• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post and I've been thinking this for years, it's especially annoying when these sort of players get slated when the problem clearly lies elsewhere. Reid was one of many players who had a poor game but what dissapointed me was that he doesn't appear to of lost any of the weight he's supposidly lost in pre-season as for his gameplay I get the feeling that Reid wanted the ball to his feet, which wasn't going to happen with our midfield so atm a partnership of Smith and Parker has potential to work with the current system (but note the word potential)

That's the thing. We're a poor 3rd div outfit. The ball is rarely going to go to feet. So he needs to pull his god damn finger out and work for the ball. He also needs to read the game and anticipate the flick on's and knock downs that he WILL get from a 6'7" strike partner. He did none of these things yesterday. These things are basics that he should be doing already. I'd love to be proved wrong, but I'm willing to bet I won't be.......

That's the thing. We're a poor 3rd div outfit. The ball is rarely going to go to feet. So he needs to pull his god damn finger out and work for the ball. He also needs to read the game and anticipate the flick on's and knock downs that he WILL get from a 6'7" strike partner. He did none of these things yesterday. These things are basics that he should be doing already. I'd love to be proved wrong, but I'm willing to bet I won't be.......

disagree, in this day and age teams are our level should be playing on the ground, if we resort to 40 yard punts to the forwards then we're going to become predictable and easy to play against

If our players can't play the ball into the strikers feet maybe they shouldn't be professional footballers.

What kind of striker is reid supposed to be?

He's not an in your face kind of striker as centre halfs constantly have the beating of him

He's not particularly quick.

He's not really creating chances for others

His goalscoring record is poor if hes a fox in the box 2 in 20+

Want to be wrong but I dont think hes the answer.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Why isn't it? It doesn't take a genius to pass it along the floor.. If any our players can't play it on the floor to his feet, then i don't think they should be professional footballers..

Reid isn't gash but he needs to work harder for the team and stop sulking when he's brought off. He did the same when he came off against MK Dons last game of last season.

Please explain what you have seen for you to think he isn't crap.

He was shocking yesterday, poor in pre season, and much the same last season. In fact, he was that bad we released him.

Please explain what you have seen for you to think he isn't crap.

He was shocking yesterday, poor in pre season, and much the same last season. In fact, he was that bad we released him.

It depends how you define a crap Footballer, in my eyes he's got the potential to be a good Footballer, but he's yet to apply it for us yet (I think he needs to get into shape first and foremost). I always thought Killen was a good player he certainly had the ability but he was never bloody fit and cost a lot of money but I know in other peoples eyes it made him a crap player. It's just one of those things I guess

Edited by Tommy_Fent

I'm afraid I can't see this potential that Reid is supposed to have. He looks compeltely disinterested in playing for us, and offers nothing. We need a propper striker signed ASAP.

I know it's only Fleetwood Town but his movement off the ball is quicker and more effective than it has ever been for us

plus I don't think West Brom would of paid £500k if they thought that he didn't have potential, but as has been said applying it is a completely different matter

Looked same as last season to me - too fat and uninterested!

I never quite understand this point of view - he certainly did look interested and his show of petulance when he was substituted showed he cared.

He just didn't play very well yesterday... :shock:

I know it's only Fleetwood Town but his movement off the ball is quicker and more effective than it has ever been for us

plus I don't think West Brom would of paid £500k if they thought that he didn't have potential, but as has been said applying it is a completely different matter

But how much leaner and trimmer does he look in that video? He is a natural big lad; you can see that But; he does appear to be carrying a lot more timber now than he did early last season for Walsall.....and that's a worry isn't it?

He tries plenty of things in a game that don't quite come off for him - if they did I think people would view him differently....the little flicks and links etc. For me; he's a couple of decent games and a coule of goals away from finding some form & confidence; and if he does that - we'll have a 10+ striker on our hands. His Notts County finish should speak volumes for what he is clearly capable of producing........

BUT - once again; once some of our fans make their minds up on a player; that's it - so it looks like Reuben is this season boo-boy; now the other Reuben has left us........

But how much leaner and trimmer does he look in that video? He is a natural big lad; you can see that But; he does appear to be carrying a lot more timber now than he did early last season for Walsall.....and that's a worry isn't it?

He tries plenty of things in a game that don't quite come off for him - if they did I think people would view him differently....the little flicks and links etc. For me; he's a couple of decent games and a coule of goals away from finding some form & confidence; and if he does that - we'll have a 10+ striker on our hands. His Notts County finish should speak volumes for what he is clearly capable of producing........

BUT - once again; once some of our fans make their minds up on a player; that's it - so it looks like Reuben is this season boo-boy; now the other Reuben has left us........

Perhaps it more muscle?

and thats what worries me, he's out of shape whilst with us and what happens next? He fails to perform, until he gets transfered then he'll go to another club in a relativly similar position to us and become a quality player and then ends up playing at a higher level

I know you are not aiming that at anyone in particular and I am certainly not taking it personally although I am someone who has and is still criticising him.

I will certainly not be a boo boy and dont agree at criticisng Latics players when wearing the shirt.

However you say yourself that he is carrying too much timber and for someone who is apparently on last chance saloon to do the job he is priveleged to be doing he really did need to shed a couple of stone over the summer. He isn't mobile enough and wont be while he is too heavy.

I do think he has some talent but what concerns me is his application (he doesn't seem like he wants it enough for me).

And by the way 10 goals a season from him will not be enough, he is playing next to a very hungry target man who (in fairness its the first time I have seen Smith and was impressed) wins every header.

He is paid to score goals and thats why WBA payed big money for him. If he wanted to be a decent striker he would have sorted himself out over the summer, I dont think he does and thats what worries me.

He joined the club at the end of January.

Didn't really deliver in the months that followed, did he?

Yesterday he didn't look sharp, didn't look like he wanted the ball if there was a defender nearby and he certainly wasn't interested in jumping. Worst performance out of 22 on the pitch I'd say.

So at what point are fans meant to get fed up? How long should they be patient with him while he "settles" at the club?

Nothing worse than having a bit of talent and not utilising it.

Edited by opinions4u

He joined the club at the end of January.

Didn't really deliver last season, did he?

Yesterday he didn't look sharp, didn't look like he wanted the ball if there was a defender nearby and he certainly wasn't interested in jumping. Worst performance out of 22 on the pitch I'd say.

So at what point are fans meant to get fed up?

Nothing worse than having a bit of talent and not utilising it.

Absolutely spot on!

Mvoto was a fault for both goals, and yet because reid didn't run around like a lunatic he is the worst player on the field. Is that because we have already decided we like mvoto and that reid is crap?

To be fair to Reid, he was never going to look that good yesterday because of the type of game it was, close hard-fought with not many chances created. I did notice in the first half how much he harried and pressed their defenders all over the pitch - not the sign of someone who can't be arsed. In the second half he looked knackered and was rightly subbed. A true measure will be how he performs when we're all over a team such as the first half of Exeter at home last season, will he get into the right positions then and make use of the extra space around him? I hope so and think he will. I can't help think he would do better in a 4-3-3 but Dickov doesn't seem to like this formation much.

Mvoto was a fault for both goals, and yet because reid didn't run around like a lunatic he is the worst player on the field. Is that because we have already decided we like mvoto and that reid is crap?

WTF has that got to do with anything? People are commenting on Reid's performance. Yes Mvoto was at fault for the goals and actually had one of the worst halfs since he joined us but this is about Reid.

If you dont like him being criticised, dont read it.

Its a football forum, people are entitled to their opinion.

I haven't seen a game pre-season or yesterday. However, if Reid is overweight and unfit what are the club/manager doing to address the issue? Or is he in fact just a big lad suffering from a lack of goals and confidence!? I like I said I don't know I haven't been to any games!?

I was pointing out that it was said that he was the worst player on the pitch, which clearly he wasnt

M'Voto played well for 80 minutes.

Reid didn't contribute much at all.

So which players on that pitch had a poorer game?

but people are already jumping on a we hate reid bandwagon after 1 game

I think he put in several similar performances last season. It's not a one game thing.

I can see that there's a talented footballer there somewhere. But it's worthless if he doesn't allow it to get out every once in a while.

It's up to the player to get the crowd behind him. Not the other way round.

(And I'm not one for giving players a tough time, I totally believe in encouragement as the best thing a crowd can do to lift an individual and a team. But can anybody name a player who had a poorer game yesterday than Reid did?)

Edited by opinions4u

M'Voto played well for 80 minutes.

Reid didn't contribute much at all.

So which players on that pitch had a poorer game?

mvoto. as a centre half if you are at fault for two goals that's horrendous, you can play awesome for 85minutes but he fact remains you are there to stop goals and you didnt.

I see you point about last season but i thought he looked good in the friendlies so i am trying in my own mind to wipe the slate clean. i think we need to give him a few games before we decide