Whats this anti virus

Alerts about on here? it's doing my head in. Plus my Ebay and hotmail accounts been hacked today. Is this anything to do with it?

Unclassified malware or something it keeps saying

Hmmm...you been busted 'watching' a pair of leather arseless chaps or something?

If you must use windows then do not use Internet Explorer.

Chrome

http://download.cnet.com/Google-Chrome/300...4-10881381.html

Firefox

http://download.cnet.com/mozilla-firefox/?tag=mncol;3

Both programs have add-block add-ons, haven't seen an add on here for ages and haven't had a virus warning either.

I use this as an anti-virus/firewall/internet-security:

http://download.cnet.com/Comodo-Internet-S...tml?tag=mncol;1

Not had a problem with it after the initial setup. You get the odd warning about some programs trying to write to the registry...etc but if you have just started a program then that's fine, if it is an expected event then that is something to look into.

Norton was never a quality product, it's always had security issues. As for the warnings on this site, that's just a problem with AVG itself. AVG is a half decent anti virus software but it does have a tendancy to flag things that aren't actually any threat whatsoever, it's just a problem in the programming itself but isn't really a big issue. Most anti virus sofwtare packages have this sort of problem in some respect even the likes of BitDefender.

tl;dr ignore it it's nothing.

Edit: Alos, no sane person should be using IE anymore, it's :censored:ing bobbins. Firefox, Opera, Chrome are all better (but don't use chrome because google must be stopped).

Edited by LeylandLatic

Norton was never a quality product, it's always had security issues. As for the warnings on this site, that's just a problem with AVG itself. AVG is a half decent anti virus software but it does have a tendancy to flag things that aren't actually any threat whatsoever, it's just a problem in the programming itself but isn't really a big issue. Most anti virus sofwtare packages have this sort of problem in some respect even the likes of BitDefender.

tl;dr ignore it it's nothing.

Edit: Alos, no sane person should be using IE anymore, it's :censored:ing bobbins. Firefox, Opera, Chrome are all better (but don't use chrome because google must be stopped).

Boo!!!

I have now been assimilated into google - Android phone, now use chrome. I'm not that interesting to be worried about lack of privacy plus I put too many random musings on boards such as this. My life has been enhanced by many google products, I probably couldn't do my job if it wasn't for their chocolate factory.

Now Apple, they most be stopped the walled garden closed minded control freaks.

And microsoft and oracle.

Sorry but anyone who uses Norton asks for a problem. It used to be a quality product back in days of coal fired PCs but it is now owned by PC WORLD and a waste of space literally and figuritively. AVG good. I use McAfee and its fine on a BT account.

Any product from PC World is generally crap. ie Philips PCs seeing as Philips dont make them just sell the name to brand a PC World product.

Just to clear something up, even though I agree Norton is a waste of space these days, PC world do not own it and never will. PC World are paid to promote and sell the product on behalf of Norton themselves :)

Otherwise personally I use Avast and have no issues at all :)

Never heard such bollocks spouted on a thread on OWTB (and that is saying something).

Anyone who recommends AVG over Norton clearly knows nothing about the industry or subject.

Norton has been a quality product for the non-tech savy since Norton 2009. Before then, I would agree it did a lot more harm than good.

Symantec corportate software has been trusted and used by a lot of the worlds biggest compaines for a long long time. Since 2009, the team behind the corporate software now produce the retail Norton products. This is the reason Norton went from last to industry best in 1 year.

These days, a lot of the other AV companies have closed the gap with Norton for ease of use and size of footprint, but to say Norton is crap is just nonsense.

I don't work for Symantec, but I do work in the industry.

LOL@PCWorld. Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

As for why this forum generates false positives from AV software.... The advertising used on this website uses iFrames, in fact a particular type of iFrame that can be used to inject code into a users computer without their knowledge. This can be used for keyloggers, or trojans and could allow an attacker full control of your pc. Although this forum does not use any of this code, there is nothing to stop it doing so in the future, hence the AV software generates a warning.

Hope that clears things up.

Just to clear something up, even though I agree Norton is a waste of space these days, PC world do not own it and never will. PC World are paid to promote and sell the product on behalf of Norton themselves :)

Otherwise personally I use Avast and have no issues at all :)

Yeah Peter Norton is no man's bitch, if you say different he will f*** you up!

peterNorton.jpg

He's the man we all wish we could be.

Never heard such bollocks spouted on a thread on OWTB (and that is saying something).

Anyone who recommends AVG over Norton clearly knows nothing about the industry or subject.

Norton has been a quality product for the non-tech savy since Norton 2009. Before then, I would agree it did a lot more harm than good.

Symantec corportate software has been trusted and used by a lot of the worlds biggest compaines for a long long time. Since 2009, the team behind the corporate software now produce the retail Norton products. This is the reason Norton went from last to industry best in 1 year.

These days, a lot of the other AV companies have closed the gap with Norton for ease of use and size of footprint, but to say Norton is crap is just nonsense.

As for why this forum generates false positives from AV software.... The advertising used on this website uses iFrames, in fact a particular type of iFrame that can be used to inject code into a users computer without their knowledge. This can be used for keyloggers, or trojans and could allow an attacker full control of your pc. Although this forum does not use any of this code, there is nothing to stop it doing so in the future, hence the AV software generates a warning.

Norton gives false positives quite frequently and hogs alot of resources at the same time, I would hardly call that a quality product. BitDefender blows that :censored: out of the water, i preferred Nod32 when i had it as well.

Thanks

a) for clearing up the issues pertaining to the site and

B) for saving me the time to type similar content

Finally, anyone who uses AVG free....please tell me what you think the paid for version does?

using a coprorate version of norton at the mo which used to give a warning but now doesnt. We dont struggle with viruses and while every now and again the defs dont update for one reason or another its a decent product/

ESET and kaspersky are both fine with this site. Dont really trust avg have seen it miss to much but each to there own

Edited by bluehobbit