Just watched the highlights on LW.....Mvoto was totally at fault for both goals. Ball watching at best for the first goal where he never made any sort of attempt to get to the cross first and a lethargic couldn't be arsed attitude on the halfway line where he should have taken man and ball into touch. If that had been Diamond in those two incidents it would have still been nil nil!!

I hope it's not a case of I'm not on loan now and I've got a contract......don't need to put as much effort in now!!

On the second both centre halfs got caught way out of position and Diamond gave the ball away with a mugs header - loads of space in behind them then.

(Reserving the right to change this view when I've actually seen the replay)

Edited by opinions4u

On the second both centre halfs got caught way out of position and Diamond gave the ball away with a mugs header.

Got a bee in your bonnet about that haven't you?

I see it differently. I want my CB's going for headers like that. I want them to dominate, to make life as difficult as possible for the opposition players. Diamond was doing exactly that with the header; he just didnt quite nail it. It's really pushing it IMO to lay the blame for the 2nd goal on a mistimed header that was a full 3 phases further up the play than the goal.

Now - as for big Jean; we'll - he was undoubtedly one of the "3 or 4" players who Dickov mentioned after the game; in terms of their heads going after Sheffield scored the 1st goal. He had a truly shocking 45 mins of football second half; and it was he who was at fault for the 2nd, as there is no way he should have a.) let Porter squeeze the pass to Quinn and b.) let Quinn get away to put the ball in.

He almost cost us 2 more goals with his back-pass when Cisak was already coming to clear and also when he had his pocket picket by Cresswell after he dallied on the ball.

Now - I just hope it was a one-off and he's got it out of his system*; as that was really poor to watch.

.* he did have a slow start last year IIRC; only getting going after a good 6+ games. After that he was rock solid; but I hope he hits the ground faster this season; as if he has too many more performances like the 45 mins he had on Sat; then Matty Carr may well be getting some game time.......

Mvoto is still young - think it's easy to forget looking at his size....he's still learning the game, and he'll make mistakes.

I think his issue is if he makes one mistake (and lets be fair - we all make them!) it affects him for the next 5 or 10 minutes and if he makes another, the cycle goes on. First half he was excellent and i fully expect him to step up again on tuesday and be solid. It's just hoping over time he grows to learn not to fall apart after a mistake but get his head back on. Diamond was trying to say that to him but he was aimlessly ambling around at the time!!

Ive seen the goals a few times again but not in detail.

First one we are unlucky because it was not a corner was it? However, then it's a free header which needs addressing.

Second one, where was k. lee?! Mvoto had to come accross and got beat by a quick, forward thinking player. Then everyone is out of position.

He's young and learning. He did have a ten minute spell of madness but i thought he recovered towards the end of the game.

The first half Cresswell and Porter - both big strikers with lots of goals and experience - didn't have a sniff really. Diamond and Mvoto were excellent. Lee and Black were coping ok with difficult wingers and Cisak looked to dominate his area.

Second half Movoto had a 'mare for 20 minutes. Doesn't make him a bad player , and the defence doesn't become bad either.

I'm much more confident in the defence than last season and the longer they play together the better as a unit they'll become.

Yep. 22 years old - and making mistakes that you'd expect 17 year old professionals to have eradicated from their game, never mind someone with 5 years more experience.

Learn from it Jean - quickly. We can't afford to carry daydreamers.

Didn't Mvoto start slow last season before becoming one of the best performers?

Yep, and did exactly the same when on loan at southend! Seems to be one of them players who starts slow and gets better and better the more he plays!

Regardless of the origins, I was disappointed with an ageing Cresswell being allowed to finish the move. That said, if I was a Blade I'd have been impressed. Lund was chasing him a good 40 yards and was so far short that Furman came and took over the chase. Fast became one of those slow-motion inevitable goals from where I was sat.... :ohno:

Edited by Stitch_KTF