poor result today

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Evina is with us for free, Arsenal are picking up his tab. I don't know how sending him back will aid us is bringing someone else in?

Misunderstood (partly) my point. We can have a max of FIVE loanees, so if we're going to improve the defence/GK we'll have to ship one or two loanees out first.

we might have been bad today, but without playing for a month, and with Hartlepool on a good run, i wasnt expecting us to win in the first place. We've only lost four games all season, haven't lost at home and are playing some decent football. if we win against dale, we can go on from there. 3 games in hand over the team in sixth too.

Misunderstood (partly) my point. We can have a max of FIVE loanees, so if we're going to improve the defence/GK we'll have to ship one or two loanees out first.

Yup, I see. But I can't see who we'd sign seeing that we haven't a pot to piss in and hence the reason why so many loan signings this season. Perhaps rather than running out trying to find the first GK we can find, maybe give Fleming a try in goal? We have Trotman in on loan (providing he stays) so I think we have plenty of cover in defence for a few options.

maybe give Fleming a try in goal?

I did wonder if PD was starting to lean that way. We've had Gerrard on the bench all season, but Fleming came in for the postponed Colchester game and again today. Is PD making Deano up his game with Fleming around, or is he giving Brill a chance before Fleming steps up.

Only one thing worries me. Brill's come in for a right old bashing in the past, some of it deserved, and it doesn't take long for the knives to come out again. Will Fleming come in for the same treatment the first time he makes a mistake and have his confidence shattered the way Brill's was, hence Flahavalavahavalavan coming in on loan?

I did wonder if PD was starting to lean that way. We've had Gerrard on the bench all season, but Fleming came in for the postponed Colchester game and again today. Is PD making Deano up his game with Fleming around, or is he giving Brill a chance before Fleming steps up.

Only one thing worries me. Brill's come in for a right old bashing in the past, some of it deserved, and it doesn't take long for the knives to come out again. Will Fleming come in for the same treatment the first time he makes a mistake and have his confidence shattered the way Brill's was, hence Flahavalavahavalavan coming in on loan?

Fleming was far from perfect last time round but never came in for much stick as far as I remember

All keepers will make mistakes at our level - it's the nature of Brills mistakes that are the problem

Fleming wont get the abuse straight away - Tics dont often abuse their keepers much, but Brill changed it all last season with some pathetic performances, some worse than a school team performance for a goalkeeper..

Fleming deserves a chance, especially with all the mistakes Brill keeps doing e.g. not doing the basics and claiming crosses, commanding his area..

just got back

4-2 game but funny thing is i don't think anyone can say we were battered. Hartlepool were gifted their first 2 goals - never a penalty as hazell hooked it away over his head and it hit their guy on the back of his head and then onto the arm of whoever it was.

2nd was never a foul, in saying that Lee let him get the wrong side so guess wether a foul or not is irrelevant. 3rd and 4th was shcking defending, free men in all cases from cross and long balls forward.

Going forward were we good 1st half before the equaliser and in the 2nd for the last 15. We loked leggy 2nd half which was always going to happen, but what i dont get is why have two well-suited wiingers and play them on opposite flanks?

White should be LW and Morais RW where he did all the damage vs Hudds?

Only when Evina came on did we actually give our wingers the ball and then he put two great crosses into the box. Black was poor though, it has to be said

Win vs Dale and with a bit of luck we will be back into win mode, we need 2 or 3 on the bounce to get the rythm and mentality back again.

Team v Dale:

Brill

Lee Hazell Mvoto Evina

Morais Furman Stephens White

Taylor

Tonkara

Fleming was far from perfect last time round but never came in for much stick as far as I remember

All keepers will make mistakes at our level - it's the nature of Brills mistakes that are the problem

Yup. I recall Fleming as a bloody good shot stopper and commanding the box more than Brill. He had mental aberrations charging into no-man's land and giving pens away (he did save the odd one though), but I still think it's worth a go. Given his chance, I think he could actually be a better keeper than Brill in the future.

Just got back and my take on today is. We never looked up for game,they are a good side BUT we gave them all the encouragement they needed. Stevens,and Furman just never got in the game, m'voto looked like he had just woke up after being asleep for 5 weeks, Blackie had a shocker, and up front everybody looked powder puff, and whilst not blaming Brill directly for any of the goals I never cease to be amazed that he never seems to make any saves, surely any keeper should stop a certain percentage of shots that come at him, and I cant figure out why our keeper does not do that. All in all one to forget. Geoff.

Looks like it might take Jean a couple of games to get back into his stride. 4th goal came as a result of us chasing the game but sod it, rather do that and have a go - it's what people were crying out for last season. Shame we couldn't convert another chance late on to really have a go at them in the 6 minutes added time.

Taking the lead I thought we could get something from the game. Again conceding close to the end of a half cost us. We'll get there though, plenty of games to look forward to.

Looks like it might take Jean a couple of games to get back into his stride. 4th goal came as a result of us chasing the game but sod it, rather do that and have a go - it's what people were crying out for last season. Shame we couldn't convert another chance late on to really have a go at them in the 6 minutes added time.

Taking the lead I thought we could get something from the game. Again conceding close to the end of a half cost us. We'll get there though, plenty of games to look forward to.

He's a big old unit and it took him until October to get into his stride, since then he's been superb so as you say probably will need a few games (as will his mates) to rediscover that all important sharpness. Three home games in a week should help...

... whilst not blaming Brill directly for any of the goals I never cease to be amazed that he never seems to make any saves, surely any keeper should stop a certain percentage of shots that come at him, and I cant figure out why our keeper does not do that.

In fairness Brill has made crucial saves to keep the team in the game on several occasions this season. Again today he made a good save diving low to his right to keep out Sweeney's drive at 1-0, before it all went pear-shaped.

In fairness Brill has made crucial saves to keep the team in the game on several occasions this season. Again today he made a good save diving low to his right to keep out Sweeney's drive at 1-0, before it all went pear-shaped.

Agree. Fleming has the worst timing fora keeper I have ever seen. How many penalties did he give away for coming out to early.

Well, he does owe it alot from last season, never saw such a pathetic wall set up, has improved this season, but have seen weaknesses with it. He seems to have more blunders than good saves though, take exeters first goal, that was easy to catch, and after it was rolling to their player and he hesitated and didnt charge, when if he had charged he would have easily got it. Think we'll be seeing Fleming soon anyway, didnt PD say not one player would play in every game this season because we have that many?

Agree. Fleming has the worst timing fora keeper I have ever seen. How many penalties did he give away for coming out to early.

He also saved a few of them.. Rather keeper is prepared to come out for the ball therefore reducing how much the opposition has to aim for, than stay rooted..

I didn't go today and thus have yet to see the goals from today, but from I've seen of Brill last season and half I would say he is a good League 1 'keeper. The stick he gets is alot of the time out of order, his claiming of crosses isn't good enough. In fairness to him though if he isn't confident to come to claim it, he needs to stay put otherwise he only ever going to drop the ball. His kicking his bad that simple although lets be honest that doesn't make a 'keeper. He made some amazing saves, though, and deserves more credit.

i think we should look at the defence before brill, if we let players run free on the box this will happen, :censored:e defending for the most part today!!

The number of goals we concede from ' unmarked ' players is worrying, concentration and awareness appear to be lacking at times.

Good to see people defending Dean Brill, yes he has made errors in the past and his liable to mistakes, but so is all keepers. Some people are on his back before a ball has been kicked, yet like Furman he has improved his game over the last 12 months by alot and has made some vital and important saves.

As mentioned above Royle, then Penny and Dickov have never had Fleming as there first choice keeper? they must see something in Brill.