come with a child of 15 or under you both get in for a £10. Or if they need more motivation, this ticket also comes with a free pie and drink, or a free match day programme. I don't know the logistics and the club would probabley lose some money at first but if in ten years time the fan base was strong and we are getting the 7,000 fans we need to be self reliant (made up figure don't know what gates we'd need) surley it would be worth it? Obviously a very long term idea but i doubt there is a short term fix available.

Every time the club offers reduced ticket prices it's for games where they were expecting a low gate.

These games are invariably crap and probably do more harm than good in trying to entice the fair weather fan back on a regular basis.

Why not come up with an offer that will fill the ground against Huddersfield or Rochdale creating a great atmosphere and more chance of a win that will maybe, just maybe mean some of those taking up the cheap deal will come back again???

Give Hudds the large section of the RRE only (which is about all they'll fill so no lost revenue there) and make the rest of the ground a tenner, ticket only - first available to the rest of the 3806 on production of 2 vouchers from the Colchester & Plymouth matches then the remainder on open sale.

Full ground, good atmosphere and you never know, if we get the 3 points they'd make the money straight back and then some in the subsequent home games when the 3806 become 4806.

Maybe.

In answer to the opening question, how can we get people back?

1. Start winning.

2. Redevelop or get out of this ****ing ****hole.

Number one is the biggest, but number two is important and plays a significant part in why our home form is so dreadful.

the problem is the owners have no intention of being here in ten years, so why should they take the loss?

They supposedly 'care about the club', to me that means they should care about the future no just the present

I've been saying that for 20 years. As has been pointed out on another thread, stayaways are not a problem if new people are coming in and taking their place. Let's get the next generation hooked!!!

Easier said than done I'm afraid. I go with my two sons and three grandsons but the eldest (8) has friends who support City (and yes, they actually go to watch them). He's been twice to watch a City game and I'm finding it hard to persuade him that the darker shade of blue is a better proposition.

Yesterday saw rock bottom when I reluctantly took him down to the City shop and bought him a shirt for his birthday - I fear the Latics top may never see the light of day again. :disappointed:

The game is a mess I hate the way that everyone is saying "if we have a good team we'll turn up" the fact is that you need money to have a decent team and by turning your back on the club you're only going to ensure that we have an even :censored:ter team. In the Football League unless you have a rich benefactor the crowds pay the players wages whereas in the Premiership the TV money does, I think a problem we have is that we're surrounded by Premiership clubs whose fans can come and go if they're satisfied aswell also Huddersfield who have a rich owner, we don't have as much power unfortunatly

Edited by Tommy_Fent

actually, they just moved back

i agree with all your comments, but theres probably some in the chaddy who would stop coming if they had to move out. and standing can not be re-introduced :(

smoking is probably some heath and safety rules as one is technically inside the stadium.

Fair do's. The Brentford fans have been out of that end for a fairly long time - it used to be the open terrace where the away fans got drenched.

Didn't realise that about standing. Do all new stands have to be seating areas? Thinking about Failsworth.

Peterborough allow smoking, as do Charlton (in a roundabout fashion). I don't mind banning it in the ground, I was talking about outside. You can smoke on one side of a fence in an open area but a few inches west it's not on. How so?

won't happen! unless they stick some barriers on the lookers :)

i said that when it was knocked down but apparently if you have been in the premiership, you can't have standing, or something like that. also, youd need toilets, pie shop and things like that that would have to be built again.

I think people forget about the number of football league teams who are within 20 miles of Oldham. There are 10 teams within 20 miles which includes one of the biggest teams in the World, the richest team in the World and Bolton. Plus teams like Liverpool, Everton, Blackburn and Wigan are all within 40 miles.

I sit next to a Southend fan at work. There nearest rival is Gillingham who are 12 miles away and there is no other team within 20 miles. They are League 2 and average a lot more than we do. I imagine it's the same for Swindon and Brighton.

http://www.footballgroundmap.com/grounds/nearest