Amsterdam

Yard Dog

Planning to go with 2 other lads in late-Feb. Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in Amsterdam that isn't too dear ? Been a couple of times before but always end up staying somewhere that bears closer resemblance to a crack den than a hotel. Last place I stayed in over there was less that satisfactory - my 'bed' was a half-sized mattress squashed into an alcove no longer than 3ft. The room was supposed to be for 4 people and was about 6ft by 6ft.

Any tips on good websites to use for flights and accomm ?

Cheers in advance.

Recently stayed at The Movenpick which is a 10 min walk to the centre (or 1 stop on the tram) nice large hotel with decent sized rooms, located near the train station. We got a deal thro. airmiles so not so sure on the cost but would recommend the place.

Edited by DavidCollinge

I usually stayed at the Hotel Damrak.....which is obviously on the Damrak..the main thoroughfare from Central Station. Affordable and clean and close enough to find at 2 in the morning :censored: faced :wink:

Regarding flights...I always made the effort to drive to scouseland and fly Easyjet...cheapest by a country mile.

Cheers and enjoy and have one for me.....miss the place....been away far too long

Cheers guys.

@Hallam - been thinking about an apartment so that link has proved handy. Struggling to find a decent place that does 2 nights though - most of them want a min 3 night stay.

@DC - just looked at movenpick. Has some very good reviews and isn't as pricey as you might expect. If I was going with her I'd probably have it, but it's probably a little more classy than we need as 3 lads.

@Tick - that place has too many bad reviews on tripadvisor mate. You were probably too :censored:-faced to care. :lol:

@slurms - my mate had suggested ibis as well, and I vaguely recall wandering in last time I went to 'dam as some friends were staying there.

Think I'll plump for ibis, unless I can get an apartment for similar price.

I always recommend trying universities, especially if you aren't that fussed about facilities. They tend to be cheap, basic and OK. Like you say, not ideal if taking a bird but OK to pass out in. But then I'm the bloke who turned up in Beirut on spec and went haggling...

the first time we went we stayed on a boat, Hotel Botel, which was pretty cheap (near the train station, Dam Square)

the second time, we ended up in an ant infested hellhole

id rather go to Copenhagen on Feb 9th when England play Denmark :wink:

I love Amsterdam too. So looking forward to a big mash up. Might catch a dance/trance/house night if we can as well, Creeps.

But I do need to start branching out. Put off Copenhagen by people telling me it's mega dear. And I've always imagined it to be a bit straight-laced for us. Thinking Germany next - Hamburg, Berlin...mind, I expect they're not cheap places to drink etc.

Anyone been to Rotterdam?

Edited by Yard Dog

I love Amsterdam too. So looking forward to a big mash up. Might catch a dance/trance/house night if we can as well, Creeps.

But I do need to start branching out. Put off Copenhagen by people telling me it's mega dear. And I've always imagined it to be a bit straight-laced for us. Thinking Germany next - Hamburg, Berlin...mind, I expect they're not cheap places to drink etc.

Anyone been to Rotterdam?

Never been to Rotterdam but Berlin is class. Really cheap for a capital city too.

How do you get by in Berlin if your knowledge of the German language doesn't extend further than 'ooh aah ooh deutche' 'achtung' and 'sieg heil' ? Do most places embrace us crazy English pissheads?

They are more geared up to English than most.

Don't forget Britain and America owned half the city (and kept a military presence there) for many years.

How do you get by in Berlin if your knowledge of the German language doesn't extend further than 'ooh aah ooh deutche' 'achtung' and 'sieg heil' ? Do most places embrace us crazy English pissheads?

I can get by fairly well at the basics in German but they wouldn't let me speak it in Berlin, ask in German and get the reply in English. I think a lot of the barmen and so on are Polish anyway.

Sorry, anyone that would rather go anywhere other than Amsterdam anytime is wrong.

Best place in the world.

I thought it was awful. I went a couple of years ago and wouldn't go back.

Everything was overpriced, people were very rude, and I feared for my life every second I was there, due to kamikaze cyclists. Hated it.

I thought it was awful. I went a couple of years ago and wouldn't go back.

Everything was overpriced, people were very rude, and I feared for my life every second I was there, due to kamikaze cyclists. Hated it.

and the trams :grin:

nice, why didnt we think of that :grin:

tell Helga with the knee length leather boots on i said hello :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Top place - even though we stayed in some hostel resembling a crack den.

Take plenty of cash though, I went last summer for 3 night and you were talking €6 a beer in the 'average' bars and upwards of €8-10 in the 'better' places.