Game Thread: Brentford 1-3 Latics

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing 2nd bottom, and go a goal down after 4 minutes...I'll admit I was thinking that our good start was officially over and long gone.

Score 3 goals again in a game for the second time this season - though I'll admit its great that midfield players are chipping in with goals (something they have not done for a few years) it is a slight worry that we don't have a forward putting the ball in the net often enough (Taylor is sort of playing up front, but not his normal position).

You get the feeling that 3 wins on the bounce in this division will move you from mid table to chasing a top 2 finish. Come on lads, let it be us that does it!

Just got back, great win, played really well. glad to see we didn't let the early goal unsettle us.

MOM for me was Mvoto, didn't put a foot wrong or miss a thing that came at him all game, you could tell Dickov was pleased with him after!

We played well and kept up a good tempo all game, we still looked dodgy on set plays though, every chance Brentford had seemed to come from a set play. More work needed on that me thinks.

No one had a bad game, think we need to cut out the silly needless bookings too or they could cost us later in the season.

Overall well pleased and a game we were always in control of I thought. Onwards and upwards!

Just got back, great win, played really well. glad to see we didn't let the early goal unsettle us.

MOM for me was Mvoto, didn't put a foot wrong or miss a thing that came at him all game, you could tell Dickov was pleased with him after!

We played well and kept up a good tempo all game, we still looked dodgy on set plays though, every chance Brentford had seemed to come from a set play. More work needed on that me thinks.

No one had a bad game, think we need to cut out the silly needless bookings too or they could cost us later in the season.

Overall well pleased and a game we were always in control of I thought. Onwards and upwards!

This was an end-to-end game - we started slowly and got caught for their first goal - quick thinking on the part of the Brentford forward and a neat finish by Weston rounding Brill and slotting home.

We were then fortunate not to go two down - good save by Brill which fell to McDonald - offside - nice.

Brentford looked decent going forward but decidely unsure at the back - gradually we came more into the game. Some good play but some poor shooting and decisions made - Alessandra the worst culprit when on the edge of the box with two free to his right but elected to try and go it alone. Taylor also dragged his shot wide when Tounkara was better placed.

Then the goal - great play down the right between Lee and Jones and a wonderful cross that fell to Furman - shot hard to the keepers right - back level and deservedly so.

Stephens, after a hesitant start, was beginning to show more on the ball - had a great shot tipped over by Hamer in the Brentford goal. 1-1 at half time was probably fair.

Second half kicks off -great play by Tounkara to play in Chris Taylor - strong finish and we were ahead - what a turn around!

We were clearly on top and the penalty was pure joy - Chris Taylor crunched and needed treatment before el Capitano stepped up to slot in under the keeper - 3-1

The game then descended into a niggly affair with Chris Taylor coming in for some harsh treatment but also giving it too much lip and after his earlier booking was fortunate not to be sent off - too many poor tackles leading to bookings including one for new boy Evina.

Tounkara had a great chance to make it four but blazed high and wide when clear in the box - Brentford hit the crossbar late on and sub Kelly had a decent chance but scuffed his shot - but we held on for a deserved and welcome victory. Must mention Christophe - not on for long but looked assured on the ball.

Good performances by most of the team - MVoto and Taylor stood out for me with Stephens coming more and more into the game after a slow start.

Good reception from the team for the fans at the end and we are back up to 7th and above Rochdale - a good day out in the Capital.

:wink:

Edited by TheBigDog

Very good performance, easily the better of the two sides. As a southern-based fan, it is a pleasure to see us passing the ball and using the wings once again.

I love the way Dickov has gone for players with genuine skills rather than the plodders we signed last season and has given a new lease of life to players such as Furman, Lee and Alessandra. Moving Taylor into the middle is a sign of this and we are getting the rewards from his ability once again. Tounkare impresses me more each time I see him, using his strength and good control to keep the ball under pressure and with an eye for a decent pass.

If we let softish goals in, it is probably because of the collective inexperience of the back four, Jarrett excepted, but Lee was excellent again today and Mvoto has settled down as a really good defender – hardly put a foot wrong. But Taylor has to be my MOM

but Lee was excellent again today

With the likely departure of Gregan, I think Lee will become my favourite player in the team.

I think he has genuine ability that is capable of playing at a higher level, works hard, and willing got get forward. One of our best signings in recent years.

Some good play but some poor shooting and decisions made - Alessandra the worst culprit when on the edge of the box with two free to his right but elected to try and go it alone. Taylor also dragged his shot wide when Tounkara was better placed.

Can understand the frustration on specific examples, but to be honest I am pleased to hear our forwards / players having a pop on goal a bit more. Feel that at times over the last few games we have passed too much in the last 3rd, rather than go for goal a bit more.

Taylor also dragged his shot wide when Tounkara was better placed.

payback for last week i'd say.

good win, sounds like it was a good team performance and its good to see the attack and midfield linking up to score goals. only four points off the top now, we need to back this up with a win vs colchester

Have to take on board how early it is in the reign of Sir Dickov. In reality the progress is staggering compared to last years dross negativity. The fact fans are seeing passing football deserves support 26 visits to Brentfor = NO WIN so today a real bonus. Forget they are now 2nd bottom its a job done. More concerned that this result not frittered away next week. Tonk is a YOUNG lad, MVoto a young lad. What will be the average age of team on field today? Oldest player Jarrett at a guess?

where was hazell, didnt he only have a one match ban?

great win. Latics the better team by far and deserved what they got. Defence looked shaky. Lee and jarrett exposed three times first half and the ball hit the net each time. Good job two were disallowed. Taylor was a sensation today. Tonkare ran and ran while lee as an attacking force is great. Furman and stephens worked hard too.

...as someone said earlier, the turnaround from last season n terms of enjoyment is stunning.

Really good team perfomance today. We didn't panic or let heads drop after getting caught cold for their goal after 4 mins but came back strongly to level it and after that there was only going to be one winnner.

The team spirit looks fantastic and the reaction of the players at the end spoke volumes

Tounkara is all effort and plays with a smile on his face, it's been a while since I looked forward to watching an individual Latics player so much. Taylor was up to his old habit of really annoying the opposition, loved it!! We're still a little shaky at the back but there was no doubting the effort and they dug in for the last 20 mins when Brentford pushed for a goal.

Best moment of the match for me was when Dickov called Taylor over to the sideline after he had got involved in a fracas for the tenth time and was really winding up the crowd and the Ref...I assumed PD was telling him to calm down but then it occured to me that he was encouraging him!!