Dean Brill - Why?

On the plus side Brill yet again saved a penalty and almost headed in an equaliser.

All keepers punch the ball, it's not like he chose to punch it instead of catch it for a laugh, it's circumstantial, he was being bombbared by O'Grady, if he tries to catch that and just a slight nudge from one of their players during the 50/50 to get the ball and Brill is dropping it and they're tapping it in. He punched it away, Dale got it back, came forward and Hazell gave away a penalty. Dean did what he could to prevent them from scoring, wasn't enough.

I'm more concerned why our manager, who happens to play as a striker doesn't feel like we need a goalscoring striker up front and insists on playing a winger up top instead. Listen Paulie, you signed Feeney, he's probably in our top 3 highest earners, might as well give him a run in the team now. Because lord knows Tounkara and Taylor aren't overflowing with goals. Let Taylor do what he does best, cut in from the left. Let Tounkara be the awkward target man that he is and let Feeney try and earn his wage and bag a few. Either that or give Brooke a run in the team.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the plus side Brill yet again saved a penalty and almost headed in an equaliser.

All keepers punch the ball, it's not like he chose to punch it instead of catch it for a laugh, it's circumstantial, he was being bombbared by O'Grady, if he tries to catch that and just a slight nudge from one of their players during the 50/50 to get the ball and Brill is dropping it and they're tapping it in. He punched it away, Dale got it back, came forward and Hazell gave away a penalty. Dean did what he could to prevent them from scoring, wasn't enough.

I'm more concerned why our manager, who happens to play as a striker doesn't feel like we need a goalscoring striker up front and insists on playing a winger up top instead. Listen Paulie, you signed Feeney, he's probably in our top 3 highest earners, might as well give him a run in the team now. Because lord knows Tounkara and Taylor aren't overflowing with goals. Let Taylor do what he does best, cut in from the left. Let Tounkara be the awkward target man that he is and let Feeney try and earn his wage and bag a few. Either that or give Brooke a run in the team.

Surely Brooke is back to full fitness now...?

1. The penno hit the post.

2. It was a free header from six yards out. Keeper or not, he should have scored.

Ah, thought he saved the penalty. But I didn't have a great view from the back of the Chaddy. I just assumed given that he's saved a fair few penalties for us already that he saved this one.

I'll have to see it again to judge about the header. Don't recall it being that easy, thought it was from around the penalty spot.

"Main stand moaner 1" was on at Brill from the start. This doesn't help the cause.

That said, he didn't have a lot to do today, but what he did have to do he made a mess of.

The fact is, overall, he's done alright (not great) and we can't afford better, so we might aswell back him.

I honestly thought Brill should have punched when he did for the penalty. The shot moved about quite a lot and if he went and dropped it (which he is more prone to do than others), you'd all be moaning that he should have punched it. I'd much rather my goalie punched than drop the ball. The same with the one in the air- I don't think he could catch it- he jumped over someone to punch it, the problem was the Dale bloke challenging for the ball didn't have an Oldham anywhere near him aside from Brill.

O'Grady's second wasn't from that tight an angle, I'd expect most forwards to score in that situation (although perhaps the more sensible option was the pass to the other bloke who would have had a tap-in).

I think Brill isn't as good as we need to go up- but there are far worse goalies in this league. We've had 2 different managerial teams pick him instead of Fleming, but obviously the internet managers on here know different. I'd be looking for a new goalie BUT it wouldn't be the priority for me and would only get one at a price we can afford.

Hit post.

Would of been better to catch in that circumstance he was in - he would of got both hands on the ball, and if had dropped likely he would be given a free kick. He had 2/3 chances to catch, or clear it with a better punch because he got a good connection on it each time.

He'll be here for the rest of the season. He won't get a new contract. Then he is gone.

And that end of the season can't come quick enough.............

Brill was a liability last season under Penney and his band of clowns. Brill is still a liability this season under an improved management / coaching team.

It speaks volumes about how they rate Fleming (or not more to the point) that the muppet continues to start games for us.

His "punching" today was laughable. I square the blame for the 1st goal at Brill & Hazells door; if Brill had done his job and come and claimed the ball properly, Reubes wouldnt have had to have 'challenged' like he did.

Anyone who watched the Hudds Vs Sheff Weds game on Sky in the early kick-off saw the standard of league 1 'Keeper needed if you hope to achieve anything in the league. Alex Smithies is that example. It's called coming off yor line, being positive, claiming the ball & keeping hold of it, and coming through & clattering out of the way anything that is in your way. Oh, and being nice & vocal too. Oh, and being a good shot-stopper too. He did that all game for Hudds.

We wont achieve what all of us hope we will achieve with Dean Brill as our 'Keeper. He just simply isn't good enough.....in fact he's miles away from being remotely good enough.

Edited by slystallone

So Brill should have caught the ball twice (not 3 times) in the incident leading to the penalty instead of punching it and that cost us the game.

Obviously then in your minds the more obvious blunders of Captain Marvel had nothing to do with it, nor the partucularly poor efforts of Taylor and Evina who had their worst games to date this season. (not slagging them off just stating it as I see it)

What about the sloppy play in general in the 1st half where we didn't get hold of the game? Is that Brill's fault as well?

And thats before we start on the referee.

You really need to get a grip. You can make a case for just about every player in the team not being good enough after 1 game or another and some of you as ever have got your petty scapegoats. You keep your powder dry until said nominated player just hints at making a mistake then wham bam start the slagging off. When one scapegoat is sold/moves on you just start on someone else. Quite frankly it's pathetic.

The fact is that PD took over a squad with a set budget and certain players under contract. Some he decided to move on asap, some he decided to keep and then bring others in. Over the next 12-18 months, he will move others on and attempt to bring in better within his budget. Who knows what his thoughts are on any of the players, but 1 thing I am convinced of is that he knows what he needs and he knows better than any of us how to prioritise what he needs most and I assume from what he has done to date that a new keeper is not yet top of the agenda.

So Brill should have caught the ball twice (not 3 times) in the incident leading to the penalty instead of punching it and that cost us the game.

Obviously then in your minds the more obvious blunders of Captain Marvel had nothing to do with it, nor the partucularly poor efforts of Taylor and Evina who had their worst games to date this season. (not slagging them off just stating it as I see it)

What about the sloppy play in general in the 1st half where we didn't get hold of the game? Is that Brill's fault as well?

And thats before we start on the referee.

You really need to get a grip. You can make a case for just about every player in the team not being good enough after 1 game or another and some of you as ever have got your petty scapegoats. You keep your powder dry until said nominated player just hints at making a mistake then wham bam start the slagging off. When one scapegoat is sold/moves on you just start on someone else. Quite frankly it's pathetic.

The fact is that PD took over a squad with a set budget and certain players under contract. Some he decided to move on asap, some he decided to keep and then bring others in. Over the next 12-18 months, he will move others on and attempt to bring in better within his budget. Who knows what his thoughts are on any of the players, but 1 thing I am convinced of is that he knows what he needs and he knows better than any of us how to prioritise what he needs most and I assume from what he has done to date that a new keeper is not yet top of the agenda.

its been a season and a half in brill's case.

1. The penno hit the post.

Might have,but for the third time this season(iirc ohh text speak).The oppo have missed a penalty and have scored the re-bound with all our defence/midfield not reacting at all.Yes Brill is not so Brill,but you can't blame hime for everything........................Hazell meanwhile!!!

I wouldn't dismiss the Brill haters so much if they gave him his dues and praise when he deserves it. But they don't.....I guess that's what makes them haters. Brill's number was up after his first few games here, he couldn't shake off his shakey start here and the fans pile it on him as a result. If he messes up, the fans are in uproar, they're feel vindicated, he should be dropped. If he does well, most will remain quiet on the topic, he might gain the sarcastic compliment like"Oh wow, Brill saved a free kick" or have his performance downplayed like "Brill didn't have much to do", even comments of the "Any keeper should make that save" ilk. Fact is, he didn't play well today, but how many on the team did? Brill throughout the season has been solid enough, any keeper is entitled to a mare or two a season and by all accounts you couldn't even consider today a mare. I can't speak for Hartlepool, because I wasn't there, but again, the team sounds more accountable than one player, from what I read.

talyor is not the one constantly losing us points.

Really!!!!. Surely you can't have missed his "attempt" at marking the scorer for Hartlepools 2nd goal on Saturday when he chose to look just at the man and was facing away from the ball, allowing his man to wander in for a free header at the far post. Or are you blaming Brill for that? What about the times he moans at the referee instead of concentrating on the game and missing/losing possession, again as at Hartlepool on Saturday as an eg.

Taylor does cost us points and I would hazard a guess that he has cost us at least as many if not more than Brill, with his misses and other mistakes this season. Even Captain Beckenbaur has cost us more points that DB this season

Harry Dowds Green Shirt.... yes some of the others may have played bad today and in other games, but when was the last time you came out of a game saying Brill had a realy good game today. He has a wooden leg, he doesnt come off his line and he hasnt been doing much shot stopping. Look at Arsenal, lots of players have the odd bad game and some more than others but everybody knows they won't win the title until they get a keeper. We are the same, we have no chance of promotion with Brill in goal.

Mr Star Player is losing us points when he fails to score or create goal scoring chances for us to win the game.

who said he is a star player? he is far from it !! he isint the only person though who can set up and score goals, brill is the only one on the pitch where one bad judgement or mistake costs us goals which cost us points in the end.

Harry Dowds Green Shirt.... yes some of the others may have played bad today and in other games, but when was the last time you came out of a game saying Brill had a realy good game today. He has a wooden leg, he doesnt come off his line and he hasnt been doing much shot stopping. Look at Arsenal, lots of players have the odd bad game and some more than others but everybody knows they won't win the title until they get a keeper. We are the same, we have no chance of promotion with Brill in goal.

To be fair to the lad he doesn't exactly get much chance with the way we are playing this season does he. How many attempts did Hartlepool have on target on Saturday? It was 5. The first was a peanalty, the 2nd was a cross that Taylor failed to clear the 3rd was a free header given to Humphreys from a nod back acorss the 6 yard line that Lee failed to challenge and the 4th was where Hazell and Black didn't put challenges in allowing the Hartlepool player an unchallenged shot. He saved the 1 they didn't score from. How many did Rochdale have on target today? It was 3. The first was a rebound from a penalty that our defenders failed to be the 1st to react to, the second came from a back pass from Rubes that was hopelessly short and the 3rd he tipped over the bar.

You say he doesn't come for crosses yet your critising him for punching the ball instead of cathcing the cross. All those were challenges in or outside the 6 yard box that he came for.

To be fair to Brill he does come for the crosses. It's usually the fact that he drops 1 or 2 that people critisise.

He still hasn't done enough to convince that he is a long term solution, but since PD came in he is much improved and far from our most pressing problem. I'll leave it to the manager to decide when/if a new keeper becomes the top priority

So what!! It's been 5 seasons in Taylors case and he is nowhere near what he was then.

Taylors actually looked like being a good player though, Brill has made a few good saves, but he has cost us more points than won us. If you go to punchh the ball, you need to get a good connection and get it far, which Brill didnt do, once he went at it with two fists together, when they could of easily been two open hands catching the ball.