Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan

razza699

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tide goes in, tide goes out, never a m......... no, wait a minute :unsure:

In all seriousness

I certainly hope the Nuclear thing turns out to be nothing more than media scare mongering. Japan obviously doesn't need it, but neither does the world at large. Detractors of nuclear power would only point to this incident from now until forever as evidence of their lack of safety.

Best wishes to anyone in Japan caught up in all this

The nuclear thing really isn't such a big deal. People have a hang up about it because they think it'll be the next Chernobyl, when things are much better than that in a station that isn't prehistoric.

However, I think the best description of the tsunami is that it is really a 'rolling wall of concrete'. It'd be quick, but that's the best thing you can say about it really.

^^^^^^

Anyone got a spare fallout shelter they don't need?

Feck,

KC

AS scary a nukes gone wrong are, the media are, touch wood, blowing this out of proportion. The systems have actually worked in the face of the worst conceivable effort that Mother Nature could throw at them, and that in an ancient plant. At present it's unlikely that anyone will die from radiation in an event that has claimed many thousands of lives, and a flooded station is not going to melt down. There is some shoddy journalism going on around this story, which doesn't help in the middle of a terrible human crisis.

AS scary a nukes gone wrong are, the media are, touch wood, blowing this out of proportion. The systems have actually worked in the face of the worst conceivable effort that Mother Nature could throw at them, and that in an ancient plant. At present it's unlikely that anyone will die from radiation in an event that has claimed many thousands of lives, and a flooded station is not going to melt down. There is some shoddy journalism going on around this story, which doesn't help in the middle of a terrible human crisis.

24 hour News Channels Andy, they have to fill the time somehow - feckin' hate Sky's tabloid style reporting. And where the hell do they get their 'experts' from? Sensationalist bollocks, not a fan of the BBC but their reporting has been much more sympathetic to the plight of the many people affected,,,,

Yup...

But I think the situation is getting a tad worse now and a some people have already been exposed. I would imagine some of the workers have a fair chance of a rough ride in years to come (I really hope not) and a few have been killed in the explosions.

But like you said its really a triumph of modern science / engineering that a major disaster has so far not happened and it seems the vast majority of people have been evacuated now.

Chernobyl was a total cock up and nothing like this. The Russians waited a day and half after the fire in the reactor before they started evacuating the town.

By the way we have our own little radiation disaster waiting to happen to Europe in the coming years.

The concrete sarcophagus the Russians quickly built around the Chernobyl reactor is slowly falling apart. It was given a 20-30 year life in 1988. Do the maths...

There is a plan for a new one to built around it (its VERY impressive) but funding is still an issue with it. Governments are not very forthcoming with the money.

If the sarcophagus collapses the resulting disaster will make the original disaster look like nothing. Very little media attention surrounding it though. Its like Europe's dirty little secret.

A few thoughts

Yeah, there's scaremongering, of course. Tis the nature of the beast (the beast being people in general)

There will be dead people from this, not least among the 50 poor sods working in the reactors.

"Don't trust the bastards" is the mantra of anyone who has ever studied politics, even more so when it comes to this supposed democracy.

"Don't trust us bastards" should be the company logo of Tepco. This is just the latest in a long string of fekk-ups.

Chernobyl was ranked a 7 on the fekked-up scale, Fukushima a 6 (3-mile island was a 5)

There's been no reports of looting so far. Compare that to Katrina, a similarly devastating disaster. Or imagine the scroats in Oldham would anything similar to occur there.

DON'T donate money willy-nilly to Japan. Keeping 1 person alive here costs the same as keeping a hundred alive in an underdeveloped country. Read below and decide:

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2011/03/14/dont-donate-money-to-japan/

One Very Good Thing this disaster might bring is a sea change in the way we look at energy - I can see a wind, wave and solar boom triggered by this (though the last one might not work to well in Ingerland ;) )

On a personal note, we're 900 km from the :censored: as the crow flies (or should that be "as the wind blows?"). As safe as ... err... houses... safe stuff. At least for now. And if it really goes tits up, I'll be able to treat my family to Latics' imploding season-end! Woohoo! A win-win situation!

Cheers all, stay safe.

KC

Edited by kirinclassic

On a personal note, we're 900 km from the :censored: as the crow flies (or should that be "as the wind blows?"). As safe as ... err... houses... safe stuff. At least for now. And if it really goes tits up, I'll be able to treat my family to Latics' imploding season-end! Woohoo! A win-win situation!

EDIT: Just realised you are in Japan!!

900 miles should keep you safe. Hope all turns out well for you and the rest of the country.

Keep Safe!

Edited by oafc0000

1.) Chernobyl was instigated by a lot more human error than anything else. This one is basically all mother nature.

2.) If it was going to be as bad as Chernobyl it would have gone boom a lot worse by now. Comparing this to Chernobyl is like comparing light drizzle to a monsoon (I'd like to see the science behind this "fekked-up scale")

3.) Probably the best place in the world for this to happen was Japan (maybe France as well) I wonder how safe our country will be if the Tsunami precited as a consequence of some bit of the Canaries going into the sea thanks to an Earthquake. Clue- a big proportion of our Nuclear power stations are on the Servern Coast- home to the second largest natural tides in the world and they are already showing signs of running out of life expectancy.

4.) I'd agree with the sentiments by KC- the average amount/victim for Hurricane Katrina was somewhere around $100k, the average amount/victim for the Boxing Day Tsunami was somewhere around $1000. If you are only going to donate to one big charity appeal this month- I'd donate to Comic Relief. As far as I can recall this is the first massive disaster where the local government has pledged money to prop up the local economy before any serious offers of overseas financial aid have come in.

Don't get me wrong my thoughts go out to all those affected but think a lot of this has been drummed up by science correspondents who don't have much scientific educational background (lots of Geography and English). There are medical diagnostic (not treatment) procedures which expose patients to higher levels of radiation than the radiation from the nuclear plant (obviously medical procedures are quick blasts and not the sort of chronicity of the nuclear plant problems). If they get Brian Cox on and he is anything like as negative as some of the reports then I might believe them but otherwise nah.

2.) If it was going to be as bad as Chernobyl it would have gone boom a lot worse by now. Comparing this to Chernobyl is like comparing light drizzle to a monsoon (I'd like to see the science behind this "fekked-up scale")

Wrong... The potential for a radiation release similar to Chernobyl is still very real, even if the reasons might be some what different. The likelihood though is still low.

The scale was introduced in 1990 by the International Atomic Energy Agency. Its a communication tool and not a scientific tool. You want to look at mSv levels for scientific tools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Nuclear_Event_Scale#Level_6:_Serious_accident

Edited by oafc0000

why have you removed that graph ?

I just had to check something on it to make sure it was true.

Here it is... It puts in to context the current extent of the disaster in Japan.

208xy8j.jpg

Some people suggest the exposure in Pripyat was more around 450 on average. The difference is that people where evacuated much quicker in Japan and the situation did not develop as quickly. Spare a thought for the workers still there.

At Chernobyl, The fire fighters received does around 4,000 to 6,000 and the liquidators between 1,000 to 6,000.

Edited by oafc0000