Make bones about it, we're in a dog-fight

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about this Smalley argument and a difficult subject to resolve. On his day with confidence high, he can be very good but he also appears to be very fragile mentally and as we all know, we have a significant, vociferous section of the crowd who will verbally "kick him in the nuts" if his first pass is misplaced, played backwards or he is easily tackled.

As for Morais, yes he can be very frustrating but he can also bring a big cheer with a piece of skill and I would certainly keep him in the team as I feel that things can happen. It's White that frustrates me most at the moment as he doesn't get past people and doesn't appear to have a cross in him preferring to let Black do it. Bring Jones back and we will have a more solid feel.

The plain fact is a goal poacher has been the major necessity - even from pre-season, no matter what combinations PD tries I cannot see many goals in this squad. :(

3 goals in 10 proves that. Even when we play well like yesterday our attacking short-comings cost us the game like it has so many times this season. He's done well mostly this season has Dickov, but we're now a team unable to fashion clear goalscoring chances - only able to shoot from distance. We played some great football up to the 18 yard line yesterday, but instead of the killer pass we shoot wildly or try and walk the ball into the net. Not an easy habit to get out of. We've 9 games to get out of this mess, i'm not convinced the squad has the desire to score the goals or the will to fight its way out of trouble. It may sound doom and gloom but there's not been a lot wrong with the last two home performances but they've yielded no points. We've lost 4 home games on the run, 5 games on the trot overall and lost 7 out of the last 10 and been nilled in eight of those. We're pretty much at full strength in the squad Taylor aside and the switching the team around has had little or no effect. Good football is only good football when it creates goals and wins points. The object of the game is not tippy-tappy bollocks its putting the ball in the net and if we assess how we've scored our goals this season we may see where the problem lies:-

So, 46 League Goals in 37 games and we've failed to score in 12 games. How have we scored those goals?

0 Goals from Corners

10 from Headers

20 from 18 Yards +

13 Close Range Finishes (Inside the 18 yard box)

3 Penalties

From that it is clear that we simply do not score enough goals inside the area, we're pretty good at the spectacular but not brave enough to get stuck in there, if we don't sign a goalscorer (and i'm convinced we won't as we're potless), we're really in the brown stuff.

Dale Stephens (MIdfielder) 9 goals (3 pens)

Chris Taylor Forward 8 Goals

Tonk (Forward) 7 Goals

Furman (Midfielder) 5 Goals

White (Winger) 4 goals

Morais Forward 4 goals

Evina (LB/LW) 2 Goals

Lee (RB) 2 Goals

M'Voto (CB) 2 Goals

Jones (RM) 1 Goal

Lewi (LM) 1 goal

Kelly (Forward) 1 goal

Not sure about this Smalley argument and a difficult subject to resolve. On his day with confidence high, he can be very good but he also appears to be very fragile mentally and as we all know, we have a significant, vociferous section of the crowd who will verbally "kick him in the nuts" if his first pass is misplaced, played backwards or he is easily tackled.

As for Morais, yes he can be very frustrating but he can also bring a big cheer with a piece of skill and I would certainly keep him in the team as I feel that things can happen. It's White that frustrates me most at the moment as he doesn't get past people and doesn't appear to have a cross in him preferring to let Black do it. Bring Jones back and we will have a more solid feel.

I'd like to see Morais back to making the match-winning impact from the bench like he did v Plymouth and Brentford. I think he's a liability away from home and despite being primarily a winger constantly tries to do much on his own in the middle. I'm convinced accommodating Morais in his free role is killing all discipline and shape within the team, leading us to be caught out time and time again. In fact Morais losing the ball in the middle yesterday, directly led to their goal. Unfortunately, someone like Morais imo will not keep us in this division - the guy's exciting to watch (at times) but despite some good work yesterday he wasted countless good position not least when a cross was on and he simply rolled it across to Ankegren. I'm not witch-hunting Morais, he's contributed to a mostly good season, but I do think he is part of the problem at the moment. Can you honestly say this guy is enough of team-player to dig in and help keep us up?

I'd like to see Morais back to making the match-winning impact from the bench

He's good at that and the bench is where he belongs. Concedes possession far too easily, tires too quickly, is poor at tracking back and if I was a full back playing behind him I'd throttle him. He has attacking qualities but that's not enough in the modern game.

I'd like to see Morais back to making the match-winning impact from the bench like he did v Plymouth and Brentford. I think he's a liability away from home and despite being primarily a winger constantly tries to do much on his own in the middle. I'm convinced accommodating Morais in his free role is killing all discipline and shape within the team, leading us to be caught out time and time again. In fact Morais losing the ball in the middle yesterday, directly led to their goal. Unfortunately, someone like Morais imo will not keep us in this division - the guy's exciting to watch (at times) but despite some good work yesterday he wasted countless good position not least when a cross was on and he simply rolled it across to Ankegren. I'm not witch-hunting Morais, he's contributed to a mostly good season, but I do think he is part of the problem at the moment. Can you honestly say this guy is enough of team-player to dig in and help keep us up?

You put up a good argument, but I would prefer to see White dropped first and replaced with Jones who has a good understanding with Lee and would also stiffen up the midfield. As was said before, White was anonymous in both attack and defence. And unlike White, Morais always goes looking for the ball even if he doesn't always use it productively.

agree with this he is a decent player but imo morais plays for morais not oldham

i said yesterday that he's a great player to watch and if he was in a more attacking team he'd be an even better player. can't see him being here after the end of the season but if dickov stays, i think he'd fit into any team we have next season.

he definitely isn't the team-wrecking player prozac is talking about but we are relying on him for creativeness and when teams come out in the second half and double up on him, he doesnt make an impact so bringing him on as a sub might be a better idea

You put up a good argument, but I would prefer to see White dropped first and replaced with Jones who has a good understanding with Lee and would also stiffen up the midfield. As was said before, White was anonymous in both attack and defence. And unlike White, Morais always goes looking for the ball even if he doesn't always use it productively.

I think dropping White (and hopefully shipping him back to Leeds) is a no-brainer Mike, the lad seems to have lost all confidence, we've two decent full-backs but the lads in front of them are letting them down every week imo

3 goals in 10 proves that. Even when we play well like yesterday our attacking short-comings cost us the game like it has so many times this season. He's done well mostly this season has Dickov, but we're now a team unable to fashion clear goalscoring chances - only able to shoot from distance. We played some great football up to the 18 yard line yesterday, but instead of the killer pass we shoot wildly or try and walk the ball into the net. Not an easy habit to get out of. We've 9 games to get out of this mess, i'm not convinced the squad has the desire to score the goals or the will to fight its way out of trouble. It may sound doom and gloom but there's not been a lot wrong with the last two home performances but they've yielded no points. We've lost 4 home games on the run, 5 games on the trot overall and lost 7 out of the last 10 and been nilled in eight of those. We're pretty much at full strength in the squad Taylor aside and the switching the team around has had little or no effect. Good football is only good football when it creates goals and wins points. The object of the game is not tippy-tappy bollocks its putting the ball in the net and if we assess how we've scored our goals this season we may see where the problem lies:-

So, 46 League Goals in 37 games and we've failed to score in 12 games. How have we scored those goals?

0 Goals from Corners

10 from Headers

20 from 18 Yards +

13 Close Range Finishes (Inside the 18 yard box)

3 Penalties

From that it is clear that we simply do not score enough goals inside the area, we're pretty good at the spectacular but not brave enough to get stuck in there, if we don't sign a goalscorer (and i'm convinced we won't as we're potless), we're really in the brown stuff.

Dale Stephens (MIdfielder) 9 goals (3 pens)

Chris Taylor Forward 8 Goals

Tonk (Forward) 7 Goals

Furman (Midfielder) 5 Goals

White (Winger) 4 goals

Morais Forward 4 goals

Evina (LB/LW) 2 Goals

Lee (RB) 2 Goals

M'Voto (CB) 2 Goals

Jones (RM) 1 Goal

Lewi (LM) 1 goal

Kelly (Forward) 1 goal

Analysis of successful scoring situations in football matches shows most goals were scored from between the goal area and the penalty line (62%), this is in stark contrast to prozacs findings for Latics (28%).

The problem is Latics don't have enough men inside the penalty area to make it count, they prefer to to tip tap the ball about outside the area until the moves break down.

Until that changes goalscoring will remain a problem.

Edited by BP1960

I don't know how Morais is being seen as the problem here and yet Brooke and Reid seem to be getting away with criticism neither looked like scoring at all yesterday, did either actually have a shot? Morais was the only one actually creating anything at times he can be too ambitious particularly with his shooting but first half everything was going through him that says something.

The big difference yesterday is that Brighton had a player who came on off the bench and turned a half chance into a clinical finish. That is why they are going up we need to find that ruthless streak.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I don't know how Morais is being seen as the problem here and yet Brooke and Reid seem to be getting away with criticism neither looked like scoring at all yesterday, did either actually have a shot? Morais was the only one actually creating anything at times he can be too ambitious particularly with his shooting but first half everything was going through him that says something.

The big difference yesterday is that Brighton had a player who came on off the bench and turned a half chance into a clinical finnish. That is why they are going up we need to find that ruthless streak.

+1, agree with all of that

maybe that player is morais, to come off the bench and turn a draw into a win against tired defenders?

+1, agree with all of that

maybe that player is morais, to come off the bench and turn a draw into a win against tired defenders?

Possibly he is and maybe away from home he maybe more suited to starting on the bench.

If you look at the current top 4 then they are all slightly different in the way they play

Brighton - Tactically astute, workman like won't give too much away at the back and will look to invite teams on and pick them off by hitting them on the break. Dare I say it the way Dave Penney would have wanted us to play.

Huddersfield - Probably the one team who dissapointed me slightly were much more defensive minded than last season yet won't give too much away either strong physically

Peterborough - probably play the most pleasing on the eye football expansive game the way John Sheridan would have wanted us to play

Southampton - Big strong dynamic.

All different but each one of them has a ruthless streak of scoring goals when chances come which turns draws into wins and even defeats into wins.

Tarkowski - Won't be here long, one iffy moment but recovered well, won headers and brought it out of defence superbly - 9 (MOM)

Won't be here long? Jesus, he's had two good games! Even Stuart Thom had the occasional good game.

And it was his man that scored the goal. He switched off. Dunno why Reuben has got the brunt of the, again, over-reaction.

Won't be here long? Jesus, he's had two good games! Even Stuart Thom had the occasional good game.

And it was his man that scored the goal. He switched off. Dunno why Reuben has got the brunt of the, again, over-reaction.

Rueben had more than enough time to clear the ball, as the elder statesman of the side he should have anticipated and reacted. Yet again, he hesitated giving Barnes the split-second he needed. As for Tarkowski, he's still not been offered a pro-deal. Strong in both boxes and can play football. A rare commodity and a rough diamond. Whether he's played two games or not I can spot potential. Fitz Hall made his debut at Hudds, I said he's play in the Prem, First time I saw Eaves as a 16 year old, I said he won't be here long, he wasn't. As for Hall 16 months later he was playing for Southampton in the Prem. Tarky if he keeps his head screwed on will make it…

But their goal came from Morais coming inside and losing it, leaving us exposed to a long ball down the middle...

Edited by oafcprozac

The big difference yesterday is that Brighton had a player who came on off the bench and turned a half chance into a clinical finish. That is why they are going up we need to find that ruthless streak.

Strikers need service, they got Pish again. Morais looks good with his fancy tricks etc… but how many crosses did he put on a plate for his strikers? How many times does he cut inside and lose it or shoot (usually blocked) Him (Morais) trying to win the game on his own is doing us no favours. The problem is that the strikers don't expect service so don't gamble. It's a vicious circle, especially when for most of the season the trick has been to play through the middle - either long ball to Tonk or let him try and bulldoze his way down the channels….we're now struggling because we've tried to play to one guy's strengths (Tonk)instead of encouraging him to get into the middle and to get on the end of crosses.

Edited by oafcprozac

Strikers need service, they got Pish again. Morais looks good with his fancy tricks etc… but how many crosses did he put on a plate for his strikers? How many times does he cut inside and lose it or shoot (usually blocked) Him (Morais) trying to win the game on his own is doing us no favours. The problem is that the strikers don't expect service so don't gamble. It's a vicious circle, especially when for most of the season the trick has been to play through the middle - either long ball to Tonk or let him try and bulldoze his way down the channels….we're now struggling because we've tried to play to one guy's strengths (Tonk)instead of encouraging him to get into the middle and to get on the end of crosses.

Jeebuz - when you get a bee in your bonnet about a player you really dont let up do you??

I happen to completley disagree with you on your Morais witch-hunt; and so i'm going to flip around all you have said above ad try to show you the positives in Filipe Moraiss game.

He does look good with his flicks & tricks doesnt he? he's entertaining; and he has that 'bit of something' that can create something out of nothing, a very rare commodity at our level; and one that should be embraced and nurtured; not chastised and bemoaned.

The link up play with Lee down the right was exceptional at times in the 1st half; with Morais producing the much vaunted 'end prouct' on several occassions - the dinked / chipped ball over the top of Paynter to get Lee in behind was a moment of real quality, and 2 or 3 times we was able to drive at the LB and force the defence onto the back foot; driving the ball in to the box.

Cutting inside or going past the man on the outside? well, as a winger arent you told to mix it up so the FB has to guess / cant read your intensions every time? Morais can go either way; as he is comfortable with either foot, and he does mix it up. Yes he cuts inside; but he also goes on the outside; or slots in KL when on the overlap.

Chastising a player for shooting? well strike me down - we're shot shy enough as it is; if Morais didnt shoot then we really would be looking at not worrying theOpta stats boys. If he doesnt take the shoot on; how the frig is he ever going to score?

Looking to win the game on his own? Morais is really the only player we have who actually shows for the ball; wants it and looks to drive us forward. His 1st thought on the ball is to go forward at tempo; to try to make something happen for the team. Watch our throw-in's. Watch the statue-esq movement from the rest and then watch Morais; he's te only one wanting to show for it and create something.

As much as you seem to want to hound him out of the team, I happen to think he should be a fixture in it.....

I think you need to read again my points on Morais. I'm not disputing the positives he has brought to the team but like the rest of the team it simply isn't coming off for him. He's shouldering the entire creative outlet role and is trying to force the issue, trying to win games on his own. I would like to see him either as an out and out winger or on the bench, coming on to lift the team and the crowd as has worked so well earlier in the season. We need to be more disciplined to get out of this mess. With Lewi and Jones in the team we lost 3 games. With more attacking outlets in Morais and White/Evina we have lost 9 since the turn of the year. The Morais dilemma reminds me of the issues we had with Betsy, like Morais a potential match-winner but not willing to do the donkey work (one game at home to Hull apart (Betsy)

I'm not disputing that on his day Morais is a talent and a potential match-winner but we are now in a relegation battle and we need more discipline, not someone roving over the field and leaving us exposed. If Morais can show that discipline then great, if not then we need someone to come into the team that will. Not a witch-hunt…it's not simply Morais either, White is a big issue too and since Southampton at home I have championed the return of Jones and Lewi. Dickov briefly restored them to the starting line-up and we won both games, with Morais on the bench. (Who came on to score the all important second v Brentford). As for having a go at the lad for shooting? Time and again others are better placed but he hits a weak effort wide, another potential reason why strikers don't gamble and get in there. We weren't free-scoring with Lewi and Jones in the team, but we played a high-tempo game built on pressurising and harrying, often Morais and White are slowing the tempo down. White in constantly turning back, Morais by moving inside.

The biggest problem for me was that it wasn't broke and PD tried to fix it with Morais and White. They were good to watch during the good run, but since the turn of the year we've won 4 games in 19 and only 2 games in the 17 which Morais has started during this 19 game run since the turn of the year, time to change it and for me reverting back to the early season formation will make all the difference. Like it or not Morais is a luxury player and i'm convinced he'd have a bigger impact from the bench. I'd love to see us forming wave after wave of sublime attack but it's simply not happening, despite Morais ability. We need to get ugly for 9 games to ensure we get those 6 points asap. Keep players like White and Morais in the team week in week out and we'll be sweating it out on the final day again.

Edited by oafcprozac

I think the criticism of Morais on Saturday is well wide of the mark TBH.

In the first half he was our best player offenively, he gives us something different and produced a superb dinked cross to the far post that was begging to be buried, but we never seem to have enough players in the box when we do produce a great delivery.

A mention also for Reid who had by a distance his best Latics performance that I have seen, I think he looks fitter and slightly trimmer, he held the ball up really well and produced some good lay offs, the only downside is that he doesn't look like scoring, but still his contribution was a massive improvement for me.

I think the criticism of Morais on Saturday is well wide of the mark TBH.

In the first half he was our best player offenively, he gives us something different and produced a superb dinked cross to the far post that was begging to be buried, but we never seem to have enough players in the box when we do produce a great delivery.

A mention also for Reid who had by a distance his best Latics performance that I have seen, I think he looks fitter and slightly trimmer, he held the ball up really well and produced some good lay offs, the only downside is that he doesn't look like scoring, but still his contribution was a massive improvement for me.

Reid did the donkey work well on Saturday, I think he should get an extended run. He did spend too much time outside the box, hopefully when Taylor is fit he will provide the assists for Brooke and Reid to knock in a few. I do agree with the positives about Morais, what I am trying to highlight are the things he doesn't do well. Discipline - as in tracking back and not leaving us exposed which is having a massive effect. Anyone who saw him at MK and Bristol will know what I mean, but i'm sure people saw it v Peterborough, Sheff Wed and on Saturday too. The dinked cross WAS sublime and infuriating that no one was in the box AGAIN!