latic v brighton

Despite the disappointment of losing, the performance was a big improvement on previous home games.

Bad mistake for the goal - players should know to play to the whistle rather than assume an offside decsion will be made. Brighton had one chance and they took it - we had a couple but don't have the natural goalscoring ability to convert the chances into goals and results.

I still don't think we're in danger of being sucked into the relegation fight but the longer we go without scoring, the more desperate our position could be.

Despite the disappointment of losing, the performance was a big improvement on previous home games.

Bad mistake for the goal - players should know to play to the whistle rather than assume an offside decsion will be made. Brighton had one chance and they took it - we had a couple but don't have the natural goalscoring ability to convert the chances into goals and results.

I still don't think we're in danger of being sucked into the relegation fight but the longer we go without scoring, the more desperate our position could be.

Brighton one chance?? They hit the bar in the 1st half and also at least two other chances just wide of the goal, we huffed and puffed and cannot fault the effort but they always looked likelier to score and we are toothless. Relegation dogfight and they game against Tranmere could now be really important.

I am mighty proud off that performance today.

I did think we would be the end of a thrashing and it did not happen

What's going on with Ruebes I don't know, defo his error, but he was bent over knackered when the whilst blew with Brill coming over to see if he was okay.

What a prospect Tarwoskiwhatchaamacallit....is.

Deserved a draw but again, it showed the last piece we are missing...a goal poacher.....M'vot perhaps?

Top of the league?....well they are aren't they but nowt special

What's going on with Ruebes I don't know, defo his error, but he was bent over knackered when the whilst blew with Brill coming over to see if he was okay.

Deserved a draw but again, it showed the last piece we are missing...a goal poacher.....M'vot perhaps?

Tarky looks good but his lack of pace almost cost us twice, if he had a few more yards then he would be a prospect.

Dickov says their goal was offside and we should have had two penalties. I don't recall any convincing penalty claim.

As for the goal, I don't think the scorer was offside, so the only argument is over Rube's guy and interfering with play.

Anybody else have a view?

heard the teams read out and i thought they'd maul us. but we put in the effort and played well enough to probably get a point. tarkowski had a great game and could be an important player for us in the future. also throught brooke did alright, not going to be the goalscorer we need, which turns out isnt at the club, but he won a few freekicks and got the odd chance.

brighton let us play though, which is why we looked good at times, and they soaked up the pressure and played for a 1-0. thought poyet got it right today, and even though they werent as good attacking as poeterborough and southampton, you can see why theyre top.

i said before the match if we were going to lose, it had to be because they were good at what they did and we gave it a go, so the performance was encouraging, but we gifted the cheating barnes a goal, which cost us.

Dickov says their goal was offside and we should have had two penalties. I don't recall any convincing penalty claim.

As for the goal, I don't think the scorer was offside, so the only argument is over Rube's guy and interfering with play.

Anybody else have a view?

Where was you sat?

The goal to me was off side and I also seen Big Jon pushed over in the box. I didn't see the others but the people around me did.

Their goal - My view from main was Murray offside, so Tarky and Rubes slowed down (if possible to go any slower!!!!) but Barnes (looked onside?) ran past them both and scored.. What was the view from RRE of the actual goal - our keepers always seem to concede goals going into that far corner!!!

Great finish. Brill had no chance.

Edit: just seen it on the Football League Show - Tarlowski let his man go, who was onside, and despite the angle hit a powerful shot in to the corner.

I don't think Brill was badly positioned and it would have been one hell of a save if he'd kept it out.

1.) Barnes wasn't offside, but Murray was and IMHO was intervering with play as our defenders stopped and it was kicked close enough to him, still think we should have defended it better though.

2.) Thought we played well, did a lot of good defending from the front and Dickov got his tactics spot on until the substitutions- they wanted to play out from too deep and we put pressure on high up and Kishishev was taken off as despite being their playmaker couldn't get a kick as he either had Furman or Stephens all over him.

3.)I'd have loved it if we had scored in injury time and I'd have sent Poyet off- that was a disgraceful bit of cheating and he might have done Barnes more harm by putting him back on. The fact the physio then ignored the ref when he said to get him off the pitch wasn't good but I don't think the ref could have done owt about it and once they had put Barnes back on the ref could have done more harm by making him go off for treatment.

4.) Brighton were poor- they were far too slow tempo wise, were too keen to play it out from the back and will get murdered in the Championship if they insist on playing like that.

5.) Was very impressed with Tarky, he put the league's top scorer in his pocket for 89 and a half minutes.

6.) Mvoto is built like a brick outhouse yet didn't get a penalty when their centre-half, who struggled to cope with big John and Bubba and had to resort to fouling them, shoved him over in the box.

7.) I'd keep the same front two for Tuesday- they linked up well, Reid looks a lot better than the other times I've seen him (I wasn't at Hartlepool), and Bubba looked more threatening coming on.

We deserved a point yesterday, a much improved performance than I've seen from us recently.

First half we easily had the best of it in terms of possession, without creating to many scoring chances.

Second half was far more even as Brighton must have got a rocket from Poyet at half time, they were much better second half.

We would have got a point as well without more diabolical defending.

I thought Tarkowski did well and made a great goal saving header at the far post in the first half, appears to read the game well and is comfortabe on the ball, the only thing that bothered me about him was a frightening lack of pace for an 18 year old, he was very easily outpaced by Murray on at least 2 occasions in the second half and I wasn't of the opinion that Murray was a speed merchant, he still had a good game and could make a good player.

You don't always get what you deserve in football and we certainly didn't yesterday.

Now I've calmed down after yesterdays game; I think I can evalute our performance and the game itself without the anger I had for the rest of the evening yesterday!

I thought we played as well as we have done all season in the 1st half. Morais and Lee were excellent down our right; and caused so many problems. Morais was my MOM for the 1st 45mins.

We got back to the high tempo hassling and harrassing; the pressure on the ball was excellent and the high press we deployed meant Brighton had no time to settle or get any rhythem. We made them look pretty ordinary. But; we didn't get the goal our play & our dominance deserved and at HT I feared the suckapunch coming.

Whilst they came back into the game 2nd half; helped by the 2 changes they made; again I thought we were the better team.

The goal for me exposes all that is wrong with the offside rule. How Murray wasn't 'active' and therefore offside I will never know - but you have to play to the whistle.

The Linesman and ref were the usual level we get - piss poor - the Kieron Lee cross was handball and was in the area so a pen; and the push on bih Jean was indeed that; a push - in the area and so was also a pen. When your lucks out; decisions like the goal and the 2 pens just don't go for you......

I've no issue with M'Voto coming on ahead of Feeney as WF just isn't good enough and wouldn't have caused a threat at all. At least M'Voto won some headers and gave Greer & El Ab some problems...

Massively unlucky to come away without a point or even 3 - if we get that level of performance Vs Colchester and Tranmere; we'll break our duck and get some much needed points on the board.

Final word goes to young James Tarkowski - cracking performance and a real prospect. If he had another yard of pace on the turn I'd stick my neck out and say he's destined for bigger things. The pace issue might just limit him, but he defended incredably well and looked very assured on the ball for one so young. Just behing Furman & Morais in the MOM stakes for me- top stuff 'Tarks'!!

Played well another massive clanger from rubes cost us the points and how the feck did we miss that chance at the end ????

The Kieron Lee one? The linesman had his flag up anyway, I think.

The pattern in all our games recently is far too predictable. Start well, run out of steam, other team score, game over. Admittedly we had more shots on goal yesterday than usual, but the outcome of the match was still the same.

Starting to think we might have a bit of a fitness issue. Other teams know that we'll start like a house on fire, but also know that the longer the game goes on, the less likely we are to score. Poyet obviously told his team to just get to half-time without conceeding, and then the game is pretty much won, which is why their 'keeper wasting time in the first-half. It was the same at Orient and Bournemouth - we tired ourselves out with all the pretty passing, and the opposition were happy to let us do it, because they know we're never going to get anywhere with it. Then comes the sucker punch and we have nothing in the locker to get us back into the game.

I'd like to see a change of tactics (as well as the return of Alice). Perhaps bide our time on occasions, rather than going in all guns blazing from the off. We just need to be a bit clever.

Edited by JoeP

"Interfering with play" means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate

"Interfering with an opponent" means preventing an opponent

from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent's line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent

"Gaining an advantage by being in that position" means playing a ball that rebounds to him off a goalpost or the crossbar having been in an offside position or playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position

None of the above, unfortunately, good call by the lino!

Very unlucky, best performance I've seen for several weeks, we just have nothing going for us up front! We can't seem to get a happy middle - we either try to walk it in, or just take pot shots from outside the area. If we had a natural header of the ball, we'd be sorted, IMO!