CM Stephens/Morais

ST Reid

ST Feeney/Brooke/Bembo

Subs - McGrath, Millar,

MVoto to maybe replace Hazell

Stephens hasn't gone yet but probably will

I can't see Black not signing

Not a bad side that, especially if MVOto signs

Add a keeper, a striker and keep or replace Stephens and we could do something if they stay fit.

As bad as the end of last season was I think it's important to keep most of the same players together as they'll get better the longer they play together, the better they get to know each other & provided the youngsters kick on & establish themselves.

I'd prefer just 2 or 3 quality signings for once over the usual complete overhaul

GK Ermm....

RB Lee

LB Black

CB Hazell

CB Tarkowski

RM Winchester/Morais

LM Taylor

CM Furman

CM Stephens/Morais

ST Reid

ST Feeney/Brooke/Bembo

Subs - McGrath, Millar,

Add a keeper, a striker and keep or replace Stephens and we could do something if they stay fit.

As bad as the end of last season was I think it's important to keep most of the same players together as they'll get better the longer they play together, the better they get to know each other & provided the youngsters kick on & establish themselves.

I'd prefer just 2 or 3 quality signings for once over the usual complete overhaul

That's a relegation team at this point. It's thin as hell, relying on young developing players (Tarky, Winchester, Black, Brooke, Bembo, Smith) and where are the goals coming from.

Of course, there's still a ship load of players to come in. But be under no illusions, hypothetically if that was the team we went into the season with, we'd need a miracle to stay up.

That's a relegation team at this point. It's thin as hell, relying on young developing players (Tarky, Winchester, Black, Brooke, Bembo, Smith) and where are the goals coming from.

Of course, there's still a ship load of players to come in. But be under no illusions, hypothetically if that was the team we went into the season with, we'd need a miracle to stay up.

We need quality and a fair bit of it to have half a chance. We have some talent at the club but are likely to lose some of it and we have too many players whose heads drop at the slightest hint of adversity. When we were struggling under Stitch we had warriors like Garnett and Dux, under Penney we had Greegs and people like :censored:, we haven't got that now and i'm exteremely worried. Dickov talks a good game, its time to see what he's made of....survival is the brief, we need players who will step up to the plate....

Experienced keeper

Bruiser of a CB (M'Voto)

Experienced Centre-mid in the mould of Mini-Shez

Battering ram striker and a nippy little sod (still two short in my opinion, as can't see Brooke and Bembo being thriwn into a team battling relegation and I think Feeney will be gone)

Do we have it on good authority Stephens is staying. Sounds like he didn't really rip up any trees at Southampton.

Think it'll be tough but the squad is a year older (and hopefully wiser) and with one or two shrewd signings we'll be ok. We need the high energy approach we had at the start of last season. towards the end we were letting teams play and had a more orthodox 4-4-2 formation when I though 4-5-1 looked better for us as we had wingers coming out of our ears.

Smith up front might be a good shout if we can get some service into him.

I'll read this again in 4 months and laugh at how naive I've been!

I think what the club can't afford to do is stubbornly attempt to hold onto some of these names (Stephens, Lee etc) only to then eventually cave in mid-August, or on deadline day by which time the summer turnaround is complete and there wont be the same quality still available. If these players are going to be leaving, let's get it out of the way and give the funds to the manager now. Particularly with Stephens, who presumably has an agreed price with Southampton, and we are clear in our valuation of him should they not chose to take up this option and other clubs come sniffing. I understand the club may need to hold out for the highest possible fee, but we risk then either rushing through transfers with out thorough deliberation, or postponing until January and struggling along with what we have and yet more loanees.

Perhaps this is what Dickov is holding out for? Perhaps we were in with a chance of signing McDonald, but an outgoing transfer broke down? But until he knows how much he has (or doesn't have) to work with, it must be very difficult to pinpoint his top targets?

I think what the club can't afford to do is stubbornly attempt to hold onto some of these names (Stephens, Lee etc) only to then eventually cave in mid-August, or on deadline day by which time the summer turnaround is complete and there wont be the same quality still available. If these players are going to be leaving, let's get it out of the way and give the funds to the manager now. Particularly with Stephens, who presumably has an agreed price with Southampton, and we are clear in our valuation of him should they not chose to take up this option and other clubs come sniffing. I understand the club may need to hold out for the highest possible fee, but we risk then either rushing through transfers with out thorough deliberation, or postponing until January and struggling along with what we have and yet more loanees.

Perhaps this is what Dickov is holding out for? Perhaps we were in with a chance of signing McDonald, but an outgoing transfer broke down? But until he knows how much he has (or doesn't have) to work with, it must be very difficult to pinpoint his top targets?

If his loan has officially expired, then we can demand more money from southampton for him..

Agree completely with that, if they want to go then the sooner the better. Gives us more time to replace them

From the O.S......The Latics manager says there is no need to worry about the lack of transfer activity.

Dickov explained that he is speaking to players who are generally doing the rounds weighing up their options before making decisions.

He continued: "I would say to fans there is no need to panic as we have everything in place for the new season.

"We are prepared to wait for the right players. If they turn us down because of money then obviously they are not the right players."

He wants players who want to play for the club and not the money grabbers.......I think he's one of the shrewdest managers we've had in a long time and if we stick with him I'm confident we'll be competitive. :wink: :wink:

GK Ermm....

RB Lee

LB Black

CB Hazell

CB Tarkowski

RM Winchester/Morais

LM Taylor

CM Furman

CM Stephens/Morais

ST Reid

ST Feeney/Brooke/Bembo

Subs - McGrath, Millar,

Thats the key point for me Harry.

Continuity is so, so important. IMO ripping up & starting again season after season with 7/8/9 new signings just makes it so hard to gel the side & develop.

If all the remaining players sign up – Reuben H & Paul Black, if we somehow manage to strike gold and get big Jean-Yves to sign on, we only need 3 more in for me. A GK, a CM & a ST. And hopefully; we can afford (somehow) to make those 3 ‘quality additions’.

Thats the key point for me Harry.

Continuity is so, so important. IMO ripping up & starting again season after season with 7/8/9 new signings just makes it so hard to gel the side & develop.

If all the remaining players sign up – Reuben H & Paul Black, if we somehow manage to strike gold and get big Jean-Yves to sign on, we only need 3 more in for me. A GK, a CM & a ST. And hopefully; we can afford (somehow) to make those 3 ‘quality additions’.

Pretty much where I am at that, IF we get the two CBs to sign on, although I'd like TWO strikers, bin Feeney, loan out Bembo and Brooke to get them up to speed. AND definitely an older head in CM...

Pretty much where I am at that, IF we get the two CBs to sign on, although I'd like TWO strikers, bin Feeney, loan out Bembo and Brooke to get them up to speed. AND definitely an older head in CM...

I'd loan Brooke out but keep Bembo , his versatility could be key

Although he didn't seem much of a goal threat we played arguably our best football while Bembo was in the team last season

1 in 4.

bit better ratio than some of our other strikers......

I wouldnt loan him personally; keep at the club to keep him involved. Plenty of reserve games; and involvement on the bench and the odd cameo...ease him back in slowly then BOOM - DJ wil back to fitness & form in no time!!