Scunthorpe bid for Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor's current contract runs out in the summer of 2012. I'm not saying for a second that he would screw us over but if he decides not to sign any new deal he is offered, then his value will only fall as that date approaches. How important is he considered to the team? £250k now, £100k next January or nowt in summer 2012?

Leeds decided that Beckford was important enough to them that they kept him to fire them to promotion, even though they knew that meant they'd get nothing last summer. Does Taylor carry that level of importance to Latics?

Personally, I think his current form should command a fee in excess of a quarter of a million but twelve months ago, we'd have been lucky to get £50k...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Taylor's current contract runs out in the summer of 2012. I'm not saying for a second that he would screw us over but if he decides not to sign any new deal he is offered, then his value will only fall as that date approaches. How important is he considered to the team? £250k now, £100k next January or nowt in summer 2012?

Leeds decided that Beckford was important enough to them that they kept him to fire them to promotion, even though they knew that meant they'd get nothing last summer. Does Taylor carry that level of importance to Latics?

Personally, I think his current form should command a fee in excess of a quarter of a million but twelve months ago, we'd have been lucky to get £50k...

Spot on for me!

even if the board want to cash in now and sell him for 100k less than hes worth, the ultimate decision surely lies with chris. i dont think theres more than 8/9 teams in the championship that could tempt him away from the club he loves, or with the finances to pay a much improved wage.. yes we need the money in the long term but we also need some success in the short term. taylor is not instrumental to us winning games but not having him here wont improve our promotion aspirations , the money will be sealed in a bag, maybe help to pay morais wage next season and the wages of a couple of freebies

This time last season I'd have taken £100k for Taylor. Now, £250k is not good enough. Like people have already said I can't see him leaving to go there for a mulittude of reasons. However, there are a few clubs who look in danger of going down from the Championship who could be interested and are bigger clubs than us, so even if they went down would be a move upwards.

One potential scuppering issue is that I heard we accepted a bid from Leeds last season for him and he failed his medical, which wasn't related to his hip, hamstring, knee, calf etc. Even if we do accept a bid it doesn't mean the transfer is going to happen.

This time last season I'd have taken £100k for Taylor. Now, £250k is not good enough. Like people have already said I can't see him leaving to go there for a mulittude of reasons. However, there are a few clubs who look in danger of going down from the Championship who could be interested and are bigger clubs than us, so even if they went down would be a move upwards.

One potential scuppering issue is that I heard we accepted a bid from Leeds last season for him and he failed his medical, which wasn't related to his hip, hamstring, knee, calf etc. Even if we do accept a bid it doesn't mean the transfer is going to happen.

Scunthorpe aren't though and never will be, despite their two promotions…Palace, PNE, Boro? Of course….

Scunthorpe aren't though and never will be, despite their two promotions…Palace, PNE, Boro? Of course….

Since he played against Forest, Taylor has been our most consistent player. Never quite understood why a couple of oddballs on here don't rate him. He loves latics and must run more miles than anyone else on a football pitch. The thought of selling our best player for a meagre £250K is a depressing thought; I'm sure that he wouldn't want to move there anyway.

+1

i get the feeling if we sell him, we will see what he offers to the team when we're not creating as many chances.

250k is a joke, and i don't see why he would go to scunny who are pretty much an oldham-sized team in the championship.

if they added someone like dagnall to the 250k, then i'd accept, he hasn't scored many since he left dale has he?

Info from a prem club scout is he'd not leave Oldham so people stopped bothering to look at him. This scout claimed he was 24 hours from signing at Sheff Utd at one point but pulled out as he loves the club. Can see us using this to pull in bigger clubs, he won't want to play against us next season in league 1 so he won't be going to those mongs at Scunny.

Go and play for Scunny and be back in League One next season. Mainly because they're crying about having to put seats in if they stay up.

Career move. Not. If we took a bid of 250k, I am sure there'd be further interest a little better than them.

I today heard a rumour in work that the dingles (burnley) are sniffing around him too.

personally i think it would be best for us and taylor to hold on until the end of season. Taylor then knows what league we will playing in and hopefully has chance to help us make the play offs. And from a latics point of view The brown stuff isn't likely to hit the fan until the end of the season as tis seasons budget is 'covered' and his value should unly increase between now and the end of season if he keeps his form up