Andy Gray and Richard Keys disciplined

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OTT if true.

Disagree... It would be an issue if I said similar comments about a female in the office I am at in at the moment. Lets not forget they where in a place of employment when they said and not down the local pub etc. Its very much an issue for their employers and they shouldn't turn a blind eye.

A normal employee could expect final written I would of thought. These guys are no doubt contractors whos contracts can be ripped up no doubt with little or no notice.

Edited by oafc0000

Someone who has done far more for women's equality in sport than Sian Massey will ever do- Rachel Heyhoe-Flint has put down the comments as banter. (its on the bottom of the link Ackey posted above).

I think for Sky to be taking the hard line on this is a bit rich- does anyone believe the likes of Georgie Thompson, Alex Hammond et. al. would have their jobs if they were not good looking? I'm not one to comment but the likes of Jeff Stelling are not exactly beating them off with a stick. Sky can't employ pretty women for the purposes of being pretty and then discipline their employees for being sexist.

Its also interesting to note that of all the female officials on the various lists, she is one of the least experienced, we've had one run the line a couple of times- Ihringova and I don't remember her making a bad decision but she hasn't run the line in a Premiership game yet. If they had slagged her off for being too inexperienced would that have been as bad?

As people have already said where did this audio come from- its all a bit too grainy sounding, in fact if it came of a mike why does the audio (like Gordon Brown's bigoted woman audio) sound so much better? Seems a bit of a set-up to me.

Despite all the above I still think Sky are right to take them to account but to sack them for it- is a bit OTT. If we sacked everyone that made sexist comments in the workplace we'd have about 10% of the midwives we do at the moment for a start.

One final point- she got a tough call spot on. I'd much rather she was running the line at Walsall tonight as opposed to Gresty Road.

Someone who has done far more for women's equality in sport than Sian Massey will ever do- Rachel Heyhoe-Flint has put down the comments as banter. (its on the bottom of the link Ackey posted above).

That's like calling Drogba a nigger but Frank Bruno coming out and saying it was just banter.

having heard it it certainly doesnt sound like banter - (it also doesnt sound like one continuous conversation either)

I am still having a really really hard time putting the comments in the same league as calling black people the n word. It seems to be a widely held viewpoint but I just cant see it. Is it that everyones feelings are now held to be so equal that all denigrations are to be held to be of the same weight? I'm living in a Harriet Harman universe and I dont like it much.

That's like calling Drogba a nigger but Frank Bruno coming out and saying it was just banter.

Yeah it is- but Heyhoe-Flint has more gravitas behind the "Its only banter" comment than some of the comments I've heard elsewhere (including here). If I believed it was just banter I would have said so.

On the flipside, Kelly Cates' (nee Dalgilsh) tweet about it is far funnier than some of the other stuff I've heard.

Personally I think its fascinating comparing this to the Ron Atkinson racist comment from a few years ago. Especially on the positive side. It didn't take very long for the likes of Carlton Palmer to stick up for Ron, yet Heyhoe-Flint is one of the few women to come out in support of Gray and Keys, (e.g. Cates very likely knows them behind the scenes).

Turns out old Andy is a bit of a serial misogynist. The risk of working in the public eye, I suppose.

I remember that he was wanted as Everton manager a few years ago - and was assistant manager at Villa under Atkinson before landing the Sky job. So he'll get a job in football if need be due to his high-profile. He won't starve... Let's be honest he's been on a good screw for doing fook-all for the last 19 years. Nice work if you can get it and i'm sure ESPN or ITV will be interested. Can't see the BBC being…

Get rid of Keys next and that smarmy tosser Andy Burton...

They'll have to find another Scotsman to growl moronically in response to non-events in the all-important games between Blackburn and Wolves or Bolton and Stoke or whoever. Right-on Pat Nevin might fit the bill.

I can well imagine Keys, Gray and Big Ron playing a ruefull three-ball on some flatteringly manicured Surrey golf course, before exchanging classy racist and sexist bigotry with the local squirearchy at the bar in an after-dinner fart type scenario.

Guest Scratch2000uk

I don't know what all the fuss is about. :shock:

I can't stand the pair of smug tw@s to be honest, hence why i don't subscribe to the sky sports channels. :huh:

People say far worse things in their professions, some Imams and comedians especially. :wink:

Edited by Scratch2000uk

Miss Jackson looked far from impressed, surely that counts as Sexual Harassment and is rather sinister in its overtones. What is even more disapointing is that Keys is laughing along. Surely his position is untenable as well?

Give over, I'd have just called it flirting myself. Cringey yes, but 'sexual harrassment'? That would be him stuffing the thing down her pants fella.

As was touched on by rudemedic, there's a sense of irony given what "Miss Jackson" undoubtedly depends on for her likely cushty lifestyle. Infact I'd bet my bottom dollar she 'patted a back' or two to get the gig.