Hillsborough E-Petition

A group of Liverpool fans are doing a sponsored walk from Hillsborough to Anfield on December 14th to raise money for the Hillsborough Family Support Group and the Hillsborough Justice Campaign, Boundary Park's one of the grounds on their route.

Its all blurred on my screen. When do they pass BP?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Underdog here. Your right about being blurred but it looks like its planned to hit BP between

19.54 - 21.43

On a cold night in December, hope its not snowing for them. Its my xmas night out but its a cause close to my heart so I might venture down to BP instead to support them

I more or less on that fateful day, was doing the same as Opinions4U, staring at a tv shop at the top of George st looking at the pictures and the telex comments at the bottom of the screen saying fan trouble.

Fan trouble my arse, I knew that stood there a few days before my18th birthday it was not fan trouble, I ducked out of going to BP that day we were at home and went into Manny to buy my 18th dress in the Arndale for my bash the weekend after. I new nothing of the events, no mobiles then, until I got off a the train station in Oldham. Walked up George st before pedestrianiasation and stood at the TV shop at the entrance to St peters precinct as it was then ( to the young ones back of Debs, across the road for the police station/chambers area), staring at the horror of it all

I'd witness hooliganism, been one of many herded as an away fan into pens like that when latics played away after being stood on by police horses, I've ran up sheepfoot lane before the police let the away fans out from places like Leeds and yes the pens in the RRE as it was then make me cringe thinking about it

If Im not snowed in being the walk is in Dec then I'm going to try my damn hardest to be there, stood aoutside BP in my thermal latics gear cheering them on

Edited by tangerinedreams

The problem with this whole question of justice is that we are in danger of forgetting that football was a very different game in 89. Fans and the police had probably been too well acquainted too many times for the enormity of what was actually happening to sink in.

Without wanting to defend changing of statements.and such I struggle to pin all of the blame on police and stewarding, and I do not think that there is a fat-cat police chieftain stroking a white cat laughing at the misery this caused.

Put it to bed, because the only people who will be convicted will be retired police officers haunted by what went on who had been doing a tough job policing football and grew cold to the idea that the fans were seriously struggling

A copper cocked up. People died. That's not good, but it's not a deliberate act.

What happened in the aftermath cannot be allowed to be left alone. There is much more at stake than the need for "justice" for the families of the 96.

For all it's flaws, our democracy is still better than anything else I see on the planet. Ignoring the truth in this matter totally undermines it.

A copper cocked up. People died. That's not good, but it's not a deliberate act.

What happened in the aftermath cannot be allowed to be left alone. There is much more at stake than the need for "justice" for the families of the 96.

For all it's flaws, our democracy is still better than anything else I see on the planet. Ignoring the truth in this matter totally undermines it.

Exactly- my Mum often deals with cases where those in the medical profession have made a mistake. The ones who really get it in the neck are those that then lie to cover it up.

Unfortunately there will be some coppers and others who were pressurised into doing something wrong by their superiors. Whilst I fully sympathise with the difficulties the lower ranked coppers had- the "I was only following orders" excuse was used by others in history it didn't work then and it shouldn't work now.

Senior officers in a conspiracy to pervert the course of justice? Drag them out of their retirement cottages, stop their pensions and throw them in jail for a life sentence.

Two hundred of the junior officers at Hillsborough that day are still serving, and some of them may now be the senior officers dealing with the Bramall Lane ballboy case.

Life really isn't fair sometimes. Anne Williams, who's spent the past 2 decades fighting to get the inquest into her son Kevin's death re-opened (and doing the investigative work that the original inquest should have done, tracking down witnesses and gathering evidence that he was alive well after 3.15pm, a job that should never have been left to a grieving mother to do herself), has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Just when there was a bit of light appearing at the end of the tunnel.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/anne-williams-hillsborough-campaigner-vows-1402153

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Home Secretary has announced a new police inquiry to re-examine what happened in April 1989 at Hillsborough. It’s to be led by the former Durham Chief Constable, Jon Stoddart, and will focus specifically on the 96 deaths of Liverpool fans, “to see a swift and thorough response to the findings of the Hillsborough Panel”.

Mr Stoddart will also work closely with the previously announced Independent Police Complaints Commission investigation into police conduct in the aftermath of the disaster. He said: "I am aware of the great significance and personal responsibility which comes with leading this criminal investigation. My role is to ensure that we determine exactly what happened in the lead-up to and on the day of the disaster and establish where any culpability lies."

The High Court has quashed the original ‘accidental death’ inquest verdicts on the 96 Liverpool fans. The Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge and two other judges ordered fresh inquests.

The wheels of justice are beginning to gather momentum towards the families’ goal of obtaining death certificates stating an appropriate cause of death.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

VERY interesting evidence coming out of the new inquests. Match police commander David Duckenfield has admitted lying about how the gate came to be opened and that his mistakes caused the disaster. If you're on twitter @alextomo, @david_conn and @EleanorBarlow are all providing excellent coverage.

I think of my Grandad, was an honest copper who could only get as far as Sergeant because he couldn't become a Freemason, then I hear of this bastard getting his Golden Apron a year after presiding over all of this, and I really do wish him the very worst in his remaining years.

Edited by leeslover

I think of my Grandad, was an honest copper who could only get as far as Sergeant because he couldn't become a Freemason, then I hear of this bastard getting his Golden Apron a year after presiding over all of this, and I really do wish him the very worst in his remaining years.

I'm still bewildered how "copper :censored:ed up" was pretty much obvious to anybody who gave it any thought, confirmed by the Taylor Report yet the saga still goes on.