latics v plymouth

Back from the game. Im so glad we won, honestly, i think this was a very important win. 4-2 at home, unbeaten still and sets us up well for the Rochdale game. However, from start to finish we had an Old Oldham fan in the bottom right of the chaddy. Who was moaning about how naff our defence is and that we still have the same team as we did under penney. I let it go. At half time, he was taking the mick out of our team with his friends. All through the 2nd half he was moaning and groaning. Then at the end of the game he said i've been coming for 53 years and we have a :censored: team.

Ahh really did do my head in that. Moaning and groaning throughout. I think Morais has a good touch on him but i think he tried to impress to much and took it over the top. I think Furman had another belter of a game and I think Kelly is a brilliant player personally, he battles hard and today I'm so glad he scored. I'm not to sure on Feeney if im totally honest. His touch was off and I don't think he knew what he was doing at times. Ritchie Jones had a bit of a down game today. Evina also had a brilliant game with his overlapping runs and ace shot at the end of the first.

All in all, i think this has set us up brilliantly for the game against Rochdale.

Keep the faith.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimmy Wagg made a great point after the Dickov interview where PD said playing against 10 and 9 men wasn't easy.

"If playing against 10 men isn't easy, and playing against 9 men isn't easy and the referee gets to call the game off against 7 men, is it against 8 men that it finally becomes easy?"

For me, having a 1 or 2 man advantage for most of the game should see a landslide victory. Anything less is an issue with tactical incompetence from either the manager or the players, or a lack of skill.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

Back from the game. Im so glad we won, honestly, i think this was a very important win. 4-2 at home, unbeaten still and sets us up well for the Rochdale game. However, from start to finish we had an Old Oldham fan in the bottom right of the chaddy. Who was moaning about how naff our defence is and that we still have the same team as we did under penney. I let it go. At half time, he was taking the mick out of our team with his friends. All through the 2nd half he was moaning and groaning. Then at the end of the game he said i've been coming for 53 years and we have a :censored: team.

Ahh really did do my head in that. Moaning and groaning throughout. I think Morais has a good touch on him but i think he tried to impress to much and took it over the top. I think Furman had another belter of a game and I think Kelly is a brilliant player personally, he battles hard and today I'm so glad he scored. I'm not to sure on Feeney if im totally honest. His touch was off and I don't think he knew what he was doing at times. Ritchie Jones had a bit of a down game today. Evina also had a brilliant game with his overlapping runs and ace shot at the end of the first.

All in all, i think this has set us up brilliantly for the game against Rochdale.

Keep the faith.

Dont want to join the moaning brigade but 'Morais has a good touch' wasnt the comment coming from me when he blazed the 3 yard open goal 60 feet over the bar with 15 minutes to go.

Edited by shaw_blue

Well, jesus! .. Latics put you through it!...

Didn't think we used our advantage very well today....our crossing was poor for the most part and some of our approach play niave.

Got there in the end though.........just!

Full credit to plymouth, thought they battled superbly and i'd be gutted if i was one of their fans.

Bring on the dale!

Jimmy Wagg made a great point after the Dickov interview where he said playing against 10 and 9 men wasn't easy.

"If playing against 10 men isn't easy, and playing against 9 men isn't easy and the referee gets to call the game off aginst 7 men, is it against 8 men that it finally becomes easy?"

For me, having a 1 or 2 man advantage for most of the game should see a landslide victory. Anything less is an issue with tactical incompetence from either the manager or the players, or a lack off skill.

It took us too long to utilise the extra men. Kieran Lee (who is outstanding this year!) tried to overlap jones but jones ignored him for too long. Taylor used him and we then looked dangerous on that side...We looked lop-sided as evina was mainly on his own when he too SHOULD have had someone to overlap him.

We made bad decisions, shooting at silly times, passing too many times and often trying too hard to score...morais, slashed over when he should have just got some contact on the ball. Tounkare has to stop trying to head the ball to hard - let it hit you on the head and use the pace on the ball!!

I thought Plymouth deserved a point....i actually feel a bit sorry for them but i'll take the 3 points. Glad for kelly to get his first goal but i see nothing again in feeney as to why we brought him in.

Morais - nice touch, possibly tried too hard to impress but was definatly impressd with his close control and running with it.

Can't see how plymouth fans could argue with either of the 2 sent off - thought the second was a shocking elbow!! They could easy have had 3 off...

onwards and upwards....this league is as close as it will ever be (brighton excepted) and if we can keep doing well at home and continue to pick up odds and sods away - we won't be far off the playoffs!

Well, jesus! .. Latics put you through it!...

Didn't think we used our advantage very well today....our crossing was poor for the most part and some of our approach play niave.

Got there in the end though.........just!

Full credit to plymouth, thought they battled superbly and i'd be gutted if i was one of their fans.

Bring on the dale!

credit to furman today he was class

Really disappointed with the first half. We didn't look to stretch them after they lost a man and other than Lee's scambled effort we didn't look like scoring.

As for the sending offs, not sure. First one, assuming it was a foul, I suppose it's the last man so he has to go. But I didn't fancy Tonk to score. The second one the challenge looked all wrong, but I didn't even think the ref was going to give the foul, then the card appeared. Ref made it clear he felt their player had led with the elbow. As for their goalie's yellow card, that was a shocker of a decision!

Second half, we need to stop watering the pitch at the end Rubes is defending. Credit to Brill for an excellent save at 2-2 and credit to Dickov as well. We were playing a 2-4-4 towards the end and really going for it. While I don't doubt we should have finished some of the chances created earlier in the half, they kept plugging away and finally got what they deserved. Glad it was M'Voto and Kelly who scored too. Hard workers who deserved something from it.

Substitutions? Not sure the Portugese lad who replaced Alessandra is better than we have at the club (and he missed a sitter). Kelly for Jones? Made sense as Jones wasn't having his best game. Feeney for Evina. Latics have a manager who is prepared to sacrific a left back for striker - while Feeney again offered little, the fact the manager is prepared to go for it like that, albeit against nine men, speaks volumes for Dickov.

Good result. Should have buried the game much earlier. The quality of first half performances generally needs to improve at BP, and while we scored for I would love us to have a player like Lee Hughes getting on the end of all those crosses.

Latics is fun again.

If my memory is right, that's the first time they've score 4 since the win over Hereford more than 2 years ago.

Edited by opinions4u

For me, having a 1 or 2 man advantage for most of the game should see a landslide victory. Anything less is an issue with tactical incompetence from either the manager or the players, or a lack of skill.

But I think Dickov has a point. Scunthorpe away (1-1) in 2007 and Sheffield United at home (2-1) in 1991 are two games where we played against 9 men for most of the match and made very hard work of it. In both cases, you certainly can't foot the blame at the manager, players or lack of skill in those examples.

When a team go down to 9 men it often galvanises them even more. 50/50's became more vital to win and players up their game another 10%-20%. You also need a little bit of luck in an already more congested penalty area, you need the ball to bounce kindly. It certainly isn't a case of "Great, down to nine men. Easy win then". The pedestrian way we played for most of that second half suggested we were thinking that.

I think Plymouth need to be given a bit of credit. Having been on the brunt of some plainly awful decisions by the referee, they still played on the counter attack and could even have won that game had Brill not made that excellent point-blank save from Patterson at 2-2. They let us have space in areas of no danger and put the pressure on us when we tried to attack. Bradley-Wright Phillips was a constant threat and the only thing they got clearly wrong was bringing him off for a proper Jepson-esque pudding (WTF??)

credit to furman today he was class

agree oe of his best games. can see him running away with player of the year in the same way gregan did last year.

after tounkara put that free header over the bar on 90 mins i just didnt see the win coming but thank god it did great to see kelly get his first goal and glad to see mvoto on the score sheet its definatly been coming. felt sorry for plmouth in the end and the fourth was a bit harsh on them. nice to see there players clapped off and they definatly deserved it. . . putting aside some awful challenges anyway

......."

Trouble is, down to 9 men and a quick goal to make it 1-2 and the away team have 9 adrenalin fuelled defenders.

.........I see nothing again in feeney as to why we brought him in.

I can see why PD would have thought Feeney would be an experienced head in a young team but it's not worked out. I say get rid in Jan.

Dont want to join the moaning brigade but 'Morais has a good touch' wasnt the comment coming from me when he blazed the 3 yard open goal 60 feet over the bar with 15 minutes to go.

I'm not saying he looked brilliant, all i think is that his touch looked okay but then ruined it with crappy finishes and dreadful crossing.

Edited by ah_oafc

typical latics there. ended up winning a very entertaining game that we could easily have lost.

brill - kept the attacking in the second half going, and a couple of great saves - 7

lee - class again, rarely lost the ball - 8

hazell - probably at fault for the wright-phillips goal, but solid apart from that - 7

m'voto - nothing got past him, great winner at the end - 8

evina - quiet first half, but had space in the second and was unlucky to be taken off - 7

jones - good first half, but faded in the second again. we looked more dangerous with taylor there. - 6

stephens - better from him, more like what he should be doing every week. - 7

furman - the energy behind the team, never stops running, he's like a new signing this season - 9

alessandra - his fault for their first goal (great finish though) but got clattered and was taken off - 6

tounkara - needs to get his shots and headers down and then he'll be a really good player for us - 7

taylor - average game, but he kept the attacking going - 7

morais - i like him, if he keeps it simple, he could be a useful signing - 7

kelly - got loads of energy, better than feeney and fully deserved his goal - 8

feeney - if theres a chance we could get rid of him in january, we need to. - 6

overall, good spirit and it showed how much they wanted it at the end, its good to come away from a game with a smile on my face for once.

finally, plymouth are a good team, would have beaten us if it wasnt for the sending off's but their fans were great today. good sense of humour and kept by their team. their song to chaddy was hilarious in the first half.

Pleased with the win and think it was deserved. We created enough chances and it would have been another 2 points dropped if those 2 at the end hadn't gone in.

Furmanator man of the match for me, he was excellent once again.

Thought Morais looked ok but that miss was shocking.

It did seem harsh on Plymouth in the end but only because we were so late getting the winner - if Morais had scored earlier I don't think we'd have been quite so sympathetic. I don't think they'll have any complaints about the ref either - he turned away what I thought was a blatant penalty for a foul on Stephens in the second half.

Entertaining game, just a shame only 4,080 turned up to see it.

Why did Reid take Wright-Phillips off? Might have been a different result if he'd stayed on.

Edited by bossrocks

I like your style. :grin:

6 goals. 2 sending offs. Decided in injury time.

Remind me, why don't people go to Boundary Park anymore?

They're missing out. Really.

Great point!

To go from the despair and embarrassment of losing to 9 men to a semi-respectable scoreline in a half of football is the reason we do go.

As for their goalie's yellow card, that was a shocker of a decision!

I thought that was a bloody good decision for us because instead of getting several warnings for wasting time, he just booked him so he couldnt waste time, job done.

Jimmy Wagg made a great point after the Dickov interview where PD said playing against 10 and 9 men wasn't easy.

"If playing against 10 men isn't easy, and playing against 9 men isn't easy and the referee gets to call the game off against 7 men, is it against 8 men that it finally becomes easy?"

correct, if we haD DRAWN 2-2 AGAINST 9 MEN THEN we would have been very embarrased. 45 minutes versus 9men

then you should run them ragged, also you should have 2 free men at corners and free kicks.

Credit to Plymouth. I doubt we'll see a better defensive display all season. Threw themselves in the way of absolutely everything and were a very organised side - they had to be otherwise it would of been a cricket score.

Far to pedestrian paced at times and lacked any real urgency when it was 2-2 for long periods.

Why they took BWP's off for a fat pudding i'll never know. Best player i've seen this season - we couldnt cope with his pace. If he'd stayed on the pitch it might of been a different story as they looked good on the counter with him as their outlet.

There are a few negatives to take from this game. Quite alot of sloppy play and panicking when under no pressure whatsoever. Ah well. Relief win!

Credit to Plymouth. I doubt we'll see a better defensive display all season. Threw themselves in the way of absolutely everything and were a very organised side - they had to be otherwise it would of been a cricket score.

Far to pedestrian paced at times and lacked any real urgency when it was 2-2 for long periods.

Why they took BWP's off for a fat pudding i'll never know. Best player i've seen this season - we couldnt cope with his pace. If he'd stayed on the pitch it might of been a different story as they looked good on the counter with him as their outlet.

There are a few negatives to take from this game. Quite alot of sloppy play and panicking when under no pressure whatsoever. Ah well. Relief win!

i'd agree with that. BWP must have been injured because he was clearly the best player on the pitch, and along with noone, their only real attacking threat.

but we had 21 shots and you'd expect to beat any team with that amount of shots.

plymouth were the best team (and best fans) to visit BP for a while IMO and with 11 men, i think it could have been a very different scoreline.

Great performance from Plymouth. Pushed players forward at every opportunity and have seen much worse timewasting from teams with 11! Glad to see the back of BWP and the front of that pudding who replaced him. And that centre half has obviously not been watching Tounk...like he was gonna score.

Thoroughly enjoyable game, never in doubt, how many forwards at the end?? Even Mvoto went up top. Just like the old days.

Fair play to Mvoto, Furman, and that new guy...at least he took the game to em. Must try harder Taylor, Lewis and Stephens. Oh dear Hazell. There's the door Jones.

E4e

FORTO