And a third front opens...

Crusoe

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an interesting domestic political dimension to this.

If we end up embroiled in another war (i.e. more than just using a few jets to enforce a no-fly zone) that brings more bloodshed and another uncertain ending then I predict we will see the end of either the coalition or the Lib Dem party.

Thatcher went to war when her poll rating was very low, and found there's nothing like winning a war to galvanise support for the government.

Thatcher went to war when her poll rating was very low, and found there's nothing like winning a war to galvanise support for the government.

The two situations are not really comparable though.

I agree with the theory though.

The two situations are not really comparable though.

I agree with the theory though.

I think Cameron is rubbing his hands together over this... For me, this is a quick win for him... I don't see this being another Iraq and even if it is, there is UN backing so the burden is more greatly shared...

In Joe idiot public's eye he has been strong and has lead the UN... and if it all goes to :censored: it will be the Libs who get it in the neck anyway considering the games the played over Iraq...

Edited by oafc0000

Gaddafi is a clever guy... All this rubbish in the British press that he is losing the plot is crap. Calling a cease fire and asking the Chinese to monitor it is a clever move.

Blows the legality of an attack right out of the water unless they can prove he has broke it.

Don't get me wrong... I think Gaddafi is a first class c*nt... but he is a cleaver one...

Edited by oafc0000

Just from the point of view of saving the people of Benghazi from indiscriminate slaughter, I can't wait for the bombs to start falling, hopefully on Gadaffi's head.

would that be dave and nick whove just scrapped all the harriers and the ark royal ? Would be pretty usefull right now wouldnt they .?

would that be dave and nick whove just scrapped all the harriers and the ark royal ? Would be pretty usefull right now wouldnt they .?

Too right...

The range between Benghazi and Cyprus (our closest base) is about 1000 miles... That's going to involve a serious amount of air to air refuling to fly effective missions.

Edited by oafc0000

Gaddafi is a clever guy... All this rubbish in the British press that he is losing the plot is crap. Calling a cease fire and asking the Chinese to monitor it is a clever move.

Blows the legality of an attack right out of the water unless they can prove he has broke it.

Don't get me wrong... I think Gaddafi is a first class c*nt... but he is a cleaver one...

No mate. He's a :censored:ing brutal mad-man. Have you not listened to any of his recent ramblings ?

He's called a ceasefire because he's got no other option. It's nothing to do with being clever.

Too right...

The range between Benghazi and Cyprus (our closest base) is about 1000 miles... That's going to involve a serious amount of air to air refuling to fly effective missions.

Italy have offered 3 bases for British & French planes to fly out of.

Easy to say after the event, but it was clearly just an attempt to buy time and make the UN dither a bit while his chaps wandered a bit closer to their objectives.

Nowt to do with "legality of attack".

Yup. Very useful. You might even say that an operator such as Gadaffi would feel that little bit more emboldened to use troops against civilians in the first place in the light of the Tory SDSR. Not the only consideration in his mind, but a consideration none the less. Clegg's fault.

I'm no fan of the government, but I can't imagine Britain losing a small carrier (with one squadron of aircraft known to lack decent hot-weather performance) made the slightest impact on Gadaffi's decision-making.

Many, many reasons to blame Cameron and Clegg, but that seems a tiny bit tenuous.

Well so the rebellion kicks off and Gadaffi is thinking, "Who's going to stop me using the army?" and the good old UK is not on the list because we've just reduced our capabilities.

And last week we're sending the SAS in with bull:censored: terms of engagement and getting them arrested, which also strengthened Gadaffi's hand. Good on Dave! If we still had Ark Royal, it would've been in the Med way before Gadaffi got nasty.

It's not entirely their fault, but they're still shocking.

I'm saying Gadaffi would've been less tempted to get nasty. By how much is debatable.

But you are saying that we either get involved in an illegal war, or we make a half arsed attempt at bullying him into giving in, which will ultimately fail as he has no other option than to fight (and you have already said you are agaqinst half arsed attempts {see Hagues contact squad}).

We've already messed up entering one illegal war which will cost us hundreds if not thousands of lives over the future years - I'll be damned if I'm in favour of entering another one. Being honest, I'm not exactly in favour of entering this one at all. Nothing good for us will come from it. I'd be surprised if the opposite didn't happen.

The hang up on legality pisses me off greatly...

I want our armed forces to do two things. Defend our territory and citizens and stop the mass murder of people all across the world as much as we possibly can (and not use it as a front for controlling oil)

Legality of military action has to be the most fecked up concept going. We have been involved in illegal actions that have been highly praised and have saved many lives. Sierra Leone being a fantastic example. Would you have not intervened in Sierra Leone and let the massacres happen ? Was it wrong to do it just because it was illegal on a technicality.

The legal situation can't represent what is right and proper which comes down to your morals.

Iraq was a stupid move but its time to put it to bed.

Edited by oafc0000

Whoever ends up in charge will sell the oil at the best price they can get on the international market. They can't sell it to the camels to spite us. As for the Tom Jones impersonator feeling harder because the mighty Ark Royal wasnt there.... HAHAHAHAHA