roonets rule

Cyrus Mehri, the US civil rights lawyer and man behind the pioneering Rooney Rule, tells BBC Sport's Leon Mann how the initiative has revolutionised the National Football League (NFL) and explains why he Is confident the English footballing authorities will adopt it.

The Rooney Rule (named after Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney) requires all teams to include at least one black or ethnic minority candidate in interviews for senior management posts.

i personaly think if you aint good enuff you aint in

If I'm trapped in a burning building I want the best man or woman to save me, regardless of colour or creed.

Positive discrimination doesn't work in anyone's favour. If you aren't up to the job you will get found out pretty quickly.

Guardiola manages the best team in the world, playing the best football, last time I looked he was black or at least mixed race for the pedants.

If I'm trapped in a burning building I want the best man or woman to save me, regardless of colour or creed.

Positive discrimination doesn't work in anyone's favour. If you aren't up to the job you will get found out pretty quickly.

Guardiola manages the best team in the world, playing the best football, last time I looked he was black or at least mixed race for the pedants.

thats how i see it god dam yanks tryin to say how we run football

You sure you weren't looking at someone else?!

Full name Josep Guardiola i Sala

Date of birth 18 January 1971 (1971-01-18) (age 40)

Place of birth Santpedor, Spain

Will never happen. At the end of the day racism works both ways. And any rule that suggests someone should get an interview solely on the basis of their skin colour in my opinion, is racist. Pure and simple.

And has this :censored:ing plank Cyrus Mehri, or whoever he is, realise the :censored:ing irony in what he's saying (if he is American I am guessing he wont given that the yanks don't exactly get irony)? Lets try and get browinie point from the 'blacks and ethnic minorities' by implying that they are incapable of getting an interview off their own merits?

Does he really think someone like Paul Ince, Chris Powell etc would want an interview if deep down, they knew it was just the 'token ethnic minority, only interviewing you because we have to but you aint getting the job' interview?

Somehow, I think they have more pride than that.

:rant.sml:

It's nonsense. If anything it's going to damage certain black managers confidence, as they'll be aware there's a possibility the only reason they're getting interviewed is due to this rule, and not their ability. Racism has pretty much been eradicated from the english game, and 99.9% of supporters won't care about the colour, creed or nationality of their manager s'long as he gets results. It might be positive racism, but it's still racism.

Edited by JonesyOAFC

Ridiculous. We've had similar problems in the fire service. They dropped standards of strength on recruit days so more women could get through, then complained because they couldn't carry their share of the big ladder. It's 100kg. 30kg on two corners and 20kg on other 2.

A lot of it is due to government ruling saying x% of workplace needs to be female black ethnic etc.

So another black recruit gets through test, interview and recruits course despite not being able to read or write only to be sacked for not being up to the job 12 months later.

Now I'm all for equal ops, and I can even understand a situation where ethnic or female recruits get the nod over White males as long as they're all of the same standard, but to drop standards to get them in? It's not just stupid, it's irresponsible and dangerous. I've been in situations in fires knowing that if things go tits up I'm dead because the woman I'm in with isn't strong enough to pull me out, and that's just plain wrong.

Edited by BlueJazzer

Ridiculous. We've had similar problems in the fire service. They dropped standards of strength on recruit days so more women could get through, then complained because they couldn't carry their share of the big ladder. It's 100kg. 30kg on two corners and 20kg on other 2.

A lot of it is due to government ruling saying x% of workplace needs to be female black ethnic etc.

So another black recruit gets through test, interview and recruits course despite not being able to read or write only to be sacked for not being up to the job 12 months later.

Now I'm all for equal ops, and I can even understand a situation where ethnic or female recruits get the nod over White males as long as they're all of the same standard, but to drop standards to get them in? It's not just stupid, it's irresponsible and dangerous. I've been in situations in fires knowing that if things go tits up I'm dead because the woman I'm in with isn't strong enough to pull me out, and that's just plain wrong.

Its like the classic case of the job centre not letting a compant put that they want someone 'hard working' in their job description, as that discriminates against those who don't work hard.

Whats next, are they going to stop schools advertising that teachers must be qualified because it discriminates against those who aren't qualified?

Edited by Lookers_Carl

:censored: me this thread's full of ignorance and tabloid fuelled horse :censored:.

Agreed - for an informed view people should chat to Ollie Holt from the Mirror on twitter, he's on a mission with this. If the different views are articulated properly he will debate all day, but he's had to put up wuth lots of abuse just for raising the issue!

Now ur just being pedantic. You know damn well what I mean. The fire service is seen as a White male dominated service and that doesn't sit well with the government. So when I say ethnic I mean ethnic minority.

It's nothing personal - just a massive bugbare of mine!

I don't have a problem with insentives to diversify a population. It's a long term positive. However you rightly point out that this should not putting ability to do the job as a secondary factor.

It's nothing personal - just a massive bugbare of mine!

I don't have a problem with insentives to diversify a population. It's a long term positive. However you rightly point out that this should not putting ability to do the job as a secondary factor.

I think you mean bugbear Ackey

Sorry it's just my bete noir