LATICS STAYInG AT BP

dont forget they want a hotel and conferencing facilities...this pic although pretty basic doesnt show them...

need a good website for building stuff like this any suggestions???

I use google sketchup, and have used it for a few years.. My BP model is on google earth :)

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sketchup 8 is basic but free and can quickly build stuff. Might be interseting to see what people come up with.Then render it in Maya...

EDIT before someone gets all techy ITS FREE SO EVERYONE CAN HAVE A GO. The software I use day to day is £3200 so a bit restrictive.

As Leeslover says we can expect a revised version of the last lot but still a bit of fun sharing ideas.

Really good program sketchup, had AUTOcad and didn't rate it at all in comparrison, not easy to use..

Really good program sketchup, had AUTOcad and didn't rate it at all in comparrison, not easy to use..

Revit Architecture is much better for this sort of thing but anyway on to my real point.

I notice people are mentioning ways of saving on electiricity and energy costs etc with solar panels and even wind turbines suggested. Solar panels to start with are very expensive and fairly inefficient and it would be a long time before you saw a return on them. they may contribute towards making the project carbon neutral which is now a requirement but for us where money will be tight we should be looking at other solutions before solar panels are even mentioned. Wind turbines are also a bit redundant here. Fair enough out on the hills they can eb productive but in built up or residential areas they're expensive and more importantly HIGHLY unlikely to get planning permission because they are really noisey and a bit of an eyesore!

In terms of reducingt bills we should be looking at the cheapest options first before we get all fancy dan. I'm talking boring things that are much more cost effective like using energy efficient bulbs wherever possible. Going a bit further and possibly giving the new stand some character you could maybe try an extensive green roof and harvest grey water from it. Other things to consider would be thermal massing, natural ventilation etc. Beyond that you're spending money and it's really got to be investigated as to whether it's viable.

Re: the design, I might be on my own here, but I quite like the look of the main stand (looking from the pitch). I think it would be nice to keep some character and 2 tiered stadiums definitely look more apealing to me. The problem with the main stand is it's ugly, it's falling apart and it doesn't span the length of the pitch. For me a replacement of the main stand should be of a similar design, maintaining a paddock that offers cheaper seats and an upper tier much like you have to the left of you at Loftus Road when you're in the School End(?)

Loftus-Road_1192264.jpg

I think the idea to turn the pitch round creates problems rather than solving them and ignores what we have already. It's unlikely we need more space on the main stand side, the main stand capacity would be quite reasonable if it was longer. The Chaddy End isn't a bad stand really and could be easily renovated with a new roof and taking advantage of some of the space behind it. The Rochdale Road End needs very little work. Rotating the pitch means it's likely teh Chaddy would have to be completely demolished and a new stand built closer to the new pitch position, the Rochdale Road End would need extending at increased cost to keeping the pitch where it is. The mainstand would still need replacing as well. It's just making more work and spending more money for no real benefit imo. Also, how long would we end up groundsharing if this was attempted or at least playing at BP with one stand miles form the pitch and another being built, it's hard to see how the project would be carried out without BP looking (considerably more) ridiculous for a quite a while.

Edited by LeylandLatic

Re: the design, I might be on my own here, but I quite like the look of the main stand (looking from the pitch). I think it would be nice to keep some character and 2 tiered stadiums definitely look more apealing to me. The problem with the main stand is it's ugly, it's falling apart and it doesn't span the length of the pitch. For me a replacement of the main stand should be of a similar design, maintaining a paddock that offers cheaper seats and an upper tier much like you have to the left of you at Loftus Road when you're in the School End(?)

Loftus-Road_1192264.jpg

I think the idea to turn the pitch round creates problems rather than solving them and ignores what we have already. It's unlikely we need more space on the main stand side, the main stand capacity would be quite reasonable if it was longer. The Chaddy End isn't a bad stand really and could be easily renovated with a new roof and taking advantage of some of the space behind it. The Rochdale Road End needs very little work. Rotating the pitch means it's likely teh Chaddy would have to be completely demolished and a new stand built closer to the new pitch position, the Rochdale Road End would need extending at increased cost to keeping the pitch where it is. The mainstand would still need replacing as well. It's just making more work and spending more money for no real benefit imo. Also, how long would we end up groundsharing if this was attempted or at least playing at BP with one stand miles form the pitch and another being built, it's hard to see how the project would be carried out without BP looking (considerably more) ridiculous for a quite a while.

Agree with that last paragraph.

With regards to the main stand, QPR would be a club to look to in order to find out how to build a stand with restricted space.

My own preference would be to have a ground like Millwall's. They were one of the first clubs to move to a new ground in the modern era and in my opinion have done the best job. The ground has character, generates one hell of an atmosphere and offers a great view wherever you're sitting.

Think your wrong re solar... You can only ever work with the tech of the time but Eon are offering home owners panels for £99 with payback. So this must be a goer.

Energy saving bulbs are a requirement not an option. Turbines I dont mean the towers THESE...Groundsource roof turbines.

your right there are plenty of offers on for solar energy at the moment...and im sure if your talking large scale like latics would be then a deal would be made im sure...and they dont even need sun to produce energy,just daylight...

harvesting rainwater is all well and good,providing you have a good filtration system in place there is no reason why this cant be done and used for the toilets and even the pitch sprinklers....

will have a look at those programes mentioned and have a play about...cheers

My PC at work definitely had it as yellow!

Regardless, the two-sided point stands. :wink:

Either, 2 people have confirmed your PC is knackered, they checked remotely, happy days or

oafcprozac

Posted Today, 07:40 PM

My MacBook has it as Blue and Yellow, but still a cracking mock-up of what could be...

You have a Mac.

:wink:

Think your wrong re solar... You can only ever work with the tech of the time but Eon are offering home owners panels for £99 with payback. So this must be a goer.

Energy saving bulbs are a requirement not an option. Turbines I dont mean the towers THESE...Groundsource roof turbines.

How many major projects have featured solar panels though? As a percentage I would say it's very few maybe indicating they aren't a viable solution right now. My opinion is that most designers find that following good design principles is a more efficient way to reduce costs first and foremost making more expensive options less desireable. it's not to say they don't work but often there are better ways to do it. Owning one for your house is alot different to having a huge installation of them on the roof of a stadium or 'cladding' a wall in terms of maintenance of the panels and the structure itself ie. how does it affect basic maintenance inspections, how would they disrupt any repair work etc, all things you would consider in design.

Those 2 links you gave, would the geothermal energy be worthwhile in Oldham? i don't know enough about how efficient they are so i don't know. The wind turbines looks more promising to me but even on that link there seems to be questions about their visual appeal but yeah point taken that they could potentially be of use depending on scale.

Either, 2 people have confirmed your PC is knackered, they checked remotely, happy days or

oafcprozac

Posted Today, 07:40 PM

My MacBook has it as Blue and Yellow, but still a cracking mock-up of what could be...

You have a Mac.

:wink:

Nope was an HP. Shows up as orange on a Mac for me!

This is turning into a thrilling thread.

Some more images with the Blue and Orange seats. :wink:

Whole Stadium :

t4z76u.jpg

Main Stand :

svoz6q.jpg

Two Stands :

2ptz7lw.jpg

Name and Badge :

308a25h.jpg

Whole Stadium 2 :

20rk1td.jpg

Thanks for all the good reviews, would be brilliant if this design was to some what come off, or be used as a base, but i won't hold my breath, i'm presuming the old plans will be used anyway!

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

Whole Stadium :

t4z76u.jpg

Main Stand :

svoz6q.jpg

Two Stands :

2ptz7lw.jpg

Name and Badge :

308a25h.jpg

Whole Stadium 2 :

20rk1td.jpg

Thanks for all the good reviews, would be brilliant if this design was to some what come off, or be used as a base, but i won't hold my breath, i'm presuming the old plans will be used anyway!

Good designs.. However hopefully the club will have some two tier stands with them close to pitch to create better atmosphere etc

Whole Stadium :

t4z76u.jpg

Main Stand :

svoz6q.jpg

Two Stands :

2ptz7lw.jpg

Name and Badge :

308a25h.jpg

Whole Stadium 2 :

20rk1td.jpg

i like the man stand idea....but maybe a 2 tier stand split with the conferencing suites,the options could be endless there because there is a lot of land to play with...

also like the one bp1960 posted in a restricted area,however i think our current main stand area is deeper than that one,so maybe something different could be done,in time..

Good designs.. However hopefully the club will have some two tier stands with them close to pitch to create better atmosphere etc

Think the model for most small stadiums is three single tier identikit stands with a main stand that stands out. I think it would probably be easier in all honesty to keep it single tier. We can always add extra tiers to the chaddy or RRE (or maybe eve the main stand if the pitch is moved that 70 yards)to create extra space.

Not seen this posted so apologies if it has but there's a two minute interview with Simon on here;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14325222.stm

Interesting that he says some of the money will be going to Blitz and Gazal, and that a stand that would generate income would cost around £7 Million.

Edited by DmightyLatics

Think the model for most small stadiums is three single tier identikit stands with a main stand that stands out. I think it would probably be easier in all honesty to keep it single tier. We can always add extra tiers to the chaddy or RRE (or maybe eve the main stand if the pitch is moved that 70 yards)to create extra space.

i honestly cant see them moving the pitch....far too much work to do that for say next seaon,plus the cost as well...would need to ground share,and develop chaddy end and rre at same time..wont happen...

Not seen this posted so apologies if it has but there's a two minute interview with Simon on here;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14325222.stm

Interesting that he says some of the money will be going to Blitz and Gazal, and that a stand that would generate income would cost around £7 Million.

if the council are providing funding,how can he give it away,thought it was for the new stand????

I hope a bit of imagination goes into the design of the stadium.

4 stands with different attributes would be far better than just another Shrewsbury/Northampton Town set-up.

the council have ''acquired'' the Lancaster Club site, does that mean they have bought it?

if so, money will then go to Blitz and Gazal, which is why the figures are wrong which is what Corney said in that interview

the council have ''acquired'' the Lancaster Club site, does that mean they have bought it?

if so, money will then go to Blitz and Gazal, which is why the figures are wrong which is what Corney said in that interview

figures have to be wrong...im sure corney has said the lancaster club was bought for 3.5 mill....no way the council would pay 5.75 for it...