Crowd and cost against Tranmere

Let's just go the whole hog and make it a behind-closed-doors game. Serious suggestion.

I'll be watching it from the comfort of my arm chair.

E4e

PTMER

I'm with you on that, brother.

Me and the Wag will be watching it on the telly, and then turning it over at 9pm to watch Glee.

Given the disenchantment at our club at the moment, I can't see much of an away following either.

Home gates at Prenton Park have sunk as low as just over 4000, a level we haven't seen for over 20 years, and although its only down the road to your place, I think many will settle for watching on TV.

By the way, and I haven't come over to gloat (& haven't read the other threads on here yet) but I hear that the Failsworth plan is dead - now I know that leaves you with short term problems, with players not being paid and that, but in the bigger picture, I'm guessing most of you are relieved that a proposed move away from your spititual home, and much further in towards the city centre, is not happening? Can you not now redevelop on your current site, or does the financial situation make that a non-starter?

IIRC we have about 3,000 season ticket holders, but there were less than 2,700 home fans present last night, in full knowledge of the Club's cash crisis and desperate need for bums on seats. :disappointed:

You're not going to guilt people into going. It was on the telly, we havent scored in ages, we havent won in longer - what did you expect?

I saved my £20 and will be spending it on extra beer for Saturday. I watched it, it bored me - I turned Waking the Dead on at 9. If I'd have paid to have gone, I'd have to have sat through it. Wise decision, I think.

You're not going to guilt people into going. It was on the telly, we havent scored in ages, we havent won in longer - what did you expect?

I saved my £20 and will be spending it on extra beer for Saturday. I watched it, it bored me - I turned Waking the Dead on at 9. If I'd have paid to have gone, I'd have to have sat through it. Wise decision, I think.

It's not a matter of what I expect. It's putting money in to help the Club survive.

You won't have to bother about being bored watching Latics, if watching Latics is no longer an option.

IIRC we have about 3,000 season ticket holders, but there were less than 2,700 home fans present last night, in full knowledge of the Club's cash crisis and desperate need for bums on seats. :disappointed:

Some season ticket holders won't have been able to go (I know 2). Quite simply the club decided that playing on a Monday night on telly was better than playing on the weekend (it was moved originally wasn't it- because of the England game, funny how loads of teams are playing tonight). The club may have made the wrong decision in taking the money from Sky but I'm not sure.

If the club want people to turn up then they shouldn't have played on a Monday night on telly with full prices. Its a sad state of affairs but guilting the people of Oldham into turning up didn't work very well when Moore pulled his money out, its less likely to work now. Some of the landlords decisions since then haven't exactly encouraged people to turn up week-in week-out, not to mention the lack of marketing.

From a marketing point of view I'm not sure there is much more they can do to promote home matches that would be cost effective.

In Oldham I would agree, not too sure about elsewhere but think its not likely. Although the cheap in game worked quite well didn't it- however, if it was that cheap more regularly then it would probably become less effective.

i thought that was a great crowd under the circumstances

To be fair, I thought it was decent enough crowd under the circumstances , and although a smallish away contingent, I was surprised there were even as many Rovers fans there as that, given the deep dissatisfaction at our club. Pop over to The Cowsheds, and you'll see what I mean! :wink:

To be fair, I thought it was decent enough crowd under the circumstances , and although a smallish away contingent, I was surprised there were even as many Rovers fans there as that, given the deep dissatisfaction at our club. Pop over to The Cowsheds, and you'll see what I mean! :wink:

yeah 445 for an almost pointless away game on tv on a monday night is good, double what i expected.

yeah 445 for an almost pointless away game on tv on a monday night is good, double what i expected.

Hardly pointless for us though was it - we're still very much in the middle of a real dogfight to avoid the drop!

I think many Rovers fans were shocked that our "manager" set us up to protect a point against a team who, let's be honest, were previously in freefall. As it was, we all saw that in the end, we were probably fortunate to escape with a draw, but such lack of ambition and the dreary, overly cautious approach is causing something approaching civil war at our club.

Lower division football eh - don't you just love it! :mad: