David Mellor Rumours

Ok I'll be the odd one out.

Think the lad would be daft to go, and we would be daft to sell for that price.

No disrespect to the lad, but what happens if he goes to Fulham, gets loaned out to some cockney tinpot outfit and warms the bench for Fulham reserves?

Whereas here, he has the opportunity to play first team football week in week out, which he knows he is more than good enough to, and develop at a much faster rate. He will benefit more as a footballer through playing first team football, we will get better as a team with him in it.

If they do make us an offer which we really cant refuse (ie more than 500k), then I would love to see a clause inserted which gives us first option on any loan deal.

Take the money and run, as we have seen over the years very few of our talented teenagers amount to anything! (Make sure we get a sell-on clause though just in case :wink: )

His performance on sky can't have gone unnoticed can it? And Fulham were linked weren't they around the time of "men in suits in the Clayton Green-gate"?

It’s a case of take the money & run isn't it I'd say?

It's frustrating to lose prospects to the bigger boys a la Tom Eaves, but finances will dictate surely??

Ok I'll be the odd one out.

Think the lad would be daft to go, and we would be daft to sell for that price.

No disrespect to the lad, but what happens if he goes to Fulham, gets loaned out to some cockney tinpot outfit and warms the bench for Fulham reserves?

Whereas here, he has the opportunity to play first team football week in week out, which he knows he is more than good enough to, and develop at a much faster rate. He will benefit more as a footballer through playing first team football, we will get better as a team with him in it.

If they do make us an offer which we really cant refuse (ie more than 500k), then I would love to see a clause inserted which gives us first option on any loan deal.

Craig Dawson's move from 'Dale to West Brom springs to mind there....went in Jan for 1million then was loaned right back to 'Dale for the rest of the season as part of the deal..........

Craig Dawson's move from 'Dale to West Brom springs to mind there....went in Jan for 1million then was loaned right back to 'Dale for the rest of the season as part of the deal..........

The price springs to mind too. If Dale can hold out for a seven figure sum for Dawson, then we can for Mellor.

The price springs to mind too. If Dale can hold out for a seven figure sum for Dawson, then we can for Mellor.

Dawson had 1 and half productive seasons in League 2, and 1/2 a season in League 1 under his belt. He was named in the L2 time of the year, and had picked up the L2 player of the year award. He was named in 4-4-2's 'bright young things feature' and was attracting interest from a number of Prem sides. His transfer fee reflected all that……

Mellor, whilst he has obvious potential & is a real prospect, hasn't achieved anywhere near the amount Dawson had when he got his big move. Mellor's value / price will reflect that.

It was more the immediate loan back I was refering to; not a price comparision.

Take the money and run, as we have seen over the years very few of our talented teenagers amount to anything! (Make sure we get a sell-on clause though just in case :wink: )

Are Latics youngster any more prone to 'not amounting to much' than any other side? in most recent times and near to recent times, 3 Latics youngsters are Prem players. Eardley, Teirney and Eaves. Ok Eaves is poetic license. I also couldn't tell you how successful other clubs are but I'd thought about the same as us.

Are Latics youngster any more prone to 'not amounting to much' than any other side? in most recent times and near to recent times, 3 Latics youngsters are Prem players. Eardley, Teirney and Eaves. Ok Eaves is poetic license. I also couldn't tell you how successful other clubs are but I'd thought about the same as us.

That was I was implying in my post, was the likes of Dawson really much more promising than Mellor? As a result of sticking with Dale for a while and getting first team football, he became a better player and Dale became a much better team. I accept money will dictate that we will have to sell him at some point. I won't accept the club selling him as soon as a Prem club shows us a six figure sum which in all fairness, is pittance to them.

Probably not, my point is it's good money to take for him right now when the likelyhood is he will be another Scott Spencer.

Didn't Dawson go in the summer and then spend a whole season on loan back at 'Dale?

Mellor is good, but the plenty of big clubs will soon be tracking youth team winger Chris Sutherland IMO.

You've been banging the drum a fair bit about him recently BP; so can you give us a quick low-down on him for those of us who can't get to the youth games due to being early Sat mornings & reserve games due to their bloody 2pm KO's....!!

Where does he play? How old is he? What's his build like; is he physically "up to it"? How far off a 1st team call-up is he? etc.

You've been banging the drum a fair bit about him recently BP; so can you give us a quick low-down on him for those of us who can't get to the youth games due to being early Sat mornings & reserve games due to their bloody 2pm KO's....!!

Where does he play? How old is he? What's his build like; is he physically "up to it"? How far off a 1st team call-up is he? etc.

Ok Sly;

17 year old right winger Sutherland has a Carl Valentine type build (if you can remember him), he possesses good close ball control, can beat a man, is fleet of foot and slings over crosses in the Neil Adams fashion.

In the games I have seen he has never given up attacking full backs - even after being subjected to fierce tackling.

He stays wide and doesn't move inside or track back much and I hope they don't coach that out of him as he is a genuine dangerous wide man.

I suspect he hasn't appeared much for the reserves as he inevitably picks up injuries due to his direct style of play.

If he continues to impress I think Latics will add him to the first team squad before too long, it is possible though from what I heard from a Championship club coach that bids may be in before that happens.