poor result today

The number of goals we concede from ' unmarked ' players is worrying, concentration and awareness appear to be lacking at times.

The worrying thing is that PD has highlighted this on numerous games this season - and yet it's still happening.

What's needed is a captain's performance from a central defender - someone to organise and control the defence - it's all perfectly well having attacking full backs but cover has to be there for the FB runs that break down. Clearly the experimentation with Jarrett in that role didn't work and other options appear to be non existant - OK, we have Trotman in reserve, but he would need a few games to reach match fitness let alone take up a captain's role.

It will be interesting to see how PD resolves this - perseverance? experimentation? new players? :huh:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see people defending Dean Brill, yes he has made errors in the past and his liable to mistakes, but so is all keepers. Some people are on his back before a ball has been kicked, yet like Furman he has improved his game over the last 12 months by alot and has made some vital and important saves.

As mentioned above Royle, then Penny and Dickov have never had Fleming as there first choice keeper? they must see something in Brill.

Tom, he's been better and is occasionally making the odd vital save but the dropped bollocks are still as frequent - Ian Moore's looped header he thought was going over so dropped his hands. Forte beat him too easily, iffy goals at Peterborough, the Bournemouth free-kick divided opinion, Brighton's winner was awful from all 5 of the defence, didn't move for Orient's equaliser (another ball across the goal-line), The Wright-Phillips goal was close to him yet he again took his hands away, He was pretty :censored: (in good company) at Accrington and his mistake v Exeter changed the game and all that before I've even seen today's goals.

Watch the DVD the club's released, I praise him when praise is due but I'm not going to defend him blindly. He's susceptible to any ball across him or across the box and anything hit close to him. If we are to do anything this year we need a steady Eddie in goal, not Fleming imo someone like Kelly - there must be a decent keeper out there available for peanuts look at the Pole Brentford nicked from Arsenal last season...

By the way well done to the 433 tics who went today

it was bleedin freezing....:censored: little ground with no atmoshphere..we looked bright very early doors and had we taken our chances n gone 2-0 up we would have been ok i think...pure n simple they wanted it more...we didnt perform how we can...didnt really have a shot until brooke came on...only good point was the foot long hot dogs,lol

Tom, he's been better and is occasionally making the odd vital save but the dropped bollocks are still as frequent - Ian Moore's looped header he thought was going over so dropped his hands. Forte beat him too easily, iffy goals at Peterborough, the Bournemouth free-kick divided opinion, Brighton's winner was awful from all 5 of the defence, didn't move for Orient's equaliser (another ball across the goal-line), The Wright-Phillips goal was close to him yet he again took his hands away, He was pretty :censored: (in good company) at Accrington and his mistake v Exeter changed the game and all that before I've even seen today's goals.

Watch the DVD the club's released, I praise him when praise is due but I'm not going to defend him blindly. He's susceptible to any ball across him or across the box and anything hit close to him. If we are to do anything this year we need a steady Eddie in goal, not Fleming imo someone like Kelly - there must be a decent keeper out there available for peanuts look at the Pole Brentford nicked from Arsenal last season...

And Rochdale game when it went across. Brizzle Rovers aswell, he pulls off the odd good save, but his mistakes and :censored:e distribution outweight the positives. I still think he would be better throwing it upfield rather than kicking it (any player who plays on our right wing must constantly have headaches because its hit them or they been hit that many times because he always kicks it their)

Think Brill will be gone at end of season, along with Fleming unless Fleming gets his chance and impresses

Ok but who else are we going to play in goal other than Fleming? seems alot of fans want Brill to fail before a ball been kicked.

Still Dickov we trust.

Ok but who else are we going to play in goal other than Fleming? seems alot of fans want Brill to fail before a ball been kicked.

Still Dickov we trust.

Fleming, Ollrenshaw (when back from loan) Gerrard..

Don't want him to fail, just the negatives outweigh the positives.

Had a bloke behind me picking on everything Brill did from moment one. Always kicking it to the right, what a div (like the manager doesn't decide that type of stuff). It really did make me wonder. However, the second goal he should certainly have gathered. And that changed the whole game.

Fleming for me.

Had a bloke behind me picking on everything Brill did from moment one. Always kicking it to the right, what a div (like the manager doesn't decide that type of stuff). It really did make me wonder. However, the second goal he should certainly have gathered. And that changed the whole game.

Fleming for me.

Manager/ GK Coach can tell him to vary his kicks.

And it wasnt me behind you (didnt go) :grin:

And Rochdale game when it went across.

Ridiculous to blame Brill for that goal. Hazell and their striker only just missed getting a touch on that cross. If Brill went for the cross the slightest of touches would have taken it inside the near post and Brill would have been slated for it. He stayed put, rightly, and gets slagged anyway. BTW, I don't rate Brill but some of the stick he gets is way OTT.

Ridiculous to blame Brill for that goal. Hazell and their striker only just missed getting a touch on that cross. If Brill went for the cross the slightest of touches would have taken it inside the near post and Brill would have been slated for it. He stayed put, rightly, and gets slagged anyway. BTW, I don't rate Brill but some of the stick he gets is way OTT.

Correctomundo.

If I recollect correckerlee. It was (a) good play by Dale and then; (B) Evina to a minor level.

Anyone blaming Brill for that must imagine that our keeper should be Schmeicelesque every game.

Correctomundo.

If I recollect correckerlee. It was (a) good play by Dale and then; (B) Evina to a minor level.

Anyone blaming Brill for that must imagine that our keeper should be Schmeicelesque every game.

So its wrong to expect a keeper to dive to his right/jumping forward inside his six yard box, to claim it?

Sorry but if Brill's diving/jumping outwards, how does that knock it into the net? No he didnt stay put rightly - if the ball is inside the six yard box, especially being crossed in, the keeper is meant to go for it, especially if within the posts.

1.) Anyone who wants to drop Hazell obviously didn't go to today's game- he was our best player by miles.

2.) Their third was a result of Mvoto being up front too. They break, Stephens has Humphries marked as the cross comes in but then looses him by the time the header back comes across and Humphries has a free header.

3.) I didn't see the handball but apparently it was one.

4.) Their second was a foul, Mvoto pulled him back but as the bloke behind me said if he really done something the bloke would have known about it.

5.) As Diego as already pointed out Brill made a very good save when we were winning. He couldn't do much for the 1st, 3rd and 4th, and I'm unconvinced about his ability to do much for the 2nd but I know where OS was supposedly sitting and he will have had a better view than me.

6.) The two big differences in the two teams today was the quality up front, their final ball was usually good (and ours usually wasn't) and their finishing was much better, aside from the save, they scored with almost every attack. Plus whilst the ref got at least one of the decisions which looked dubious right in my opinion he got an awful lot of stuff wrong as was seemingly very lenient about their foul play but strict with us. Case in point 2 of their players go down in their own box, both get treatment but neither goes off. We had a corner and should have been attacking with at least one of their players off the pitch, if not 2.

7.) Out of our back 4 only one had a decent game defensively, the rest were poor. The midfield didn't provide them with much support either. I think its been the way Hartlepool have played of late; they play counter attacking football with good wingers and people getting in the box from midfield (I'm still trying to work out who they actually played up front- I think it was Humphries and he isn't really a centre forward).

So its wrong to expect a keeper to dive to his right/jumping forward inside his six yard box, to claim it?

Sorry but if Brill's diving/jumping outwards, how does that knock it into the net? No he didnt stay put rightly - if the ball is inside the six yard box, especially being crossed in, the keeper is meant to go for it, especially if within the posts.

Agreed as a former keeper he should have at least knocked it away from goal it was like 2 yards away from Brill. Poor 'keeping.

Agreed as a former keeper he should have at least knocked it away from goal it was like 2 yards away from Brill. Poor 'keeping.

And as a former keeper, if Hazell or their striker (both three yards in front of Brill) had got a touch and deflected the ball inside the near post no doubt you'd have slagged him for diving for a ball that never reached him. Brill had two courses of action open to him both of which left him open to criticism from our unrealistic fans who are determined to examine every goal we concede and find a way to blame Brill. The lad is average, very average but criticism should be fair and level headed and in Brill's case, all too often it's anything but.

And as a former keeper, if Hazell or their striker (both three yards in front of Brill) had got a touch and deflected the ball inside the near post no doubt you'd have slagged him for diving for a ball that never reached him. Brill had two courses of action open to him both of which left him open to criticism from our unrealistic fans who are determined to examine every goal we concede and find a way to blame Brill. The lad is average, very average but criticism should be fair and level headed and in Brill's case, all too often it's anything but.

what else do you expect from latics fans ? should be used to it now lad !

Very sensible.

As i said yesterday, I find it quite amusing that after conceding 4 goals - the 1 constant name mentioned is Brill!! Why??

After seeing the highlights last night, to blame him for any is scapegoating at best.

Anyway, as you all were.

...the ref got at least one of the decisions which looked dubious right in my opinion he got an awful lot of stuff wrong as was seemingly very lenient about their foul play but strict with us. Case in point 2 of their players go down in their own box, both get treatment but neither goes off. We had a corner and should have been attacking with at least one of their players off the pitch, if not 2.

I never cease to be amazed that I still see things for the first time at a football match. I thought the ref had no discretion about players having to leave the field after treatment, but apparently I was wrong. :unsure:

7.) Out of our back 4 only one had a decent game defensively, the rest were poor. The midfield didn't provide them with much support either.

Agreed.

All the criticism of Brill is clouding the issue. Football is a simple game, but you can't play it without the ball. Yesterday, and many other times this season, 80% of the clearances went to Pool players, only for the pressure to be kept on Latics players and Pool's confidence to soar.

Apart from the first fifteen minutes or so, when Pool got the ball they passed it out of trouble and all looked comfortable on the ball. For the third goal, Latics were attacking in the Pool penalty area, when first one and then a second Pool player passed the ball over their own shoulder to another of their players. Then they swept downfield, over came the cross and the two headers, before the ball was in the back of the net.

Latics players never looked that comfortable on the ball and their play looked to come about more by good fortune and rebounds than by skill, with very few putting their foot on the ball to change direction.

A big improvement will be needed tomorrow. Form what I've seen of Dale, their midfielders can play and I will not be surprised if they create more chances than Latics. Dale may be fighting relegation but, if they win tomorrow, they will be only one point behind Latics. :blink:

What is needed is Huddersfield type performances on a consistent basis.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

I never cease to be amazed that I still things for the first time at a football match. I thought the ref had no discretion about players having to leave the field after treatment, but apparently I was wrong. :unsure:

Agreed.

All the criticism of Brill is clouding the issue. Football is a simple game, but you can't play it without the ball. Yesterday, and many other times this season, 80% of the clearances went to Pool players, only for the pressure to be kept on Latics players and Pool's confidence to soar.

Apart from the first fifteen minutes or so, when Pool got the ball they passed it out of trouble and all looked comfortable on the ball. For the third goal, Latics were attacking in the Pool penalty area, when first one and then a second Pool player passed the ball over their own shoulder to another of their players. Then they swept downfield, over came the cross and the two headers, before the ball was in the back of the net.

Latics players never looked that comfortable on the ball and their play looked to come about more by good fortune and rebounds than by skill, with very few putting their foot on the ball to change direction.

A big improvement will be needed tomorrow. Form what I've seen of Dale, their midfielders can play and I will not be surprised if they create more chances than Latics. Dale may be fighting relegation but, if they win tomorrow, they will be only one point behind Latics. :blink:

What is needed is Huddersfield type performances on a consistent basis.

we would be in brighton's place if that was how we play every week !

it was bleedin freezing....:censored: little ground with no atmoshphere..we looked bright very early doors and had we taken our chances n gone 2-0 up we would have been ok i think..pure n simple they wanted it more...we didnt perform how we can...didnt really have a shot until brooke came on...only good point was the foot long hot dogs,lol

If that's the case then those Latics players who didn't want it should be told in no uncertain terms thats not acceptable, and to buck their ideas up or replacements will be drafted in who do want it.

If that's the case then those Latics players who didn't want it should be told in no uncertain terms thats not acceptable, and to buck their ideas up or replacements will be drafted in who do want it.

but they know that wouldnt happen because as the term goes " we havnt got a pot to piss in" !