So we are in a relegation battle and we get rid of our best player

I don't agree Joe. He was missing for a few games of this trecherous run, and of the few goals we have managed to score, one of them was a beauty from Dale. To see he won't have much impact suggests a bit of naivity. Then again, it could be soothed with an immediate impact by the new boy Lowe, but having to pin our hopes on someone so inexperienced leaves me more than a tad uncomfortable about the run-in.

Do you really think we're going to miss Stephens that much?

Is there anyone, seriously, in this squad that we've had in the last couple of months that could be considered as an "impact" player?

No one that we have at the moment is indispensible.

Jeez, we're on the worst run we've had for 30 odd years - I'm amazed that anyone wants to buy any of our players.

If Stephens was that valuable then, in my opinion, the signs should have been more obvious. A solitary (albeit cracking...) goal in a defeat against Sheffield Wednesday is definitely not enough to indicate that he'll be the difference between relegation and survival.

Do you really think we're going to miss Stephens that much?

Is there anyone, seriously, in this squad that we've had in the last couple of months that could be considered as an "impact" player?

No one that we have at the moment is indispensible.

Jeez, we're on the worst run we've had for 30 odd years - I'm amazed that anyone wants to buy any of our players.

If Stephens was that valuable then, in my opinion, the signs should have been more obvious. A solitary (albeit cracking...) goal in a defeat against Sheffield Wednesday is definitely not enough to indicate that he'll be the difference between relegation and survival.

Adding to his 10 goals might be the difference though...our main source for goals has gone...it's got to be considered as a big loss under current circumstances.

Get. A. :censored:ing. Grip.

Sorry Garcon,

Im going out partying tonight at Latics yet again getting rid of our best player.

we shouldnt have blown wages on people like Feeney, Reeney Todd et al if we was in that bad a position !

And before you say it I know that was before the council debarcle but Corney shouldnt have been paying wages against investment that hadnt happened yet

Sorry Garcon,

I'm going out partying tonight at Latics yet again getting rid of our best player.

We shouldn't have blown wages on people like Feeney, Reeney Todd et al if we was in that bad a position!

And before you say it I know that was before the council debacle but Corney shouldn't have been paying wages against investment that hadn't happened yet

I agree we shouldn't have blown a shed load of wages on players at the start or halfway stage of the season. But, having done so surely it is prudent to safegaurd the club by selling a player or two rather than going under?

And just so we can see what a great player we have sold, he's joined Southampton, not AC Milan. It's remarkable how people value a couple of places of mid-table obscurity.

Get. A. :censored:ing. Grip.

You get a grip, wake up and see what is going on. It's not the end of days yet but it's one thing after the other at the moment and we are on the brink. We can't happy clap our way out of our current situation.

Adding to his 10 goals might be the difference though...our main source for goals has gone...it's got to be considered as a big loss under current circumstances.

As might Taylor adding to his goals, or The Tonk, or Furman, etc....

"Our main source of goals" has also been helped to get this label because of the fact he takes penalties. If he wasn't our penalty taker, a total of 6 goals for this season looks a fair bit less impressive.

Edited by JoeP

the club needed to get rid to help survive in the long run, business is business

from a team point of view, yeas he score some goals this season, lots of pens (pawel abbott anyone :wink: )

but i think i would have been more worried if we had sold furman

what we need at the moment is people who will go out there put there foot in where it hurts and stephens wasnt that man for me

he is not good wenough for the championship.....YET , possibly not even good enough to get in southampton midfield when they are all fit.

very replacable in that midfied and to prove it we will win on Monday - you can quote me on it :grin:

Edited by palmer1

the club needed to get rid to help survive in the long run, business is business

from a team point of view, yeas he score some goals this season, lots of pens (pawel abbott anyone :wink: )

but i think i would have been more worried if we had sold furman

what we need at the moment is people who will go out there put there foot in where it hurts and stephens wasnt that man for me

he is not good wenough for the championship.....YET , possibly not even good enough to get in southampton midfield when they are all fit.

very replacable in that midfied and to prove it we will win on Monday - you can quote me on it :grin:

Agree -

In a relegation scrap i would sooner have 2 Furmans than Stephens so hopefully Lowe will give us that dimension .

Beat the bindippers on Monday and all this talk will be forgot !!!!

You get a grip, wake up and see what is going on. It's not the end of days yet but it's one thing after the other at the moment and we are on the brink. We can't happy clap our way out of our current situation.

I’d echo some of the posts on here; what were people expecting?

We failed to pay the players last month; cash flow at the club is obviously a major issue and so I thought it was obvious that at least 1 player would be off on one those ‘loan with a view to buy’ deals like Bournemouth did with McCoid........

I thought it would be Furman TBH; Perma-tanned Phil Brown was waxing lyrical about Dean in the media work he was doing before he got the Preston job; I thought it was entirely plausible that he would come in for Furman (plus the media coverage Furman has had for his award-winning goal too?)

Right, so the facts are we’ve now lost Stephens for the rest of season. If we are to believe what we’ve fed; it’s not a nailed on permanent move at the end of it. He has a (for this level) long contract with us; and as we’ve been told; he’ll be coming back to us at the end of the season. Now granted; I’d be amazed if he then didn’t move on for a fee to somewhere; be it Saints or elsewhere but still – technically; he’s coming back to us.

We’ve lost our top goal scorer and a player who basically everything we did went through. Whilst I wasn’t impressed with his form pre-illness; once we was out of the side; it showed IMO that we missed him – we didn’t look the same bet without Stephens. At that stage; we ‘replaced’ him with an 18 year old from a prem side; and it really didn’t work out at all as Mantom just wasn’t up to the job. We’ve now done the same thing again and brought in another youngster to shoulder a huge responsibility in the centre of the park – will it work this time; we’ll just have to see if Lowe is up to it won’t we?

I’m really annoyed we’ve weakened our playing side at a time when we really shouldn’t be > but I’m also realistic enough to realise that we evidently needed to for financial reasons. As someone else has posted; If this means we as a club can afford to pay the players over the summer; then it would have to go down as a good thing no?

You missed my point. (And I thought it was so eloquent too... :unsure: )

I'm wide awake and able to see what is going on, and I certainly ain't one of the happy clappers who think a prayer and a sing song will see us fine.

My point was that by making such a fuss over Stephens' departure it is Razza who doesn't seem to realise the true extent of our problems.

It's pretty obvious to me (and really should be to anyone with at least a whole brain cell) that we are not in a position to turn down a respectable offer for one of the few players on our books who can command some kind of fee.

Yes, some may say that Stephens leaving increases the risk of us falling into a relegation scrap. But not taking the offer on the table increases the much graver financial risk to the club's very existence.

You missed my point. (And I thought it was so eloquent too... :unsure: )

I'm wide awake and able to see what is going on, and I certainly ain't one of the happy clappers who think a prayer and a sing song will see us fine.

My point was that by making such a fuss over Stephens' departure it is Razza who doesn't seem to realise the true extent of our problems.

It's pretty obvious to me (and really should be to anyone with at least a whole brain cell) that we are not in a position to turn down a respectable offer for one of the few players on our books who can command some kind of fee.

Yes, some may say that Stephens leaving increases the risk of us falling into a relegation scrap. But not taking the offer on the table increases the much graver financial risk to the club's very existence.

No, i didn't get any of that from "Get. A. :censored:ing. Grip". You must have more brain cells than i do.

Lol...me too...the lad clearly hasn't seen Jones in the middle or clearly doesn't know much about football. I'll give him benefit of the doubt and say he hasn't seen him in midfield. Which ironically, not many of us have when he's played there as he is utterly anonymous in the position. More so than Butcher was!

I saw him stand out in that position several times for Hartlepool against us, good enough?

"What do people expect?"

People have been using this pisspoor excuse for a reason for a number of years now to justify each bad, desperate, kneejerk decision by our board. Each one making the situation worse and worse. F***ing sick of it!!!

Apathy from the stayaways, apathy in the boardroom, apathy amongst most accepting diehards/fans that haven't yet walked. It's a million miles from people burning effigies at Torex...instead of the powers that be offering crumbs and a car with an empty engine for sale to new potential owners, they should be selling up, lock, stock and accepting they've failed and accept their loss. That would be doing right and making good on the promise they all came with. Nobody's bothered tho...too busy sat feeling sorry for ourselves and accepting it...too busy making excuses for the botched job these clowns have produced. We had less than 4,000 when the reds and blues of Manchester were rubbish in the early 80's and survived...we had less than 4,000 in the late 90s early 00's under Brierley and co and survived...this time there's no way out unless they do the right thing and sell the land and club together. They've gambled and taken away option after option for us to survive...and the majority either stick up for them or have walked away. I guess the upshot is that a lot of people are going to get what they deserve. F*** all!

Edited by boundaryblue80

"What do people expect?"

People have been using this pisspoor excuse for a reason for a number of years now to justify each bad, desperate, kneejerk decision by our board. Each one making the situation worse and worse. F***ing sick of it!!!

Apathy from the stayaways, apathy in the boardroom, apathy amongst most accepting diehards/fans that haven't yet walked. It's a million miles from people burning effigies at Torex...instead of the powers that be offering crumbs and a car with an empty engine for sale to new potential owners, they should be selling up, lock, stock and accepting they've failed and accept their loss. That would be doing right and making good on the promise they all came with. Nobody's bothered tho...too busy sat feeling sorry for ourselves and accepting it...too busy making excuses for the botched job these clowns have produced. We had less than 4,000 when the reds and blues of Manchester were rubbish in the early 80's and survived...we had less than 4,000 in the late 90s early 00's under Brierley and co and survived...this time there's no way out unless they do the right thing and sell the land and club together. They've gambled and taken away option after option for us to survive...and the majority either stick up for them or have walked away. I guess the upshot is that a lot of people are going to get what they deserve. F*** all!

And so it came to pass, that the hammer did come down and strike the nail firmly on its head.