Broadband

palmer1

Looking at getting broadband in the new place and was wondering if anyone can give advice

Either looking at getting it through BT when the new phone line gets fitted

Or getting through Sky in a few weeks when they sort out the TV

Anyone have an opinion on which is the best option to go for, i have hear good and bad about both

Looking at getting broadband in the new place and was wondering if anyone can give advice

Either looking at getting it through BT when the new phone line gets fitted

Or getting through Sky in a few weeks when they sort out the TV

Anyone have an opinion on which is the best option to go for, i have hear good and bad about both

Personally I have Sky , never had any issues with it at my new place,

Had constant BT problems when I lived at my parents

Whatever you do dont get TalkTalk absolutely terrible

How important is a fast connection?

If speed is important, consider BT infinity. Virgin broadband is a bit expensive when not part of a package.

O2 are also worth a look. They have been extremely reliable to date for me, think have had one short outage in the space of two years.

Avoid talk talk like the plague!!!!

Personally I have Sky , never had any issues with it at my new place,

Had constant BT problems when I lived at my parents

Whatever you do dont get TalkTalk absolutely terrible

BT were a nightmare, if anything goes wrong they're in denial, with Virgin now, has not been without its issues but it it is like :censored: off a shovel….and has got increasingly reliable after a few teething problems.

I'm with TalkTalk. been brilliant with me, never had problems, were helpful in getting it set up because i'm usless with techno techno cr@p and i even played a bit of hardball and got the installation fee knocked right down.

Edited by alex_balls

I'm with TalkTalk. been brilliant with me, never had problems, were helpful in getting it set up because i'm usless with techno techno cr@p and i even played a bit of hardball and got the installation fee knocked right down.

Talk Talk and brilliant isnt something you usually see hand in hand

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2011/06/talktalk-worst-of-big-guns-for-customer-service

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2011/04/talk-talk-worst-for-phone-and-broadband-complaints

i know, it's strange isn't it, I suppose it's the service you get shapes your opinion, it's like when 2 people go on holiday to the same place, one will love it, one will hate it, but hey, who's right, as long as your happy then that's all that matters.

I'll report back to you when something goes wrong and i can't get through to them :grin:

i know, it's strange isn't it, I suppose it's the service you get shapes your opinion, it's like when 2 people go on holiday to the same place, one will love it, one will hate it, but hey, who's right, as long as your happy then that's all that matters.

I'll report back to you when something goes wrong and i can't get through to them :grin:

Without going all tecchy on you, it all depends on the area and how far you are from your exchange.

Areas in the UK with 20mb broadband use what is called fibre to the curb technology i.e. they are fibre optic to the little BT box at the end of your street/in your area and then copper wire from there to the home. Where broadband is slower, it is all copper wire. Copper wire reduces its effectiveness with higher users and therefore genuinely gets slower the further you are away from the box as people can highjack your line.

Therefore, if you are close to the box, it is worth going with high speed providers as you will genuinely notice a difference. If you are far away from the box, towards the end of the line, it doesnt really matter who you are with as you are likely to have poor connection anyway.

Finally, BT sell "seats" on the Openzone network. These seats are prioritised. It is my understanding that Talk Talk and Plus Net buy cheaper, low priority seats. Thus if there is someone going in on a Sky or O2 seat (more expensive, higher priority) they can override your connection as you get bumped down the priority list. In that sense, you really do get what you pay for.

Without going all tecchy on you, it all depends on the area and how far you are from your exchange.

Areas in the UK with 20mb broadband use what is called fibre to the curb technology i.e. they are fibre optic to the little BT box at the end of your street/in your area and then copper wire from there to the home. Where broadband is slower, it is all copper wire. Copper wire reduces its effectiveness with higher users and therefore genuinely gets slower the further you are away from the box as people can highjack your line.

Therefore, if you are close to the box, it is worth going with high speed providers as you will genuinely notice a difference. If you are far away from the box, towards the end of the line, it doesnt really matter who you are with as you are likely to have poor connection anyway.

Finally, BT sell "seats" on the Openzone network. These seats are prioritised. It is my understanding that Talk Talk and Plus Net buy cheaper, low priority seats. Thus if there is someone going in on a Sky or O2 seat (more expensive, higher priority) they can override your connection as you get bumped down the priority list. In that sense, you really do get what you pay for.

but you did anyway :lol:

Been with Sky on their base package for years. No problems with them but now fed up of being stuck with speed of 0.5mb. Sky do a good deal on the upto 20mb package, but I think my problem must be the distance to the exchange. BT don't seem to know when their fibre optic is coming to my street, so I'm in the process of moving to Virgin on their 30mb - expensive, though now I should be able to download music and watch vids online much more easily.....happy xhamster everyone!

Edited by Yard Dog

If speed is important, consider BT infinity. Virgin broadband is a bit expensive when not part of a package.

O2 are also worth a look. They have been extremely reliable to date for me, think have had one short outage in the space of two years.

I am also with O2 and had not problems

Wven then you contact BT and ask if they can put "gain" on the laine

Depends on the area but it boosts speeds

WE canot get cable where I live

BT were a nightmare, if anything goes wrong they're in denial, with Virgin now, has not been without its issues but it it is like :censored: off a shovel….and has got increasingly reliable after a few teething problems.

Same here, BT have got the worst attitude to customer services that i've ever encountered. Any problems with your broadband (and there definitely will be) and you're looking at least a couple of days of phone calls to various departments, none of whom seem to have any communication with each other, repeating yourself over and over again.

Incidentally if you were thinking about Virginmedia then PlayerShare get £60 if you do it through the webshop link

again, im no the brightest button when it comes to techno techno techno phone BUT do you know when you 'log' into your wireless router, and then from there you can change what channel your on, isn't this a cure for the problems of this overcrowding seat issue in my bob??

again, im no the brightest button when it comes to techno techno techno phone BUT do you know when you 'log' into your wireless router, and then from there you can change what channel your on, isn't this a cure for the problems of this overcrowding seat issue in my bob??

No. The overcrowding is caused by the seat your router is using on the BT network. The channel you change is the seat which you use on your router.

No. The overcrowding is caused by the seat your router is using on the BT network. The channel you change is the seat which you use on your router.

This sounds quite interesting, do you know of any good websites that has information about this 'seating problem'?

I'm moving house soon and was trying to work out whether a cheaper option would be worth getting.

Agreed. O2 all the way. They also do landlines as well now. I had problems with bt and there c service is poor. Also I was with virgin for about a day but they cap your speed. Told them I didn't want it and sent the box back.

My mother in Law had a problem with accessing her Talk Talk email account. She rang up and left a phone number to call her back on. She didn't recieve a reply. I had the bright idea to change a different web browser as it was the link that wasn't clicking through. Hey ho, it worked.... only to find that Talk Talk had responded with a solution after all, by email. :clown:

• 3 weeks later...

Talk Talk are complete wankers. Never had a problem with the line going down or anything like that, but for all kinds of reasons I won't bore you with, the customer service is disgraceful. It's like so many products/services you can get today; you get what you pay for. I was originally with Tiscali but they were bought out by Talk Talk so I didn't have much choice in it. I am looking to change though at the moment and quite like the look of BE. They seem to be one of the better of a very sorry bunch....