Is this really how to run a club?

from e-zine

Went down to latics this morning to sort out a Student card then i went into the shop. They had boxes of the new training gear and i was told NO you can't buy one yet as they neeed to be displayed first etc etc etc.

The shop needs a over haul and also make sure they haver all stock on sale or if not move them off the shop floor until they can sell them.

Coming away all i could think of is how poorly the shop is run really.

Can anyone think of a business that treats its ever dwindling customer base like this?

as a delivery driver i see this more and more often as buisnesses cut back on staff to save on costs .have you thought that this may be the situation at the club shop ? With it being summer holiday close season maybe there isnt the staff free to inventory the newly deliverd stock and serve at the same time ? Or would you prefer to have staff stood around doing nothing at other times ? No doubt you would then be moaning that the shop was overstaffed !

from e-zine

Went down to latics this morning to sort out a Student card then i went into the shop. They had boxes of the new training gear and i was told NO you can't buy one yet as they neeed to be displayed first etc etc etc.

The shop needs a over haul and also make sure they haver all stock on sale or if not move them off the shop floor until they can sell them.

Coming away all i could think of is how poorly the shop is run really.

Can anyone think of a business that treats its ever dwindling customer base like this?

depends how long the stock was there before being put on shelf...i went in at christmas and they couldnt do enough for me,even though some boxes were not unpacked...if you say look i have drove 20 miles to come here i wont be coming back so ill take one now it usually works...

With this in mind I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight.

Seriously anyoneelse just enjoying the summertime! Is it that difficult or am I just one of those "Happy Clappers" people talk about who are single handedly ruining the club.

Its going to be another scorcher today I'm going to sit outside and top up my tan from yesterday. Might even crack open a few cans of beer

I didn't think the club did a student discount, it would be typical that I find out we do after I finish as a student.

As for the text taken from the e-zine, just seems like needless whinging to me. The club has to stock take otherwise it could cause problems so instead of crying and moaning the person involved should just get over it and man up.

Anyone know how much the student discount is?

If it's still what it was 2-5 years ago, you pay about £13 for an OAFC student card for the season and then get concessionary admission prices. Need to provide proof of full-time student status. It's not very well publicised but it exists!

If the stock's there should be sold, I don't see why the club should be losing out on income just because someone can't be arsed opening a box. The direct opposite of when me and my kids went in last October, the guy saw we had cash on the hip, the kids wanted things and he pro-actively opened up boxes of stuff that had just been delivered - water bottles, pump bags and other stuff for school and netted the club an extra £40. That was good salesmanship. Too many I have encountered over the years in the shop simply can't be arsed!! And many on here will have similar experiences.

Like closing the ticket office the day the shirt came out

Not printing shirts for people that have travelled halfway round the world

Telling people they couldn't buy a coach seat for a play-off second leg when they knew damn well the demand was there

Popping down in your lunch hour and finding the shop closed!!!

Etc, etc, etc

If the stock's been delivered, sell the :censored:er! None of this pissing about until the end of July, I mean FFS you could simply type up a spreadsheet to keep track of what you are selling and input it all later….absolutely no proactivity in the club from top to bottom off the field...

Anyhow carry on happy clappers….i'm firing up the barbecue…..

Edited by oafcprozac

If it's still what it was 2-5 years ago, you pay about £13 for an OAFC student card for the season and then get concessionary admission prices. Need to provide proof of full-time student status. It's not very well publicised but it exists!

Do they have student discount in the club shop? Like show student card and get 10% of the total price?

If the stock's there should be sold, I don't see why the club should be losing out on income just because someone can't be arsed opening a box. The direct opposite of when me and my kids went in last October, the guy saw we had cash on the hip, the kids wanted things and he pro-actively opened up boxes of stuff that had just been delivered - water bottles, pump bags and other stuff for school and netted the club an extra £40. That was good salesmanship. Too many I have encountered over the years in the shop simply can't be arsed!! And many on here will have similar experiences.

Like closing the ticket office the day the shirt came out

Not printing shirts for people that have travelled halfway round the world

Telling people they couldn't buy a coach seat for a play-off second leg when they knew damn well the demand was there

Popping down in your lunch hour and finding the shop closed!!!

Etc, etc, etc

If the stock's been delivered, sell the :censored:er! None of this pissing about until the end of July, I mean FFS you could simply type up a spreadsheet to keep track of what you are selling and input it all later….absolutely no proactivity in the club from top to bottom off the field...

Anyhow carry on happy clappers….i'm firing up the barbecue…..

totally agree

There could be any number of mitigating circumstances as the why the unpacked stock couldn't be sold.

Would Comet sell you a tv that was fresh off a lorry and still on a pallet?

No, but my local shop has sold me stuff that wasnt unpacked and on the shelves in the past. Can use examples for both sides of the argument.

No, but my local shop has sold me stuff that wasnt unpacked and on the shelves in the past. Can use examples for both sides of the argument.

of course you can..always 2 sides to any story..however constant critiscing of the club and the way it operates is getting a bit tedious now,from certain people....

might just have been that member of staff was told something and stuck to it....only doing there job...

There could be any number of mitigating circumstances as the why the unpacked stock couldn't be sold.

Would Comet sell you a tv that was fresh off a lorry and still on a pallet?

Like you say perhaps there was a legitamate reason for not being able to sell the product there and then. However, did the the salesperson use some people skills and 'come back in 30 minutes and we'll be set to sell', or take the customers number to let them know when stock is available so that he/she feels loved haha. The trouble is most shop workers are paid little over minimun wage so hardly a motivation to be pro-active. I guess it really boils down to the person dealing with your request.