Swindon Town Christmas Party?

Interesting one this.

A reliable friend tells me that he has just seen Swindon Town players in Manchester City centre, in something of a party mood, enjoying a drink. He knows his lower league football so I'd be pretty sure he's on the money.

That does rather suggest that these guys were planning to be out in Manchester tonight and yesterday's pitch inspection was more than premature (assuming it was to stop Swindon travelling).

The other point I'd make around the postponement is that only three games have been called off in England today. Oldham, Scunthorpe and Lincoln. Unless there is something badly wrong with the BP pitch (e.g. vandalism etc) there is little doubt in my mind that this game would have been played if there had been a pitch inspection this morning.

In the context of something like 37 games out of 40 taking place this weekend, something doesn't feel right.

Edited by opinions4u

Interesting one this.

A reliable friend tells me that he has just seen Swindon Town players in Manchester City centre, in something of a party mood, enjoying a drink. He knows his lower league football so I'd be pretty sure he's on the money.

That does rather suggest that these guys were planning to be out in Manchester tonight and yesterday's pitch inspection was more than premature (assuming it was to stop Swindon travelling).

The other point I'd make around the postponement is that only three games have been called off in England today. Oldham, Scunthorpe and Lincoln. Unless there is something badly wrong with the BP pitch (e.g. vandalism etc) there is little doubt in my mind that this game would have been played if there had been a pitch inspection this morning.

In the context of something like 37 games out of 40 taking place this weekend, something doesn't feel right.

12.30 Yesterday they were already en route to the North West

Been told the same from club insiders about the Swindon Christmas Party, also that the management team are not impressed with the hierachy's decision to hold such an early pitch inspection. Same club insider(s) have told me the pitch was perfectly playable this morning. Now I know there's usually a problem in front of the main stand but a member of the coaching staff found it to be able to take a stud this morning, so why call the game off 27 hour before kick off?

As it stands we seem to have got away with not playing as Colchester aside the teams below us have all failed to capitalise.

Agree absolutely O4U, there is no way the BP pitch would not have been playable at 3-00pm today, ludicrous decision to call the game off some 26 hours before kick off.

Temperatures were up to 10 or 11 degrees at lunchtime today in Oldham, no way would frost still be in the pitch at those temperatures and all the snow has completely gone.

I saw a few Wednesday players walk past me the other day in Sheffield on the piss, looks like it's not done them much harm today

It's not that the Swindon players are on the piss that's the issue. It's the fact that it seems they had booked their Christmas party up here, if these stories are to be believed (and I've no reason not to). So, there was no need to postpone the game at lunchtime the day before the game.

There's no way Latics would have wanted the game postponed. The cash flow problem is serious and today's postponement does us harm.

The responsibility lies with the Referee who inspected and who had information about the likely weather conditions . There can be no certainty about weather and one can only assume that the forecast he relied on was from Football League accredited sources and that it indicated that there was a high probability that the pitch would be unplayable.

There's no way Latics would have wanted the game postponed. The cash flow problem is serious and today's postponement does us harm.

Although pre-Christmas crowds are typically 500ish lower than those on a Saturday in January. So £10,000 may be a good reason for Latics to not want to play this week.

The responsibility lies with the Referee who inspected and who had information about the likely weather conditions . There can be no certainty about weather and one can only assume that the forecast he relied on was from Football League accredited sources and that it indicated that there was a high probability that the pitch would be unplayable.

But if Swindon are already in the area, their travel arrangements were not relevant. A 10am Saturday pitch inspection would have been more appropriate, allowing for a forecast thaw and allowing Swindon's fans time to decide whether or not to travel.

Although pre-Christmas crowds are typically 500ish lower than those on a Saturday in January. So £10,000 may be a good reason for Latics to not want to play this week.

But cash flow is viral to the club and possibility of three or four home gamres in quick succession may cut attendances

But if Swindon are already in the area, their travel arrangements were not relevant. A 10am Saturday pitch Dec early Jan will be a inspection would have been more appropriate, allowing for a forecast thaw and allowing Swindon's fans time to decide whether or not to travel.

quite probably but the ref who was appointed by the League to make the inspection was confident enough to ccall it off. hopefully on Monday we'll hear from the club about the actual condition on Saturday, and if the water had drained away or if there was still frost in the pitch.

I really don't believe that any club in our circumstances is going to cut off cash flow....

quite probably but the ref who was appointed by the League to make the inspection was confident enough to ccall it off. hopefully on Monday we'll hear from the club about the actual condition on Saturday, and if the water had drained away or if there was still frost in the pitch.

I really don't believe that any club in our circumstances is going to cut off cash flow....

Many things puzzle me about the game being called off so early !

Why when the away team were travelling for the game anyway !

The management wanted a pitch inspection on the sat morning along with Lee the head Groundsman !

The official asked to do the inspection was a local Ref and a friend of Hardy. The top water was what worried the ref but this was all gone this morning when Paul Butler walked the pitch.

From what a players told me today Dickov is fuming and will be at the club on Monday making his feelings known

Seems the pitch inspection should be called by the manager yet Dickov didn't know anything about it until Thursday night

Somebody has made a true and royal cock up here and cost the club thousands - but thats the latics way

Somebody has made a true and royal cock upbusinesss minded decision here and cost made the club thousands - but thats the latics way

Amended the post.

If the Janaury gate is higher than they would have got today (which, if it's played on a Saturday it will be), the income for the match could be over 50% higher.

Edited by opinions4u

Amended the post.

If the Janaury gate is higher than they would have got today (which, if it's played on a Saturday it will be), the income for the match could be over 50% higher.

Money in Jan is all well and good but the club have bills to pay now !

If the weather is bad in Jan we could lose 1 - 2 or 3 home games in ten days

Playing the game today would have been the best decision based on actual income being brought in not possible increased income in 5 weeks time

Money in Jan is all well and good but the club have bills to pay now !

If the weather is bad in Jan we could lose 1 - 2 or 3 home games in ten days

Playing the game today would have been the best decision based on actual income being brought in not possible increased income in 5 weeks time

None of us know the true cash flow implications for the club - I suspect the funds are there to see us through in to January. If they are, then a hard nosed businessman may consider wating 4 weeks for a higher income preferable to a small payday today.

Assuming the pitch was playable this morning, there is little doubt in my mind that for footballing reasons alone it was in Latics interest to play the game. Swindon had just played extra time with 10 men, had Douglas suspended and our players should be fresh.

It hasn't been played for whatever reason. But that pitch inspection wasn't needed yesterday - and it won't have been Swindon Town who requested it.

Edited by opinions4u

I don't see what a Saturday night piss up has got to do with all this. Firstly not all of the Swindon contingent would have been out tonight, some players, officials, Directors etc won't be in Manchester, its a players night out. The overnight is for the night before so the paty go-ers would have had to make their own way home tomorrow and pay for their stay tonight I guess.

With the cancellation they will now have had to pay for their journey up as well, bless.

None of us know the true cash flow implications for the club - I suspect the funds are there to see us through in to January. If they are, then a hard nosed businessman may consider wating 4 weeks for a higher income preferable to a small payday today.

Assuming the pitch was playable this morning, there is little doubt in my mind that for footballing reasons alone it was in Latics interest to play the game. Swindon had just played extra time with 10 men, had Douglas suspended and our players should be fresh.

It hasn't been played for whatever reason. But that pitch inspection wasn't needed yesterday - and it won't have been Swindon Town who requested it.

My understanding from being told by a player is that Swindon asked for an early inspection and Hardy obliged them without consulting Dickov

That's why Dickov is fuming! He was desperate for the game to be on - for some of the reasons you mentioned

I don't see what a Saturday night piss up has got to do with all this. Firstly not all of the Swindon contingent would have been out tonight, some players, officials, Directors etc won't be in Manchester, its a players night out. The overnight is for the night before so the paty go-ers would have had to make their own way home tomorrow and pay for their stay tonight I guess.

With the cancellation they will now have had to pay for their journey up as well, bless.

The Swindon team are booked into their hotel Friday and sat night ! They are all out on a team night out tonight including some of the coaches

The only people who benefited was the Swindon fans who didn't travel !

Tonight is a Swindon club Xmas night out organised by the manager I've just been told

If we win in January (assuming it will be played on the 8th), then does it matter that the game wasn't played today- not really.

As some have pointed out we are statistically more likely to make more money if it is played on the 8th than if it had been played today.

Yes maybe if it had been played today then we might have had a better chance, and some of our losses won't have occurred (we will have lost money on the pies etc.- well we did last year). But who is to say that some of their players won't be suspended/injured when we do play them?

Yesterday morning I went down to Boundary Park to help the groundstaff

to get the match on today.

when I arrived all the snow had been removed from the pitch and we spent

all morning clearing snow and ice from the outer running track.

The pitch itself carried a lot of surface water which was not draining away

due to frost which had penatrated the ground.

When the referee arrived at lunch time he inspected the pitch with Alan Hardy,

the groundsman carrying a pitch fork and other club officials.

From what I could see when they tried to push the fork into the turf, in certain

areas it wasn't possible, the groundsman then obtained a thermometer to

record the pitch temperature and he later stated this to be 1 1/2` I took this

to be minus.

The party left the pitch and it was reported that the referee was to consult

the Football League with his findings.

Yesterday the pitch was definately unplayable, with a crystal ball today yes

but in my eyes the blame lies purely with the Football League.

Someone has just emailed into TFLS calling for an investigation... could be interesting but if it goes ahead I doubt it will tell us anything we don't already know.

I wouldn't have thought the FL watch TFLS to pay any attention to fans emailing their demands.