PNE 3 - Latics 3

Just a bit of a side note, but even if Cisak was at fault for their third (which I'm also not sure of) he pulled out a couple of really good stops, especially in the first half when Preston dominated for a short period, including one where he made an amazing save turning a point blank rocket over the bar. I've been really impressed with him this so far this season.

Totally agree.

If he is at fault it's a shock. Very good collector of crosses and his distribution was better last night too.

I admit, I may not have been so generous with a certain other keeper, but this one's an asset. Worth an extra round of applause next time he starts a half at your end of BP.

The most telling feature of last night was the initial reaction of the players at full-time. They looked gutted not to have got three points and rightly so. Despite needing to fightback, there was only one team going to win it and where, one would normally expect an onslaught from the home team, it was us piling forward and us that were unlucky not to get a winner.

There were a number of very decent performances (notably across our midfield particularly in the 2nd half) but the third Latics goal was a real highlight from recent years and all that our support deserved for turning up in numbers and turning the volume up.

It was my son's first away match last night and I'm jealous of him. My first away was a miserable defeat to Simon G*rner inspired Bl*ckburn - my son will always have Wes to look back on.

Thought we showed great sprit in the team, without playing brilliantly to come back at the end of both halves.

Made too many mistakes first half and the midfield didn't win enough which left us open. He might have got 2 goals but wes barely won a tackle in the first half and let their winger in for the second (with mellor) when they shouldn't have done. But even at 2-0 I didn't think they'd go on to score four or five. Great assist by furman for kuqi's goal, and another goal from a set piece for the second. As soon as our first went in and the fans got behind the team I had a feelIng we'd go in level.

Kuqi and Taylor seemed to swap around first half and kuqi was talking to the bench a lot and smith was warming up. Looked like he wasn't fully fit and I wasn't surprised when he went off, especially when he'd had a go at the ref.

Maybe their third was as simple as cisak getting distracted by their player or losing the ball in the floodlights? It'd surprise me especially after the players reaction and preston's players seemed surprised.

Third goal for us was great, and we could/should have gone on to win the game. Wes in the second half, furman, clarke, simpson, adeyemi all had good solid games but Taylor had one of his best this season for me. Draw was probably fair but to go to a ground like deepdale and come back from 2-0 and 3-2 late in both halves shows what dickov has done, the reaction for our third and at the final whistle with the huddle made me proud to be a latics fan, great game.

From Lancashire Evening Post

I don't want to go to Cardiff

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 at 12:09 AM

I ususally go on about whole teams defending but tonight it was defensive mistakes. The first could be put down to Carlisle not going with his man but Gray did not step up with the others to catch Kuqi off-side. Did not see who was at fault for the second but someone did not go with the runner - presume either Carlisle or Devine. The last was a good finish but should not have been allowed to shoot - midfield! but Turner should have had it. Proctor was rightly furious when they scored - we had done the job going forward we were great at times (not pedestrian.) PB needs to show his managerial credentials now and just get some clean sheets - even if it means slipping down the table with a few 0-0 draws. Teams are comin to us expecting to score a few, we need to changs our and their mentality. Last thing - well done to the Oldham faithful they were loud and proud all night - maybe we have to learn from that.

From Lancashire Evening Post

I don't want to go to Cardiff

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 at 12:09 AM

I ususally go on about whole teams defending but tonight it was defensive mistakes. The first could be put down to Carlisle not going with his man but Gray did not step up with the others to catch Kuqi off-side. Did not see who was at fault for the second but someone did not go with the runner - presume either Carlisle or Devine. The last was a good finish but should not have been allowed to shoot - midfield! but Turner should have had it. Proctor was rightly furious when they scored - we had done the job going forward we were great at times (not pedestrian.) PB needs to show his managerial credentials now and just get some clean sheets - even if it means slipping down the table with a few 0-0 draws. Teams are comin to us expecting to score a few, we need to changs our and their mentality. Last thing - well done to the Oldham faithful they were loud and proud all night - maybe we have to learn from that.

What a strange point of view.

What a strange point of view.

I thought that too - fan in wanting his own side to go on a bad run and not score shocker??

Anyway, after a nights sleep; in the cold light of day - again I'd like to put on record what a great game it was last night. Sure I've seen games with a higher amount of skill on show, but for sheer blood & thunder, for passion & commitment and for end to end entertainment - I don't think you can look much further than PNE vs Latics.

Whilst we were far from perfect*, we managed to come back from behind twice, score 3 times against a supposed top 6 side & get a very good draw.

.* I was very concerned with how exposed we were when PNE broke and the ball was switched to the flanks. I know the pitch at Deepdale is wide; but the number of times we were found with men over and runners not being tracked was quite worrying. We also had a number of unforced errors in both halves which has been unusual of late. A far from perfect performance but highs out-rank the lows.....!!

I think apart from that nightmare 5 minute spell in which we conceded two goals, we were the better team, definitely. When we got the ball on the deck and started passing it about we looked a really good side. I thought the midfield was outstanding; Furman is a class act, Wes isn't far behind, and that's the best i've seen Adeyemi play as well. Mellor looks an incredibly exciting prospect, really confident on the ball and technically very good. He's still a bit raw defensively, particularly in a positional sense, but that'll come with experience. In reflection, i'm a bit disappointed we didn't win the game, as I felt the performance deserved all three points.

I thought that too - fan in wanting his own side to go on a bad run and not score shocker??

Anyway, after a nights sleep; in the cold light of day - again I'd like to put on record what a great game it was last night. Sure I've seen games with a higher amount of skill on show, but for sheer blood & thunder, for passion & commitment and for end to end entertainment - I don't think you can look much further than PNE vs Latics.

Whilst we were far from perfect*, we managed to come back from behind twice, score 3 times against a supposed top 6 side & get a very good draw.

.* I was very concerned with how exposed we were when PNE broke and the ball was switched to the flanks. I know the pitch at Deepdale is wide; but the number of times we were found with men over and runners not being tracked was quite worrying. We also had a number of unforced errors in both halves which has been unusual of late. A far from perfect performance but highs out-rank the lows.....!!

I didnt go , but for all Mellors and Lees praise I always see them leaving alot of space on the wingers in the games I have seen

what's happening with Diallo- is he inujured again?

Aye, hamstring i think it is. When it happened think they said it will be about 6-8 weeks before he's back. My only worry with Diallo is he can to keen. If he mis-controls the ball he tries a bit to hard to get it back, usually resulting with him lunging in like when he got sent off against Hudders, and then on his return to the side (as a sub) there was an identical moment from him once he had lost it. We have Black now anyway who doesn't give as much space away, but can get beaten quite a few times, however once beaten he is quite good at scrambling back. Good for Dickov to have a few more choices, offers him creater flexibility with his squad aswell.

Also to those who went last night, what was our formation? 4-4-2 4-3-3 4-5-1 4-4-1-1? Couldn't tell on LP and even though OS said 4-4-1-1 in team line ups, sounded more like Adeyemi was in centre mid.

Overall a great game and worth every penny.

Great advert for league one football and a draw probably fair result.

Their 3rd goal apart (not seen any replay yet) two of the officials were a complete disgrace and i wish the FA would ask questions afterwards instead of leaving them to get on with their poor performancs on a weekly basis.

How the ref could allow their No 2 to stay on the park when at least 2 yellows and possibly a staright red were called for is beyond believe , he didnt even speak to the guy on either tackle. Then sure as predicted as soon as a latics player committed their first bad tackle a yellow is branded.

He then allows a dreadful tackle to go by playing an advantage then when the play stops he is looking round completely clueless on who made the tackle so could book him.He gave up in the end when it became an embarrassment.

Also don't think i have ever witnesed a team going through 90 minutes without an offside decision against them but i am sure PNE did last night.

The fat bald linesmen (refuse to call them refs assisants) couldn't even see when the whole of the ball went over the line for a throw on 3 occasions.

Also why do the linesmen not swop round at HT because that way if the guy is just an idiot full stop and not biased , then the other team would get the advantage of his poor decisions in the second half!!

Completely overawed by the crowd and the surroundings and i dread to think what Sir Alex would say if they were at OT anytime !!!!!!!!!!!

They tried their best but thankfully these idiots didn't spoil a great game.

Well played Latics.

Edited by losesome

Brilliant stadium, brilliant game, brilliant atmosphere.

Rubbish officials and rubbish that I missed our first two goals, however the celebrating for the third goal made up for it (I was only saved from some involuntary crowd surfing by those next to me dragging me back!)

While Wes was our man of the match, I would say last night was a further example of why it is imperative that we get Lee and Furman signed up on longer contracts. Absolutely dependable every game.

Wesolowski was awesome but my goodness, so many unforced errors from the team tonight.

Great point in the end though.

Kuqi looked like he'd taken a knock to me.

This sounds daft but apart from scoring the two goals I thought he was weak last night, he didn't track runners or stop balls coming into our box.

I went mad after their 2nd went in because wes allowed their guy to just cross it without making a tackle or being strong.

Edited by KYLEOAFC

I only arrived at Deepdale just before the kick-off and was amazed that, from 300 yards away, the chant of "Oh When The Blues" could be heard loud and clear.

Wesolowski is definitely the new Yard Dog. I'll reserve judgement about whether PNE's third goal was a foul, but one of their fans was adamant that it should have been disallowed. He also agreed that the ref was :censored:e.