Get Gregan back and we'll go up.

We're not exactly doing too bad without him (Gregan). Stop panicking people. And keep your expectations in check. We are a mid-table side. Any higher than a top 10 finish is bloody good going.

If we need to strengthen anywhere, then for me it is upfront - out and out 20 goal a season striker needed....but they're hard to come by, even when you've got a few quid, and when you haven't, they're even harder to come by. Gone are the days when we could loan in a Becket or Hughes for a few bag a week.

Edited by Yard Dog

I don't think getting gregan back is the answer at all.

a 20 goal a season striker is easy to quantify

he's the defensive equivalent of a 20 a season striker

and regardless of his own efforts that defence needs marshalling properly - how many of those goals yesterday did their man get goalside?? 3?

We're not exactly doing too bad without him (Gregan). Stop panicking people. And keep your expectations in check. We are a mid-table side. Any higher than a top 10 finish is bloody good going.

If we need to strengthen anywhere, then for me it is upfront - out and out 20 goal a season striker needed....but they're hard to come by, even when you've got a few quid, and when you haven't, they're even harder to come by. Gone are the days when we could loan in a Becket or Hughes for a few bag a week.

I think most managers now try to adopt a line of forward players who are capable of interchanging position and although we're at a lower level I think Dickov is trying to get us to play in this particular way by playing Taylor just behind Tounkara

I think most managers now try to adopt a line of forward players who are capable of interchanging position and although we're at a lower level I think Dickov is trying to get us to play in this particular way by playing Taylor just behind Tounkara

I understand what you are saying, but look at the teams who are most successful in the bottom two leagues. They usually have at least two players bagging more than 15 each.

have you got that the right way round?

he was our ever present player of the season LAST season. i.e. our best player by a mile 7 months ago

Its been said though that last season suited Gregan because we played so deep it meant that Gregan was never turned and caught for a lack of pace. If we bring Gregan back he will be caught for pace and will be a liability to accomodate him we would have to play 20 yards deeper. We miss his leadership no doubt about that but I think its time we moved on a shame but sometimes tough decisions have to be made

Losing to a team like hartlepool, at home, by 6 goals, when they haven't scored for 8 games and haven't even got a draw in the last 12, and only came up this season, having spent the last 10 years climbing from below the beazer homes league gives every reason to panic.

Edit - Sorry, it was away

Edit - It was by 2 goals

Edit - they are on a winning run

Edit - You get the picture?

We lost a game.

Our defence is :censored:

He was effectively a one man defence last season. Many have said he kept us up single handedly.

getting him back in our defence will result in us conceding less goals

won't it?

Is Tom Davies still knocking about, get him upfront as well, job sorted :grin:

Our defence is :censored:

He was effectively a one man defence last season. Many have said he kept us up single handedly.

getting him back in our defence will result in us conceding less goals

won't it?

I don't think there is any chance of him playing for us again, but he is still a way better player and centre half than either Hazell or Mvoto.

3 points on New Years day and we're in touching distance of top 2 and yet after a defeat, conceding 4 goals, our defence is :censored:??? :lol: Honestly!!!

It's about expectations and ambition. The part of me that is just relieved that the season has been fun isn't worried. The part of me that dreams of promotion knows we need to improve at left back, centre half and goalkeeper.

It's about expectations and ambition. The part of me that is just relieved that the season has been fun isn't worried. The part of me that dreams of promotion knows we need to improve at left back, centre half and goalkeeper.

Spot on with the GK, LB & CB. Left back is a must - decent experienced player needed.

Now that's a more constructive way of putting it than the original poster :wink:

Now that's a more constructive way of putting it than the original poster :wink:

greegan last season undoubtedly best player in a very mediocre team....this season he would be chasing shadows with the punishment his body took,plus his age...he will always have a footballing brain and the ability to be in the correct position,and the ability to cajole and encourage people around him...just unfortunatley he is too slow for this team....now greegan the coach is another matter entirely...

Gregan was great last season but as mentioned above we played deeper, when read Dickov saying Latics were going to push up and defend from front I said to my dad Gregan would struggle with that, to be honest last seaon we conceded a fair few from strikers getting in behind Gregan. Agree Black isn't good enough (yet) but I see this season as one to build on for next season, which means stick I think we should stick with him and let him get the expirence he needs to improve.

Gregan was great last season but as mentioned above we played deeper, when read Dickov saying Latics were going to push up and defend from front I said to my dad Gregan would struggle with that, to be honest last seaon we conceded a fair few from strikers getting in behind Gregan. Agree Black isn't good enough (yet) but I see this season as one to build on for next season, which means stick I think we should stick with him and let him get the expirence he needs to improve.

he's been around long enough now

do we really want to give him as much time as Smalley & Lomax?

he's not a bad player but we need a left back as good as our right back

Paul, please just eat crow and accept you made a misjudgement, it'd be much more encouraging to see a manager who learns from mistakes. A player doesn't go from being one of the best defenders in "league one" to "blue square premier" quality in 4 or so months. Get Sean back in the team. He may be old, he may be slow and he might not play at the tempo as Mvoto or Hazell, but damn we'd make less defensive errors. Is any one actually going to argue a case that Mvoto AND Hazell are better than Gregan?

I don't agree that we get Gregan back and we go up. We get Gregan back and we have a real leader to sort the mess out at the back, starting with set pieces.