plymouth v latics ..

I agree with all the people on here who were saying its time to drop Stephens and Tounkara :grin:

To be fair, a player getting a goal doesn't make people's judgements based on previous games wrong, any more than people wanting to keep Tonk or Stephens in the team would have been wrong if one of them had skied the shots that went in. Wisdom after the event and all that.

I think fans are expecting far too much from Stephens and because he doesn't track back as much or as well as Furman (which masks his faults) he's considered to be a poorer player.

I think Stephens has the problem that his performances earlier on in the season (and when he broke in to the team last season) were of great promise. He hasn't played as well as we know he can and it's natural for supporters to benchmark him against what they've seen him deliver.

That said, I don't think we have an obvious replacement in the side (I think he's a better player than Jones) and while he hasn't been perfect his performances haven't been as poor as many on these boards suggest.

I think Stephens has the problem that his performances earlier on in the season (and when he broke in to the team last season) were of great promise. He hasn't played as well as we know he can and it's natural for supporters to benchmark him against what they've seen him deliver.

That said, I don't think we have an obvious replacement in the side (I think he's a better player than Jones) and while he hasn't been perfect his performances haven't been as poor as many on these boards suggest.

He doesn't need replacing. Without him I'd suggest we have scored at least 10 less goals than we have currently. He is a very important player.

Just back home as live in cornwall and it must be said how well we played and just how bad are argyle, all they could do was hoof the ball as far as possible which did give them 1 early chance which they blazed over, but apart from that there was only ever going to be 1 winner. well done PD for shaking it up as both feeney and jones worked tirelessly all game and it was great to see taylor back where he belongs on the wing, so here my ratings , feel free to disagree lol

AMOS-7...Looked assured and came for every cross and although very little to do , what he did do he did well

BLACK-6...Owing to them just hoofing it down the middle had little to do but tried to get forward and support taylor

HAZELL-7...Made a hash of there early hoof nearly costing us a goal but as the game wore on both centre backs got better and better

TROTMAN-9.. My MOM was commanding against there hoofs and never put a foot wrong all game and threw himself in front of shots when needed, awesome game

LEE-7...Steady game , got forward and did as well as expected, never in any trouble

JONES-6...Took his time to get into game but another who got better the longer the game went on, linked well with feeney all game

STEPHENS-7..Took his goal well and passed the ball around nicely,looked back to his best on occasions

FURMAN-7...Steady game always snapping around and another unsung hero today

TAYLOR-8...Excellent back out on the wing and a great jinking run to set up 1st goal, hope PD plays him there for rest of season

FEENEY-8...Never stopped running and sure of run in the team now although asto his goal threat im not sure but deserves a go

TOUNKARE-7...Smashed in the 2nd goal from about the penalty spot after an almighty scramble but held ball up well and linked with anyone who was around, good performance

Altogether a professional performance albeit againgst what was a very poor plymuff team

Fair assessment overall. Plymouth were so one-dimensional and as soon as Trotman and Hazell dropped a bit deeper midway through the 1st half they offered nothing going forward. Dickov got it tactically spot on. We offered very little in the 1st half against the wind but were set up well enough defensively that 0-0 half time was inevitable. 2nd half Tounkara and Feeney found space a lot easier and the dynamic of the game changed. Great work by Taylor for the 1st goal and almighty scramble for the 2nd, but if the if Tounkara hadn't put it away I would've been fuming at the assistant for not giving the goal earlier. Agree with the ratings except for Feeney, he works hard but really doesn't offer an obvious attacking threat, it will be interesting to see if he forms a good partnership with Tounkara in the time he gets but while 4-4-2 worked well today, 4-4-1-1 with Morais and Evina on the flanks and Taylor through the middle makes the team work better going forward. Taylor did well today but he's much more effective through the middle, still looks awkward on the left imo. Amos looks assured too.

Final mention has to go to Trotman, welcome back big man! No other centre-back in the league makes me feel as confident about keeping a clean sheet as him. If we are to challenge for the playoffs he will play a vital role.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

It was like playing one of Ronnie Moore's sides. Anyone watching from the side stands will have stiff necks tonight. They had one man, Bolasie, with real pace and no little skill so their plan was just lump it through the middle and see if he could get on the end of it, which he did once, outpacing Rubes and clipping the top of the bar.

PD got his tactics spot on today and didn't even use a sub. I was surprised Jones was in, but he got better as the game progressed and Feeney worked really hard without being a goal threat. There were some misplaced passes from Stephens, Furman and Black, plus the odd poor first touch from Tounkara but, on every occasion, they tackled back and fought for the ball.

Lee was solid and got forward when he could. Amos looks very confident and, although he didn't have a save to make, his handling was excellent and took crosses with no trouble at all. Welcome back, Chris Taylor. He's getting back to where he was a couple of years ago, took the full back on, didn't always cut inside, crossed with his left foot several times and his run through their defence for Stephens' goal is worth watching over and over again - wing play at its best.

At the back, Hazell looked assured and composed, did very little wrong and played some good balls out of defence. But Trotman was my MOM; he was awesome. When you consider how little he's played in the last year or so, it makes his performance even better; solid, won headers, got some great tackles in certainly let them know he was around.

What was also encouraging was the ease with which players switched around. When Taylor went down the middle, someone else would go wide left. The same with Jones when he came inside. When Trotters went off for treatment, Stephens or Furman dropped back to cover and we even had Rubes on the right wing for a while following a corner.

This was a superb response to Tuesday's drubbing and we could have won by 3 or 4. The clean sheet was well deserved so praise goes to each and every one of them, players, management, the lot.

Ratings? I'd go for Amos 7, Lee 7, Hazell 8, Trotters 9, Black 7, Jones 6.5 (nearly a 7), Furball 8, Stephens, 8, Taylor 8.5, Feeney 7, Tounkara 7.

Edited by Bristolatic

Ratings? I'd go for Amos 7, Lee 7, Hazell 8, Trotters 9, Black 7, Jones 6.5 (nearly a 7), Furball 8, Stephens, 8, Taylor 8.5, Feeney 7, Tounkara 7.

About right - I'd give Amos an 8 though - very good command of his area gave the defence confidence. Only one flap too.

As the Plymuff fans were leaving in their droves when Tonk got the 2nd, the chant was "Is this is a fire drill, is this a fire drill". Brilliant. :lol:

hahahahahahaha. Such wit from people who've been awake since 5.30am. Makes you proud. :grin:

I thought I was the only person in the world who thinks the best world cup goal of all time was an own goal. 'Kin Butcher.

+ 1.

I've always said it was an own goal, although I didn't think Butcher was the culprit. Nothing will convince me that the poisoned dwarf put the ball in the net, after dribbling from the half-way line, in what has been voted the best World Cup goal ever - what a joke!

Two clean sheets in three games.

A shift from Feeney if I've understood reports correctly.

An away goal from Tonk - the first of many hopefully.

Three points on the board.

The "off form" Stephens with a goal (created from a Taylor run down the left).

Tuesday night well and truly forgotten.

Full credit to all involved in getting that result.

great result after tuesday,and a change of personel and move around..two strikers and taylor back to wing,just hope this is how it carrys on now,everyone could see taylor isnt a striker,always best out wide...they have to keep this up now,the standard has been set again and promotion is a reality if they want it.

Fair assessment overall. Plymouth were so one-dimensional and as soon as Trotman and Hazell dropped a bit deeper midway through the 1st half they offered nothing going forward. Dickov got it tactically spot on. We offered very little in the 1st half against the wind but were set up well enough defensively that 0-0 half time was inevitable. 2nd half Tounkara and Feeney found space a lot easier and the dynamic of the game changed. Great work by Taylor for the 1st goal and almighty scramble for the 2nd, but if the if Tounkara hadn't put it away I would've been fuming at the assistant for not giving the goal earlier. Agree with the ratings except for Feeney, he works hard but really doesn't offer an obvious attacking threat, it will be interesting to see if he forms a good partnership with Tounkara in the time he gets but while 4-4-2 worked well today, 4-4-1-1 with Morais and Evina on the flanks and Taylor through the middle makes the team work better going forward. Taylor did well today but he's much more effective through the middle, still looks awkward on the left imo. Amos looks assured too.

Final mention has to go to Trotman, welcome back big man! No other centre-back in the league makes me feel as confident about keeping a clean sheet as him. If we are to challenge for the playoffs he will play a vital role.

I'm Feeneys worst critic but yesterday he was far better than 'not offering an attacking threat' he kept a lot of the attacks live by switching play with Jones & Taylor and linking in with Feeney. A great performance for someone who often looks laboured to get out of bed.

dont get me wrong , i couldnt give a toss cause we took 3 points, but we were very average , just that plymouth were shockingly bad. trotman must have played with a magnet on his forehead , won every long ball plymouth hit. supporters were an absolute credit to the club 179 sounded like 300, if both clubs are in the same division next year will definitely make the trip again, a brilliant weekend and tuesday is nearly forgotten .

great result after tuesday,and a change of personel and move around..two strikers and taylor back to wing,just hope this is how it carrys on now,everyone could see taylor isnt a striker,always best out wide...they have to keep this up now,the standard has been set again and promotion is a reality if they want it.

Definitely a better formation away from home - looked tighter all across the pitch.

Only thing was that early on we had pushed too high up the pitch and hence were caught with a couple of balls over the top. When we dropped deeper that helped nullify the threat from Borlasie who was their best player (he won the sponsor's MoM).

This was a great bounce back and all played well - Feeney worked as hard as I have seen him (without really threatening the goal) and Trotman was pivotal at the back.

But for me the player who epitomised the team's performance was Chris Taylor - never stopped working and was instrumental in a number of moves both going forward and chasing back.

Definitely my MoM. Nice one Chris :wink: