Oldham East and Saddleworth By-election

Who would you vote for?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. The electorate have been usurped by two out-of-touch judges, resulting in a by-election and other injustices. How do you vote?

• Labour (Debbie Abrahams)
    • "Liberal" "Democrat" (Crybaby Catman Watkins)
    • Conservative (Kashif "Floats like a bee and stings like a butterfly" Ali)
    • BNP (Nick "Not Gay At All" Griffin)
    • Libertarian (Gregg "2Gs" Beaman)
    • UKIP (Paul "Nuts" Nuttall)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sre about this one, there can't be single person in politics who hasn't expressed a view about Murdoch in private. The minister could call him every nam under the sun so long as he performs his duties correctly, that's what civil servants are there for (allegedly).

He wasn't in private. He was talking to strangers in public.

And he can't call Murdoch every name under the sun because that in itself means that his impartiality in the buyout decision is compromised, meaning that he isn't performing his duties properly. That is the whole point.

The law also states that the Secretary of State makes the decision, not civil servants (I don't know what you think they've got to do with this anyway). They call it democracy.

As for the Liberals, from what I can see there aren't that many left to take comfort, recoil in horror or anything else. They don't have any influence - but they'll enthusiastically go along for the ride in public so long as that ministerial car keeps a-rolling. Beyond pathetic.

He wasn't in private. He was talking to strangers in public.

And he can't call Murdoch every name under the sun because that in itself means that his impartiality in the buyout decision is compromised, meaning that he isn't performing his duties properly. That is the whole point.

The law also states that the Secretary of State makes the decision, not civil servants (I don't know what you think they've got to do with this anyway). They call it democracy.

As for the Liberals, from what I can see there aren't that many left to take comfort, recoil in horror or anything else. They don't have any influence - but they'll enthusiastically go along for the ride in public so long as that ministerial car keeps a-rolling. Beyond pathetic.

In his constituency consultancy? That is not a public place, it's very much private. And he was there conducting his work as an MP, not a minister.

Senior civil servants have the role of ensuring that due process is followed in decision making. So if he blatantly failed to look at evidence purely because he hates Murdoch they would point this out.

Anyway, I don't like Cable, he was a smug get in opposition an it's funny to see that he is actually inept after he made out that he was some sort of oracle for so long, but I can see various sides to this one, not being blinded by party bias.

Ihad to buy booze of Branson yesterday, my tran tok so long. We all have a breaking point.

The 9.40am from Euston this morning took just short of 4 hours.

And their refund policy (25% of the single fare for a 1-2 hour delay) is about the tightest on the railways.

If thought I was in for a £131 refund in to my own pocket on a company bought ticket, but alas not - a mere £32.75 when they get round to it.

Not sre about this one, there can't be single person in politics who hasn't expressed a view about Murdoch in private. The minister could call him every nam under the sun so long as he performs his duties correctly, that's what civil servants are there for (allegedly). I shouldn't get too excited about the effect on the Lib Dems anyway, their rank and file will be delighted at thinking they actually have some influence.

But it sure as hell has pissed off the tories, one of their old boys got pensioned off for saying the Kyle watchers are "breeding" yet Ginger Rogers threatens to bring down the government, calls Nice Uncle Rupert a nasty name and gets to keep his nice shiny free Prius and seat on the big boys table.

What sort of Conservative led government is this if they can't keep their own man and the Liberals get to have it all their own way?

I know it's a small sample but only one person has said they'd vote Lib Dem. They're at 8% in the national polls and it's clear that they've basically split down the middle as a party between the ones who got Government jobs and thems what didn't.

They have conducted no investigation into their abject showing in the May general election, which indicates that Clegg has achieved what he wanted and everyone else can get lost.

Basically, the only Lib Dem hope is Catman and his local reputation and the residual affection that the good folk of Oldham E and S feel for a sore loser.

It's in the bag.

I know it's a small sample but only one person has said they'd vote Lib Dem.

And that wasn't me. <_<

As usually seems to be the case we can't really say this is a representative sample, not when 25% of votes are cast by the hard of thinking trying to be "controversial".

Why would anyone vote Labour ever again?

The simple answer is yes... They would... I very much doubt the Libs will see much backing come next election and for very good reasons...

Over the years we have all seen the Tories and Labour break the odd promise, but not to the level the Lib Dems have...

Unforgivable some of the stuff they are backing...

This said, if we had a general election next year then I would defo put my money on the Tory feckers winning.

This said, if we had a general election next year then I would defo put my money on the Tory feckers winning.

I originally gave the coalition until October 2010. So it has lasted longer than I thought it would.

My reasons for suggesting its downfall were that it would be Tory inspired - they would create a row that Libs couldn't handle, the coalition would collapse and there would be a general election that would see the Tories elected with a large majority.

I think Cameron has had a rethink though. He's seen the Libs taking most of the flak for the unpopular stuff and has realised that this is a good thing for the Tories. He'll keep the coalition alive for a year or two more yet. But it won't go full term - and the Tories will win an outright majority at any early election.

It's amazing how perception interferes with the truth. I find it laughable that any Labour supporter can complain about broken promises from another party. Remember Bliars five pledges? Did Labour actually live up to any of those in thirteen years?

And some people, perhaps for party political effect or perhaps simply because they don't understand democracy (another Labour trait), just don't seem to be able to fathom that actually the Lib Dems came third, and are the minor party in this coalition - so it stands to reason that they have to compromise on more of their manifesto promises than some of them, and their supporters, may like.

Yes the Lib Dems will lose some voters, primarily left leaning ones who were lost as soon as the coalition with the Tories was signed. But I suspect over the coming few years they may also gain a few.

Come the next election, whenever it is (although I think there's a fair chance the coalition will hold for the full term), my main concern will not be how many vote for the Lib Dems, but that a frankly unelectable Labour party doesn't some how sneak back in (and ideally is consigned to third place).

May 2012 is my prediction.

Why would anyone vote Labour again? The ones who got sucked in by Clegg and Cable et al will easily decide not to do so again. The ones who voted for Cameron thinking they were getting a socially liberal Tory will find it equally easy to vote Labour now he's turned out to be an arch-Thatcherite.

The Liberals are now consistently polling in single figures. Yet you're asking why so many people 40% would vote Labour! If you have to ask, you'll never know.

The Lib Dems will have a completely different manifesto to the Tories when the next election comes around. It remains to be seen whether they will be able to differentiate themselves in the public eye though. I suspect that not much will get done in the latter stages of the coalition if it does go full term as the LDs and the Tories start jockeying for position. I don't think Milliband is ever going to be PM one way or another.

Garçon: Yes the Lib Dems will lose voters - have lost voters for ever - but where will they get new voters from? For a hundred years they've been preying on natural Tories and natural Labour, on the promise that when they govern, everything will be okay. They now govern, and everything is not okay. Including a Secretary of State deciding whether or not he will vote for his own policy, before threatening, while be-winged by his own bull:censored:, to bring down the Government of whom he is a member, and explicitly denying the rule of law.

If you wanted Cameron, just say. Don't fanny around with your Liberals.

Even to Liberals, who are as unspeakable to me as any proper Nazi, Merry Christmas. And thanks and ggodbye to young Elwyn there. X