Windfall

After reading once again that MIcah Richards is looking to go abroad to move his career forward, I was wondering what others on this board would want the club to do with say a windfall of £5m.

Would you want SC to increase the budget to match the big boys?

Would you want the budget increased to be in the top ten over several years?

Would you want it to go toward a new Broadway stand with banqueting facilities, boxes, offices and gym etc.?

Would you want it to go towards a new stadium?

Would you want it to go towards buying back Boundary Park?

Lastly how do you think SC would really use it?

My personal preference would be a new Broadway stand and a small increase in the budget. A new 12000 seat stadium somewhere in Oldham would condemn us to League 1/2 football for ever. Hopefully income from the new facilities would provide money further down the line, to eventually redevlop BP. What's the point in moving to another sight when we already have the best available sight in the town.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading once again that MIcah Richards is looking to go abroad to move his career forward, I was wondering what others on this board would want the club to do with say a windfall of £5m.

Would you want SC to increase the budget to match the big boys?

Would you want the budget increased to be in the top ten over several years?

Would you want it to go toward a new Broadway stand with banqueting facilities, boxes, offices and gym etc.?

Would you want it to go towards a new stadium?

Would you want it to go towards buying back Boundary Park?

Lastly how do you think SC would really use it?

My personal preference would be a new Broadway stand and a small increase in the budget. A new 12000 seat stadium somewhere in Oldham would condemn us to League 1/2 football for ever. Hopefully income from the new facilities would provide money further down the line, to eventually redevlop BP. What's the point in moving to another sight when we already have the best available sight in the town.

The money would not belong to Oldham Athletic. Think it would just pay Blitz back

So would staying at Boundary Park. Nothing personal al_bro, but the small mindedness of some of our fans who are not willing to accept anything apart from a stand by stand redevelopment of Boundary Park is beyond me. A new stadium is about a hell of alot more than building four stands around a football field.

What makes Boundary Park the best available site in town (and for the record we dont have it, Brass Bank Ltd do).

So would staying at Boundary Park. Nothing personal al_bro, but the small mindedness of some of our fans who are not willing to accept anything apart from a stand by stand redevelopment of Boundary Park is beyond me. A new stadium is about a hell of alot more than building four stands around a football field.

What makes Boundary Park the best available site in town (and for the record we dont have it, Brass Bank Ltd do).

And it's the small mindedness of our fans who are happy to have a new four sided ground at our current site. But they dont realise that it will be worst to do that for the football club. It will just put us in more debt and would kill us off. Thats why we need to bring in revenue in on non match days keep us going but like you said L_C our small minded fans wouldnt accept that.

I'd like to see money from a windfall invested in the club as much as possible. Increase the budget but use the increase to secure the futures of players the manager would like to keep at the club or would have a saleable value. I believe you could attract the right players to go for promotion on the budget we are on now with the right manager.

I think some money should be invested in young players such as Porter, Stephens etc who should increase in value over the years and could be sold on at a later date at a profit.

Would also like to see the youth team facilities improved. We've got a great setup currently, be good if we could do even more.

Some of the money could be used to 'modernise' the club as well. Bring it into the 21st century and more profitable, enjoyable as a result.

I really don't care any more, however...

If a site could be found that was central, better serviced by main routes, big enough and cheap enough, I'd back a properly funded move.

Until then, I would rather see redevelopment of Boundary Park as and when that becomes financially viable. There is absolutely no reason (a couple of outline plans for residential development aside) why all the additional facilities that would be built at a new site cannot be incorporated into a redeveloped Boundary Park.

And I have STILL never seen a convincing financial argument to prove that since the property crash redeveloping Boundary Park is not viable, and yet selling it, buying an other patch of land and building a brand new facility from scratch somehow is.

Edit: Oh, and in answer to the windfall question, settle with Blitz and put what's left into a Broadway Stand fund.

Edited by garcon

And it's the small mindedness of our fans who are happy to have a new four sided ground at our current site. But they dont realise that it will be worst to do that for the football club. It will just put us in more debt and would kill us off. Thats why we need to bring in revenue in on non match days keep us going but like you said L_C our small minded fans wouldnt accept that.

Completely agree Lee.

Notice as well how I said 'stand by stand' redevelopment of Boundary Park. If by some miracle we got new ownership who agreed to build the stadium where we are now, on the basis that the whole of BP was flattened and rebuilt at once, with us groundsharing for a couple of season whilst this was done, and you would still get moans of 'why cant we do it stand by stand' 'im not going whilst the club are ground sharing' etc.

The smalltown 'go back' mentality of a significant proportion of our fanbase is in my opinion playing a big part in holding the club back. Personally, I would not be against us moving across to tameside if a site could be found there that was alot more viable than any that could be found in Oldham, but I regognise that I am probably in a minority with that one.

As for a 'broadway stand fund', again very short sighted. The main stand and the chaddy end as they are probably have an absolute maximum of two seasons left before they need to be either demolished or need a significant amount of work done to them. What good is a fund for a new stand when we would also need a new chaddy end and a new stand to replace the current main stand (or if we were really doing it on the cheap, a new roof on the chaddy combined with two more side stands).

I really don't care any more, however...

If a site could be found that was central, better serviced by main routes, big enough and cheap enough, I'd back a properly funded move.

Until then, I would rather see redevelopment of Boundary Park as and when that becomes financially viable. There is absolutely no reason (a couple of outline plans for residential development aside) why all the additional facilities that would be built at a new site cannot be incorporated into a redeveloped Boundary Park.

And I have STILL never seen a convincing financial argument to prove that since the property crash redeveloping Boundary Park is not viable, and yet selling it, buying an other patch of land and building a brand new facility from scratch somehow is.

Edit: Oh, and in answer to the windfall question, settle with Blitz and put what's left into a Broadway Stand fund.

Boundary park is in a residential area immediately surrounded by housing, similar to Everton. When it comes to additional facilities there would be considerably less limitations regarding what facilities we can and can't incorporate. At Boundary Park we would probably be able to incorporate conferencing facilities, a gym, and if we are lucky, a hotel, and that would be our lot.

Completely agree Lee.

Notice as well how I said 'stand by stand' redevelopment of Boundary Park. If by some miracle we got new ownership who agreed to build the stadium where we are now, on the basis that the whole of BP was flattened and rebuilt at once, with us groundsharing for a couple of season whilst this was done, and you would still get moans of 'why cant we do it stand by stand' 'im not going whilst the club are ground sharing' etc.

The smalltown 'go back' mentality of a significant proportion of our fanbase is in my opinion playing a big part in holding the club back. Personally, I would not be against us moving across to tameside if a site could be found there that was alot more viable than any that could be found in Oldham, but I regognise that I am probably in a minority with that one.

As for a 'broadway stand fund', again very short sighted. The main stand and the chaddy end as they are probably have an absolute maximum of two seasons left before they need to be either demolished or need a significant amount of work done to them. What good is a fund for a new stand when we would also need a new chaddy end and a new stand to replace the current main stand (or if we were really doing it on the cheap, a new roof on the chaddy combined with two more side stands).

It's not small-minded for wanting your club to play in the town that shares the same name. It's why I support them. Redevelop BP or move to a new site in the borough of Oldham. I'm easy with either.

The money would not belong to Oldham Athletic. Think it would just pay Blitz back

I'm not saying you are wrong, because I have heard this too from another source, but I think it would be so unreasonable of Blitz to do it.

I don't mind the loan being there, so if we somehow find a billionaire who feels like buying a dying club, Blitz can get his money back. But to take money from the club that is desperatly needed would be a pretty low act. I would like to think that Blitz still has enough feeling for the club to allow the club to keep any windfall they get from sell on clauses.

I hope anyway.

Completely agree Lee.

The smalltown 'go back' mentality of a significant proportion of our fanbase is in my opinion playing a big part in holding the club back Personally, I would not be against us moving across to tameside if a site could be found there that was alot more viable than any that could be found in Oldham, but I regognise that I am probably in a minority with that one.

Exactly. Im for ANYTHING that would mean the club would last longer. Staying at BP is a option but only a short term option due to nothing else is bringing in the money.

Fans need to realise that you carnt keep something forever. chesterfield have moved and they are reaping in the rewards now. And they are also based on the outskirts of chesterfield just like ashton is to us.

Edited by LaticsLee

Exactly. Im for ANYTHING that would mean the club would last longer. Staying at BP is a option but only a short term option due to nothing else is bringing in the money.

Fans need to realise that you carnt keep something forever. chesterfield have moved and they are reaping in the rewards now. And they are also based on the outskirts of chesterfield just like ashton is to us.

Its a

Ashton United

Curzon Ashton

Hyde United

Stalybridge Celtic

Mossley

Droylsden

Take your pick.

I'll support Oldham in Oldham. Can't support Oldham in Tameside.

Anyways back on topic?

depends where abouts in tameside. if you support a club you support them anywhere not all this crying little bull:censored: of " oh im not going all the way there to watch latics because its not in oldham " dont hear man u fans crying do you ? its pathetic your club is your club no matter where it is.

anyway back on topic, micah richards wont go.

depends where abouts in tameside. if you support a club you support them anywhere not all this crying little bull:censored: of " oh im not going all the way there to watch latics because its not in oldham " dont hear man u fans crying do you ? its pathetic your club is your club no matter where it is.

anyway back on topic, micah richards wont go.

I support the town. It's no longer my club if it moves away. Ashton might as well be Milton Keynes to me. I'm sure you can't see that though.

I support the town. It's no longer my club if it moves away. Ashton might as well be Milton Keynes to me. I'm sure you can't see that though.

MK Is a massive difference ! Support the town ? i dont. i support the club oldham athletic. yes maybe they are called oldham but i dont care where they are ill still be going no matter. i dont even like oldham and only go in oldham for match days. still dosnt take away my love for the club.

MK Is a massive difference ! Support the town ? i dont. i support the club oldham athletic. yes maybe they are called oldham but i dont care where they are ill still be going no matter. i dont even like oldham and only go in oldham for match days. still dosnt take away my love for the club.

I have the same attitude as lee. I support the club, but have grown to absolutely despise the town and would not be opposed to a move out of the town to a neighbouring MBC as long as the site there was more viable than any in Oldham. But realise there are people who support the club because of its association with the town so would hold nothing against that view.

Doing an MK would be the equivalent to Oldham Athletic moving to a location thats 50 miles away or so without a pro football club, eg lancaster, making it impractical for supporters of the club to go there week in week out. Moving to tameside would add 10 mins tops onto most peoples journey times. Whilst if a namechange to anything other than Pine Villa would probably almost certainly constitute a refranchising (and the club would have to disassociate itself with the achievements of Oldham Athletic, like Milton Keynes had to do with Wimbledon) it would not be on the same scale as Milton Keynes.

Boundary park is in a residential area immediately surrounded by housing, similar to Everton. When it comes to additional facilities there would be considerably less limitations regarding what facilities we can and can't incorporate. At Boundary Park we would probably be able to incorporate conferencing facilities, a gym, and if we are lucky, a hotel, and that would be our lot.

True there would be some limitations due to being surrounded by residential property - especially with those to the west (behind the Chaddy) already started.

But do you honestly believe we're going to see some magical plan for an all new stadium in an as yet undisclosed location that has income generating facilities far beyond the plans we had for Boundary Park pre-crash?

Bear in mind the only things that ever seem to get built in Oldham are houses and retail outlets. (And maybe the odd, empty office).

I don't think wanting to stay at the BP site is small minded. Not understanding the need for extra income is. Refusing to temporarily go to a ground share during redevelopment most certainly is. And turning down the real alternative of a better site with better facilities would be. But that option doesn't exist, yet.

It's not small-minded for wanting your club to play in the town that shares the same name. It's why I support them. Redevelop BP or move to a new site in the borough of Oldham. I'm easy with either.

I never said that. I recognise I am in a significant minority of supporters who would not be against a move out of the borough. The small mindedness I was referring to was for the fans who will not accept anything other than a stand by stand redevelopment of BP, who think that just building a new broadway stand will do, who are moaning about the possibility of the club changing the badge (despite the fact its not the first time it has changed), whom always think the answer to problems is turning to the past (the 'bring' <insert popular ex player or manager> back' brigade). Those where the group of fans I was referring to.

I think Brass Banks will be the owner of any site we play at. Failsworth is also owned by Brass Bank and no doubt will be sold to fund any other site. The club doesn't have any cash to buy land anywhere, never mind a stadium to put on it.