Worst moment watching latics

I think you must have been the only one who thought that. Including the players. Most of us feared our chance had likely gone after that goal, which is why it sucked oh so many donkey balls.

Yes, I'm optimistic. And unusual.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost felt the replay after THAT goal was worse. I honestly thought we'd do 'em in the replay. As it became clear we were already deflated, that's when my personal bubble burst.

Never in a million years did I think we'd do 'em in the replay. That's why the arse fell out of my world. They had players suspended for the first game, we had our chance and blew it. Kanchelskis coming back into the team destroyed us, if only Sharp had buried that chance to make it 2-0 - then it would have been academic, despite all that I still thought we had enough to stay up. All we needed was one win, and we didn't get that...

Never in a million years did I think we'd do 'em in the replay. That's why the arse fell out of my world. They had players suspended for the first game, we had our chance and blew it. Kanchelskis coming back into the team destroyed us, if only Sharp had buried that chance to make it 2-0 - then it would have been academic, despite all that I still thought we had enough to stay up. All we needed was one win, and we didn't get that...

Last year I got the 'This Life' Box Set and in it Andrew Lincoln watches'that' match on video while he's at home after quiting his job. I felt like pushing the TV over. I

It showed him reacting to Sharp's miss (couldn't see the goal but could hear the commentary) and then him cheering 'that' goal. Bastard, bloody bastard.

That goal - obviously.Being 10 years old and naive, I was convinced we would win the replay. I also remember us losing at home the week after (to west ham?) and we were absolutely awful. That night on the way home my dad said "make sure you know now, we are going down and we wont come back up". I thought he was lying.

Mark Hughes aside:

Hereford away in Shez' last season when we got pummelled.

QPR away was devastating, such a cruel fashion to end of promotion dream.

Tranmere on BFJ return.

Blackpool away under Talbot, think we lost 2-0. It hammered it down and we played shíte.

As for Blackpool away 06/07, it was no where near as bad as QPR. Against Blackpool there was a realisation that we just weren't good enough, that we were in freefall and only just scraped that playoff place and came up against a team who had won 14 out of 17, over the two legs they pasted us and deserved to win. In fact the end of that game was one of the best Latics moments for me, just watch Parker's goal and tell me who you hear chanting at the end:

That's right, we'd lost but there was so much optimism for the next season. I remember Shez coming over to us with players, applauding us and shouting "NEXT SEASON!" and that vibe lasted all the way to beating Swansea in the opening game of the next season.

Edited by PlayItLivo

That goal - obviously.Being 10 years old and naive, I was convinced we would win the replay. I also remember us losing at home the week after (to west ham?) and we were absolutely awful. That night on the way home my dad said "make sure you know now, we are going down and we wont come back up". I thought he was lying.

Yep West Ham L1-2

Then Newcastle (A) L2-3

Wimbledon L0-3

Sheff Wed D0-0

Sheff Utd D1-1

Spurs L0-2

Norwich D1-1

Another draw and one win would have kept us up….

I think Livo has it right when we played Hereford away. Shocking result, infighting between players, infighting between fans. Horrible chants against a fellow fan.

Probably the worst I've ever felt about this club and what stopped me going regulary.

He missed a hat-trick of chances that day - so what did we do as a punishment? That's right, we made him manager.....

:petesake:

Tranmere in joe's return was upsetting. I remember looking at him on the sideline when the 2nd went in and it upset me. I wasn't going to remember him like that. I only went to one more game that season (the southend game) - basically to say thank you for the past.

I think Livo has it right when we played Hereford away. Shocking result, infighting between players, infighting between fans. Horrible chants against a fellow fan.

Probably the worst I've ever felt about this club and what stopped me going regulary.

I'm the only one who didn't have a bad day that day then?! It was that bad - it was funny.

Barnsley away and the absue Butcher got that day was another dark day.

I almost felt the replay after THAT goal was worse. I honestly thought we'd do 'em in the replay. As it became clear we were already deflated, that's when my personal bubble burst.

my abiding memory of that day was when we got on the train a bloke got on and yelled "cheer up everyone, we'll stuff them on Wednesday"

that day aside did anyone remember the Grimsby game in 1997 or as my brother refered to as "Black Saturday" when we lost 3-0, I think Sharp got sacked after the game, I think someone ran on the pitch can someone enlighten me?

my abiding memory of that day was when we got on the train a bloke got on and yelled "cheer up everyone, we'll stuff them on Wednesday"

that day aside did anyone remember the Grimsby game in 1997 or as my brother refered to as "Black Saturday" when we lost 3-0, I think Sharp got sacked after the game, I think someone ran on the pitch can someone enlighten me?

Ran on and sat in the centre circle. Someone did the same earlier on that season too. Did the game early on in the season finish 3-3? or were we beaten about 5-3? I cant remember the score or who we played. (ipswich?)

Edited by pukka

My 20th Birthday, two down in 20 minutes against a team cut adrift at the bottom of the league. A very young John Oster tore us a one that day, as I worked Saturdays back then it was my first game for 4 months - it was depressing….

Danny Standring went and sat on the centre spot.

Nope, that was earlier in the season v Ipswich (D3-3), Danny got away with it too as he knew the judge and he was a Latics fan, his actual words after fining him was watching Latics was punishment enough!!!

The guy who ventured onto the field v Grimsby got a ban...

I'm the only one who didn't have a bad day that day then?! It was that bad - it was funny.

Barnsley away and the absue Butcher got that day was another dark day.

Getting dicked was disappointing, but hey ho life goes on, but I went on the Beardy Bus and was ready to kill the :censored: who was singing 'Yorkshire, Yorkshire all the way home, I think I finally blew my fuse coming back over the M62 and I told him in no uncertain terms to STFU, he went strangely quiet….tosser!!!!

Sharp walked after that. I used to idolise Sharpey, and I still think to this day had he had a board behind him intent on getting back up instead of intent on chopping the wage bill, we could have possibly done something.

Sharp walked after that. I used to idolise Sharpey, and I still think to this day had he had a board behind him intent on getting back up instead of intent on chopping the wage bill, we could have possibly done something.

The same board that made a Commercial manager Chief Executive and CLub Secretary, bunch of fookin' geniuses...

Going back on topic, when the hughes goal was scored I was only just discovering football, but there are a few standout moments for me with regards to on field results,

The 7-1 Home drubbing by Cardiff City in 2001

4-1 Defeat vs Bristol Rovers at Home in Feb 2000 (3-0 down in 11 mins)

Getting knocked out of the FA cup by Cheltenham under dowie

2-1 home defeat to Stockport under Talbot

Hartlepool and Tranmere at home under Penney (especially Tranmere)

Hughes' goal was a gutter but being only 11 at the time and having a day out at Wembley I didn't really get the significance of it at the time.

Coming home the day after QPR away has got to be the worst I've felt, Pretty much silence all the way. Going out with a girl who was at Uni at LSE living in Shoreditch at the time and me and a couple of mates stayed over...Disastrous night, intended to have a few celebratory beers and just ended up at each others throats.. Horrible coming out of the ground as well, just felt unjust, did more than enough over the 2 legs.

If you exclude hughes.

Some of my worst moments were off the pitch (watching from a distance)

Joe leaving, first time.

Chris Moore's fire sale

Administration

Failsworth falling through

On the pitch

Someone will correctly if I'm wrong, under Ronnie Moore we lost away at Chesterfield towards the end of the season. Despite fighting for our lives at the bottom of the league, not one player on that pitch looked in the slightest bit interested. I have no idea why that sticks with me but I found it soul destroying. The faith certainly waivered after that.