Will this season prove to be one of the toughest

In all the years we've been stuck in this god forsaken league, will it prove to be one of the toughest season's to get out of?. Given the sides and budgets within it it's got to be right up there this coming season. So I reckon should Dickov finally assemble a side and that side somehow gets up it will be a top achievement. I really hope he does it because I think PD has won over most Latics fans, likewise Taggart.

This season has a higher standard of teams without doubt, but every year the standard increases. This season could go anywhere for us, we could be promoted with a new stadium on the horizon, or relegated with an uncertain future and everything inbetween.

thanks for that summary Andy Gray :lol:

In all the years we've been stuck in this god forsaken league, will it prove to be one of the toughest season's to get out of?. Given the sides and budgets within it it's got to be right up there this coming season. So I reckon should Dickov finally assemble a side and that side somehow gets up it will be a top achievement. I really hope he does it because I think PD has won over most Latics fans, likewise Taggart.

I'll be honest Lags, I think we're nailed on certs to go down. We've shipped Brill, Hazell, Stephens, Jones, Tonk, Evina, White etc… and promoted kids from the yoofs and signed more kids. We need quality and experience but don't have the money for that. I admire PD's optimism but players will not come here and play for brass buttons. JYM is the exception.

As it stands there's no goals in the team and no creativity in midfield and the defence is shockingly young, not necessarily a bad thing, but who's going to lead out of Cisak, Lee, Black, Tarky and JYM? I know there's time to get the players in but I simply do want to see another team top heavy with loanees that fails year after year, usually because after a good start the loanees start to go through the motions.

its always going to be tough,thats just how it is with our budget and fanbase....economics dictate we should...

both sheffield teams in this division now and huddersfield with pots of cash to throw at players....

however,i cant be pessimistic like a lot on here....and i think if we get 3 or 4 players in,settle down quickly and have a good start to the season i fully expect us to improve on last seasons position....id be happy with top ten and flirt with the playoffs and a cup run.cant see us going down...

I'll be honest Lags, I think we're nailed on certs to go down. We've shipped Brill, Hazell, Stephens, Jones, Tonk, Evina, White etc… and promoted kids from the yoofs and signed more kids. We need quality and experience but don't have the money for that. I admire PD's optimism but players will not come here and play for brass buttons. JYM is the exception.

As it stands there's no goals in the team and no creativity in midfield and the defence is shockingly young, not necessarily a bad thing, but who's going to lead out of Cisak, Lee, Black, Tarky and JYM? I know there's time to get the players in but I simply do want to see another team top heavy with loanees that fails year after year, usually because after a good start the loanees start to go through the motions.

Hardly a shame that these left, lets see where we are in a couple of weeks or if to be believed see the 3 supposed signing this week.

We have already replaced Brill and I cannot see any of the new signings being any worse than the invisibles of Jones and White or 7 goals in 47 Tonkara.

Complete bollocks. Were only at the start of July, why would you asses our position with this squad when we are obviously not going to be stuck with it? What sort of a fan, before transfrs have even been made, dismisses the season as guaranteed relegation, especially conbsidering its not going to happen!

:dedhrse::petesake::titanic::lol1::surrender::cry::toilet::behead::shock::hanged:

someone's found the emoticons! :lol:

I sort of agree to an extent with Prozac in that we do have an even younger squad at present than we did last year – and last year was pretty darn young. The much maligned Reuben H has gone; and he was the old head who played week-in, week-out; and it seems was the leader of the pack and filled the ‘arm round the shoulder’ role for the young lads. He’s gone now & I do worry who will fill that role from the playing side; Taylor? Feeney? Hmmmm.

Where I differ from prozacs’ POV is that I think we still have enough; just, to finish above the relegation places as things stand now. Regardless of additions (and there will be those obviously) the squad is still young; but is a year older and has last season’s experiences; both good & bad to draw on this season. I think with Taylor & Morais we have enough creativity to feed a strike-force of <whoever!>, added to Lee & Black overlapping as they can do. Furman will thrive in the captain roll on the pitch IMO – and i hope he enjoys a similar season to the one he had last time. We have some young talent; who are all really pushing to be included on merit in the starting XI, and I only see Tarky, Winchester & Bembo getting better & better as the season goes on. Matt Smith is a gamble; but he could come off for us & if he does; then its been a belting bit of business.........Cisak looks to be a shrewd bit of business.

I’d say there are plenty of positives to look forward to; but i guess it depends on your viewpoint.

3 more singing down the spine of the side and we’re laughing IMO. There will be easily 4 worse sides than us; and whilst i’d say playoffs / promotion is rather far-fetched...outright relegation is too IMO.

Roll on Aug 6th I say!

:chubb:

I don't agree I think that the clubs who have come down all have to drastically reduce their wage budget (Sheff U it's 50%) and that of the clubs coming up only Chesterfield actually look like a threat to the top half, I'll still be suprised if we challenge for the top 6 but I think that there will be plenty of sides this season who will be on a par with one another with us included

I don't agree I think that the clubs who have come down all have to drastically reduce their wage budget (Sheff U it's 50%) and that of the clubs coming up only Chesterfield actually look like a threat to the top half, I'll still be suprised if we challenge for the top 6 but I think that there will be plenty of sides this season who will be on a par with one another with us included

I think even chesterfield will struggle unless they replace the players they have lost. davies and smalley both gone and Lester getting on. lost a lot of goals from their side

I think even chesterfield will struggle unless they replace the players they have lost. davies and smalley both gone and Lester getting on. lost a lot of goals from their side

my argument that they won't is that they've got a bit more money behind them

my argument that they won't is that they've got a bit more money behind them

They've not been able to spend it yet though. losing out on their targets. mised smalley and donaldson. shez wasn't really shrewd in the transfer market while he was here was he? His most successful season came whilst using moore's squad mainly.

Think it will be a rtight uphill struggle all season me thinks. However can see it being one of those leagues where it be seven teams pushing for promotion and everyone else being in the chasing pack. Its good having all these youngaters coming thru. But I still feel we need a little bit more experince in the squad. Howecer its still July and early days.

I am taking the attitude of 'wait and see who we bring in'. Whilst our budget might no be the best, I am going to stick my neck out and say there will be at least four teams who will be worse than us, such as Stevenage, Bury, Yeovil, Rochdale, Walsall, Wycombe.

My gut instinct is saying it ill be a hell of a struggle, and large parts of the season will be spent either in or one position above the bottom four, but I think we will have just enough to get out of it, if we can make one or two nifty signings.

Think it will be a rtight uphill struggle all season me thinks. However can see it being one of those leagues where it be seven teams pushing for promotion and everyone else being in the chasing pack. Its good having all these youngaters coming thru. But I still feel we need a little bit more experince in the squad. Howecer its still July and early days.

but of those 7 teams at least one will not expect to be there