AV referendum - how will you be voting and why?

AV yes or no?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How will you be voting?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is bloody tricky Garcon, I can see this being defeated to a worse extent than the congestion charge and the No campaign claiming a great victory - "The public have no appetite for change" or "What we have is the best system and the public can see that" - both of these are very wrong statements.

If yes were to win I think it would be a step down the right road but I can not see it happening, it is probably at the wrong time, when people are struggling to pay bills the last thing on their mind is electoral reform. Yet perversely for the very same reasons reform is exactly what is needed at this time.

Sadly though it will be kicked into the long grass and forgotten about for decades only with a resounding "we asked the people and they firmly rejected it". Neither side has really put their case forward properly - "The BNP benefit" or "It makes MPs work harder" aren't really arguments that hold any water. Shame really that this important question is able to be glossed over so easily, pretty much like most things in modern politics that isn't straight forward.

I could well see a yes win on a very low turnout, which could be very interesting, it could even encourage the no-ers not to let it through parliament. Now that would :censored: the coalition good and proper. I just think that the only people who can be arsed to vote are more likely to be in favour.

I could well see a yes win on a very low turnout, which could be very interesting, it could even encourage the no-ers not to let it through parliament. Now that would :censored: the coalition good and proper. I just think that the only people who can be arsed to vote are more likely to be in favour.

They need to run this poll on the AV basis where you can express a second preference from the choices given.

Your second vote is mandatory and has equal weighting to your first vote.

That would ensure fair play.

They need to run this poll on the AV basis where you can express a second preference from the choices given.

Your second vote is mandatory and has equal weighting to your first vote.

That would ensure fair play.

It would also ensure a rare trip by me to my neighbourhood turf accountant.

Not a clue what i'm gonna vote as there seems to be no clear best choice (i don't suppose there ever is but with this it seems really split 50/50). I'm just edging towards yes just because it will show that we are interested in making changes to the political system in this country, as others have pointed out, becuase if we don't then we might not get another oppourtunity to do so again for a good while as those in power might think we are happy with the way everything is. At this stage though it could be just how i feel on the day that will decide my vote.

voteb3ta2.gif

Edited by Oafc88

Firstly, the idea that a vote for AV is a vote for Clegg and no is a vote for Cameron is a bit short termist really, so I’m not sure why people think that’s a great idea.

I read last week that all of the comparisons in support of FPTP seem to be sporting ones, which again I don’t actually think is great. For example, yes one person/team can win something one week but another team can win it the next, so who is actually the better team? If one team plays crap and doesn’t do anything, then gets a dodgy penalty and scores, are they truly the better team?

Against AV, it could lead in a rise of influence of minority parties such as EDL, BNP but it could also mean that decent people get a better say to. The question is, do we think the UK democracy is robust and dynamic enough to do this without getting into the problems of 1930’s Germany. Currently yes, but will it be the case if something really bad goes wrong, probably not.

As for FPTP and one man one vote, I don’t think that is true as my vote has never really counted for anything. I have lived in 5 different constituencies and my MP has been Labour every time, which I have had no real choice over. AV would give me a vote as would PR.

At the end of the day I am undecided really but am probably in favour of AV by 1 or 2%.

Firstly, the idea that a vote for AV is a vote for Clegg and no is a vote for Cameron is a bit short termist really, so I’m not sure why people think that’s a great idea.

I read last week that all of the comparisons in support of FPTP seem to be sporting ones, which again I don’t actually think is great. For example, yes one person/team can win something one week but another team can win it the next, so who is actually the better team? If one team plays crap and doesn’t do anything, then gets a dodgy penalty and scores, are they truly the better team?

Against AV, it could lead in a rise of influence of minority parties such as EDL, BNP but it could also mean that decent people get a better say to. The question is, do we think the UK democracy is robust and dynamic enough to do this without getting into the problems of 1930’s Germany. Currently yes, but will it be the case if something really bad goes wrong, probably not.

As for FPTP and one man one vote, I don’t think that is true as my vote has never really counted for anything. I have lived in 5 different constituencies and my MP has been Labour every time, which I have had no real choice over. AV would give me a vote as would PR.

At the end of the day I am undecided really but am probably in favour of AV by 1 or 2%.

Your vote does count... Its just the majority of people disagree with your choice. Welcome to democracy :)

Edited by oafc0000

Your vote does count... Its just the majority of people disagree with your choice. Welcome to democracy :)

Well my vote counts a lot less than under PR or AV and when compared to a marginal seat, doesn't really count at all.

Though saying that, PR did well in Germany in the 1930's.....

Well my vote counts a lot less than under PR or AV and when compared to a marginal seat, doesn't really count at all.

So you get two bites at the cherry and someone else gets one bite... Well that sounds fair B)

My vote was decided for me by my housemate who through away all the polling cards. Guess I had better just get use to whichever one wins. I was leaning on the side of yes - simply because I really make it known how badly I dislike the torys because i could vote against them twice.

My vote was decided for me by my housemate who through away all the polling cards. Guess I had better just get use to whichever one wins. I was leaning on the side of yes - simply because I really make it known how badly I dislike the torys because i could vote against them twice.

Whoops - you don't need the polling card to vote. You don't need ID, you just turn up and tell them who you are, or who the person whose vote you want to use is...

Yes and no - unless your vote is the last one counted in a tie, it doesn't affect the outcome at all whatever the system so is equally worthless. It has been decades since any one person's vote changed a Parliamentary seat, so no person's vote made a difference to the government that followed. The Germany argument can go either way, Hitler formed a coalition and remodelled the constitution. He could have done so with a coalition formed under PR or FPTP. The only defence against similar is to oppose a collectivist government of either the left or the right, as democracy means nothing when government is so huge that most of it's policies as fixed and run by committee anyway.

Whoops - you don't need the polling card to vote. You don't need ID, you just turn up and tell them who you are, or who the person whose vote you want to use is...

...and in my local area you can vote for dead people and more than once. More people voted than were on the list for the locality. By fifty. Beat that for turnout.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be voting no because it's gash. I'd be up for PR but this... nah

But this is a stepping stone to PR, if we turn this down the powers that be will say none of us are interested in reform and are all happy with the way things are. Political reform will be kicked into the long grass for generations.

AV isn't great but it is better than FPTP - just look at the Canadian result today!

Saying No to AV is saying no to reform longer term.