And you think our fans are walking away

God, that place looked deserted. Their home gate must have been under 2,900 or so (I'm guessing there was close to 150 of us there, but could be wrong). They had under 4,000 there for their last home game a fortnight ago.

I'm pretty sure they had bigger gates against us in the last couple of seasons. They've only really got Ipswich & Norwich within striking distance and they're not exactly on the doorstep. Maybe we're not that badly supported after all, considering how close we are to the big boys.

Just a thought, like.

Colchester fan here. It's a combination of things, the first two seasons at the new ground were pretty disastrous, we did well league placing wise under boothroyd but that doesn't tell the whole story, the football was rank and lots of people drifted away. An awful lot of mistakes were made when we moved, as Oldham fans will know well, our stewards were absolute nazis (i got thrown out for asking to leave a game!) and we made the mistake of going hell for leather for the corporate fans while treating the core support like criminals. The prices were also originally set at minimum 26 quid an adult ticket which barely helped to ingratiate people to the club.

The ground isn't really isolated but it just feels so in the middle of nowhere, when the ground was planned it was intended to be part of a new town development with a new road into the town centre, pubs, schools, shops and houses. The recession killed that and the ground which was supposed to be part of the community ended up being situated in a wasteland (although this will eventually be resolved)

There is also an extent to which we are returning to our natural level of support, we attracted extra fans during our promotion/championship seasons but these have gradually faded away and it's back to the core 3k we always had. We have always lived in Ipswich's shadow, just it is more noticeable now as our fans rattle around in a relatively big new stadium rather than the tiny layer road.

As for yesterday, your team didn't look like they ever felt the could win it. Clarke in particular has the turning circle of an oil tanker. To be honest though, I went through your squad and it's is clear Dickov has a comparatively tiny budget to work with. Experience and proven quality costs money and it clearly isn't available. Your squad reminds me of a northern version of Yeovil, lots of waifs and strays, so imo it will be a real achievement if Dickov can steer you to mid table. We used to have a similar look pre wealthy chairman and our goal was always 52 points. I wouldn't be too disappointed, consistency costs money.

Colchester fan here. It's a combination of things, the first two seasons at the new ground were pretty disastrous, we did well league placing wise under boothroyd but that doesn't tell the whole story, the football was rank and lots of people drifted away. An awful lot of mistakes were made when we moved, as Oldham fans will know well, our stewards were absolute nazis (i got thrown out for asking to leave a game!) and we made the mistake of going hell for leather for the corporate fans while treating the core support like criminals. The prices were also originally set at minimum 26 quid an adult ticket which barely helped to ingratiate people to the club.

The ground isn't really isolated but it just feels so in the middle of nowhere, when the ground was planned it was intended to be part of a new town development with a new road into the town centre, pubs, schools, shops and houses. The recession killed that and the ground which was supposed to be part of the community ended up being situated in a wasteland (although this will eventually be resolved)

There is also an extent to which we are returning to our natural level of support, we attracted extra fans during our promotion/championship seasons but these have gradually faded away and it's back to the core 3k we always had. We have always lived in Ipswich's shadow, just it is more noticeable now as our fans rattle around in a relatively big new stadium rather than the tiny layer road.

As for yesterday, your team didn't look like they ever felt the could win it. Clarke in particular has the turning circle of an oil tanker. To be honest though, I went through your squad and it's is clear Dickov has a comparatively tiny budget to work with. Experience and proven quality costs money and it clearly isn't available. Your squad reminds me of a northern version of Yeovil, lots of waifs and strays, so imo it will be a real achievement if Dickov can steer you to mid table. We used to have a similar look pre wealthy chairman and our goal was always 52 points. I wouldn't be too disappointed, consistency costs money.

Good post. I always like reading the thoughts of articulate and reasonable opposition fans. Cheers.

Good, well constructed, thought out post,mate. Thanks.

I think that point in particular is worth emphasising after yesterdays result, and some of the reactions on here afterwards. Really good post, nice one.

Perhaps Failsworth would have had the same outcome for Latics.

Location is everything.

Their Ground is pretty much in the middle of nowhere though. I'm pretty sure if you buy a ticket in advance to the game, you get free busfare included.

Edit: Didn't get down to the bit where the Colchester fan explained it all.

Edited by SholverBlue

Sound post.

Not sure I agree with the Northern Yeovil - more like a Northern Walsall or Leyton Orient - scary huh? :blink:

Its a shame to see so many football league clubs struggling to fill their grounds, many say the football on display isn't good enough but even when we were flying high last season we hardley reached 7,000. Attendances should go up over time if you take the simplistic view that every die-hard will bring their kids and make them die-hard, all clubs need to find a way of bringing families to games. The £50 season ticket with Boundary Blues is a good idea but the parent is still paying over £300, Oldham and in fact every lower league side needs to investigate the option of family tickets. There seem to be so few children coming to games country wide, and this can only be a bad thing. The lure of the Premier League seems to be too much for many kids to aviod and has left with smaller sides with a dwindling child fanbase, the attraction of live football has died off in some youngsters and if this trend continues football league will fold and merge.

Its a shame to see so many football league clubs struggling to fill their grounds, many say the football on display isn't good enough but even when we were flying high last season we hardley reached 7,000. Attendances should go up over time if you take the simplistic view that every die-hard will bring their kids and make them die-hard, all clubs need to find a way of bringing families to games. The £50 season ticket with Boundary Blues is a good idea but the parent is still paying over £300, Oldham and in fact every lower league side needs to investigate the option of family tickets. There seem to be so few children coming to games country wide, and this can only be a bad thing. The lure of the Premier League seems to be too much for many kids to aviod and has left with smaller sides with a dwindling child fanbase, the attraction of live football has died off in some youngsters and if this trend continues football league will fold and merge.

There are many issues affecting FL clubs but little appears to be done to correct it.

The PL clubs are getting more and more money from various streams and can afford to limit gate prices. It's cheaper to get into Bolton or Blackburn than Oldham .

The cost of supporting a team like Latics is increasingly hurting the family pocket and there are better things to spend the money on to be entertained.

Also there is absolutley no family facilities or entertainment on match days and kids wont go becauase besides the match they are bored ( and sometimes during the match !!!)

Now after 40 years even i am now just turning up at 2.50 and most times glad when i am on my way home.

I feel as though i am going out of some form of robotic duty ?

Even the prospect of a cup run doesn't offer much financial hope to clubs these days unless they are lucky enough to draw United away.

The league cup (or whatever it's called these days) is a waste of time as most top clubs use it to give their reserves a run out so even if Latics did draw somebody like Bolton at home we would struggle to get 5000.

We can't sell many players anymore because even if you do the days of getting a fee that would cover a few years running costs are long gone.

Lucky to get a few hundred thou that will keep you going for another 3 or 4 weeks ??

The FL league and the clubs have to take drastic steps to change things and provide the stimulus for people to get back to the old fashioned saturday afternoon match days , otherwise the FL league will decay into a top league of richer championship clubs and the rest from league one downwards mostly part time.

These problems don't just apply to Latics but i would suspect 90% of FL clubs in league one and two as well as a few championship clubs.

I know the debate about regionalisation has been well discussed on here but i still think it's one of the best ways forward.

The only way to increase gates is either by winning and being near the top or playing local rivals. To me the long term pros far outweigh the problems of one or two clubs like Walsall or Notts etc who are in the middle but ultimately the future of the game at this level in its current state is at risk.

The colchester scenario will face more and more clubs that even a new stadium wont put right and unless the FL stop burying their heads in the sand then low levels of finance will ultimately force the FL clubs to change .

Better to do it whilst you have some control on it than be forced to do it because there is no other way.

Edited by losesome

There are many issues affecting FL clubs but little appears to be done to correct it.

The PL clubs are getting more and more money from various streams and can afford to limit gate prices. It's cheaper to get into Bolton or Blackburn than Oldham .

The cost of supporting a team like Latics is increasingly hurting the family pocket and there are better things to spend the money on to be entertained.

Also there is absolutley no family facilities or entertainment on match days and kids wont go becauase besides the match they are bored ( and sometimes during the match !!!)

Now after 40 years even i am now just turning up at 2.50 and most times glad when i am on my way home.

I feel as though i am going out of some form of robotic duty ?

Even the prospect of a cup run doesn't offer much financial hope to clubs these days unless they are lucky enough to draw United away.

The league cup (or whatever it's called these days) is a waste of time as most top clubs use it to give their reserves a run out so even if Latics did draw somebody like Bolton at home we would struggle to get 5000.

We can't sell many players anymore because even if you do the days of getting a fee that would cover a few years running costs are long gone.

Lucky to get a few hundred thou that will keep you going for another 3 or 4 weeks ??

The FL league and the clubs have to take drastic steps to change things and provide the stimulus for people to get back to the old fashioned saturday afternoon match days , otherwise the FL league will decay into a top league of richer championship clubs and the rest from league one downwards mostly part time.

These problems don't just apply to Latics but i would suspect 90% of FL clubs in league one and two as well as a few championship clubs.

I know the debate about regionalisation has been well discussed on here but i still think it's one of the best ways forward.

The only way to increase gates is either by winning and being near the top or playing local rivals. To me the long term pros far outweigh the problems of one or two clubs like Walsall or Notts etc who are in the middle but ultimately the future of the game at this level in its current state is at risk.

The colchester scenario will face more and more clubs that even a new stadium wont put right and unless the FL stop burying their heads in the sand then low levels of finance will ultimately force the FL clubs to change .

Better to do it whilst you have some control on it than be forced to do it because there is no other way.

Good point well made but completely disagree regarding regionalisation as a way forward, under the current league structure at least. Several reasons for this

GEOGRAPHICAL ISSUES:

1) You wouldn't be able to regionalise the bottom two divisions, propped up by a nationalised conference. It just wouldn't make sense.

2) It wouldn't be fair on teams around the midlands of the country, who would be the most likely to move between north and south leagues depending on the distribution of teams in the division. In some cases, such as Bishop Stortford (see here.

3) Regionalisation doesnt always work. In the past there has been a time where Derby and Nottingham have been placed in Division 3 South and North respectively, despite the fact that its all of 16 miles on the A52 that seperates the two towns.

FAIRNESS ISSUES RE PROMOTION AND RELEGATION:

1) Assuming regionalisation of the bottom two divisions would be league 1 north and league 1 south, this would automatically limit promotion to 2 from each division, and this would be on the assumption that relegation from the championship could be increased from 3 to 4, otherwise you would be limited to 1 from each league and maybe a cross league playoff to determine the 3rd place.

2) You could have a scenario where one league is considerably stronger than the other, which could see better teams being held back with lesser teams being promoted, a scenario you wouldnt have under the current system.

Some good points in this post however just taking you up on this issue regarding gate prices. They are not kept down because of the TV money subsidising this, if so why did Bolton lose £35million last fianancial year and are the thick end of £100mmillion in debt. The reason is more to do with demand of the actual match tickets Bolton even if they were right in the centre of Bolton overall wouldn't budge too much

Some good points in this post however just taking you up on this issue regarding gate prices. They are not kept down because of the TV money subsidising this, if so why did Bolton lose £35million last fianancial year and are the thick end of £100mmillion in debt. The reason is more to do with demand of the actual match tickets Bolton even if they were right in the centre of Bolton overall wouldn't budge too much

I think one club (not sure if it was Blackburn or not ) publicly stated that prices would be reduced as a result of increased revenue from sky last season.

Whilst accepting that they do lose money they are more capable of living with a debt albeit very large than a club like Latics.

If latics were a few hundred thousand in debt we would be in S**t street basically.

Edited by losesome