And a third front opens...

Crusoe

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful...I wonder how many kids we will snuff out this time... All in the name of the British Interest...

We sell the nutter arms, we took their money, traded... oh and sent back a terrorist...

What a utter mess.. We have no moral authority to do :censored: around the world these days...

Edited by oafc0000

It might be a bit more than a no fly zone, as the first paragraph of your linky indicates:

The UN Security Council has backed a no-fly zone over Libya and "all necessary measures" short of an invasion "to protect civilians and civilian-populated areas".

Given that Ghaddifi's lads are going to be advancing towards civilian areas, I think this is a Charter to slaughter them. Personally, I hope the rebels win, but in the knowledge that I don't know whether that will result in better or worse conditions for people wherever down the line. There is no magic wand in international affairs any more than there is in the welfare state, policing, education etc. I don't want to spend more British lives or money on yet another speculative gamble on the outcome of military intervention.

We sold him arms, THEREFORE we should go in, not despite it!!

As a civilised, developed country, we have a duty to go in and do what the people there can't do for themselves.

Like in Iraq ?

Why don't we go in and deal with the other countries who are torturing their people who we dealt arms to ?

As a civilised, developed country, we have a duty to go in and do what the people there can't do for themselves.

The White Man's Burden? We did right to start giving that up over a century ago.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA!!!

Your naivety is touching, I'll give you that.

To be brutally honest I'm surprised the UK and US are interested in this - Gadaffi's nearly won, we'd back to the cosy status quo within a few weeks with renewed oil deals et al.

oh and sent back a terrorist...

If he had anything to do with the bombing of Pan-Am flight 103 then I'm a monkey's uncle.

I hear he is due to star in the Libyan stage production of "Absolutely Fabulous", he will be playing the character made famous by Joanna Lumley as he has vast experience of playing the part of Patsy.

If he had anything to do with the bombing of Pan-Am flight 103 then I'm a monkey's uncle.

I hear he is due to star in the Libyan stage production of "Absolutely Fabulous", he will be playing the character made famous by Joanna Lumley as he has vast experience of playing the part of Patsy.

Wouldn't be surprised...

The Daily Mash has an update on the latest situation

Fingers crossed Libyan rebels aren't insane

18-03-11

THE United Nations last night had its fingers crossed that the Libyan rebels it has just backed are not stark, raving lunatics.

He's probably really niceAfter sanctioning military action against Colonel Gaddafi, British and US sources admitted they should probably have checked to make sure the anti-Gaddafi forces were in possession of at least a modicum of sanity.

A senior Foreign Office official said: "Everyone was speaking very quickly and we forgot to ask about their general mental health, what sort of things they believe in and whether they simply want to take over Libya so that they can fulfil their spiritual destiny of killing everyone in Europe with a sword.

"It'll be fine. I can see no reason why it should turn out to be like absolutely everything else."

A US state department source added: "It's fair to say that our general dicking about in Muslim countries hasn't always worked.

"We got rid of Saddam not realising that, as well as being a prick, he was also keeping the lid on a big basket full of :censored:nuts.

"And while Colonel Gaddafi is one of the great psychopaths of our time, he's still not as mad as Mullah Omar, who if you remember got his start in the insanity business through the US-backed mujahideen.

"Nevertheless I'm sure one of my colleagues has already mapped out a post invasion strategy for Libya that won't turn out to be a complete and utter piece of :censored:."

Roy Hobbs, professor of doing the same thing over and over again at Reading University, said: "I have devised a simple multiple choice questionnaire which could be dropped on Benghazi this afternoon.

"If you come across an American in the desert would you:

a) Give him water, food and shelter as if he was one of your own;

B) Give him water but then pass by;

c) Cut off his head and pee on it?"

Meanwhile the UN resolution was opposed by German chancellor Angela Merkel who insisted 'political pressure' would topple Colonel Gaddafi in just the same way it was used to remove one of her troublesome predecessors.

As a civilised developed country which got to where we are by questionable means in the past i.e. the British Empire, perhaps we shouldn't go in for a change.

I'd rather we stayed out wars and disputes in foreign lands.

But what do you ? Sit back and let him carry on murdering and maiming innocent civillians who just want democracy.?I know we have sold him arms, but we didn't exactly sell them to him for him to use on innocent civillians.

It's good that the Arab League called for this no-fly zone first and I hope they take the lead, but no doubt it will be us, despite what the French say.

Just from the point of view of saving the people of Benghazi from indiscriminate slaughter, I can't wait for the bombs to start falling, hopefully on Gadaffi's head.

That is the problem with bombs.. Even the "smart" ones...

I know your wider point though... The greater good over are own selfish reasons for action...

Edited by oafc0000

I have absolute faith in Dave & Nick to make sure that this is all done properly.

There is an interesting domestic political dimension to this.

If we end up embroiled in another war (i.e. more than just using a few jets to enforce a no-fly zone) that brings more bloodshed and another uncertain ending then I predict we will see the end of either the coalition or the Lib Dem party.

Just from the point of view of saving the people of Benghazi from indiscriminate slaughter, I can't wait for the bombs to start falling, hopefully on Gadaffi's head.

Reminds me of a Not The Nine O'Clock New Report.

"Somebody has tried to assassinate Col Gadaffi, firing bullets in to his head and missing his brain by 6 feet"

There is an interesting domestic political dimension to this.

If we end up embroiled in another war (i.e. more than just using a few jets to enforce a no-fly zone) that brings more bloodshed and another uncertain ending then I predict we will see the end of either the coalition or the Lib Dem party.

Indeed! This government malarkey isn't easy, especially when you throw in foreign affairs.

It seems they are sending Tornados, so it is ground attack as well as no-fly. It's all a bit late if you were going to do that, they could have blown the :censored: out of them when they were driving across the desert but it's a bit more tricky when they are on the edge of town.

It seems they are sending Tornados, so it is ground attack as well as no-fly. It's all a bit late if you were going to do that, they could have blown the :censored: out of them when they were driving across the desert but it's a bit more tricky when they are on the edge of town.

Shame the Ark Royal and them Harrier jets were incautiously junked really. I blame peacenik Clegg.