PNE 3 - Latics 3

Sounded like a great game and a good result. It will be good to hear the reaction of the fans who went.

We heard you loud and clear... good turn out. Can't wait for Saturday now.

Edited by pdw76

Really wanted to go tonight but couldn't get time off work (bloody parents booking every sodding school holiday off :ranting: ). Sounded very much like a point gained rather than 2 lost, what do those of you who went think? Was it a foul on Cisak for their 3rd? Was the referee as crap as he sounded? What the hell's gotten into Wesolowski?

Make that 13 with the linesman in the second half. Fantastic battling display we should have won the decision for their third was unbelievable when you consider everytime a player goes near the keeper a foul is given. As I say great battling performance and apart from a silly ten minute spell when they scored two goals we looked comfortable. So many good performances man of the match would be a tough one could be any of them all to be honest.

We were unspectacular but dogged and the Preston players will have hated playing us. We're missing Reid though as we looked toothless going forward, particularly on the counter. BUT we got in their faces and could have nicked it at the end. PNE will do precisely nowt this season. Special mention for super Wes.

Great, raucous support from the Tics. I was sat with the Preston fans and had to make do with having a mini epileptic fit in my seat when we made it three all while you lot all got to go mental. Jealous.

Woof.

My views on the game were I felt that when we got the ball down and actually played football we looked solid, we stopped playing football and went 2 down to 2 goals which we could have stopped in the build up. Great reaction from the lads to pull it back. Funniest moment was just as the home fans started chanting 2-1 to the PNE we scored and shut them up. Second half we again played some good football but lacked venom up front. Again in my opinion subbing Kuqi was the wrong move as some of the balls put into Smith I believe Shefki wouldve made more of an effort/had more experience to get on the end of. Furman for me was unluck not to score, but Simpson shouldve done better with his chance. I thought Simpson was weak tonight, but he certainly wasnt the only one making silly mistakes. Wesolowki (think thats how its spelt) was solid and him and Furman look a good paring but when Tom A moved out wide more in the second half I think we missed his energy. Cracking finish for our third.

Great night out, shame the ref had a such an impact on the game. Also worth noting how nice Deepdale is and how much better an atmosphere we would have if we had a nice ground.

A weird game...3-3 full of excitement but frustrating as well. 2 dodgy defences I thought and there could have been more goals in it.

Didn't see there 3rd goal but the ref was defiantly on the side of the home team. We picked up a couple of yellow cards for 1st bad tackles and there boys got away with several especially in the first half.

Bit gutted we didn't win as we could have and very confused with the Kuqi substitution. Matt Smith added nothing and can't play up top on his own, not enough experience yet!

Would have took a point before the game though....great reaction to the 3rd goal and Dickovs huddle in front of the fans at the end of the game. Certainly a spirit in this team not seen at Oldham for a long time!

Great performance but I can't help thinking we should have won it despite the referee and linesmen.

Adeyemi had his best game I thought - looks much better as part of a midfield 3 when he doesn't have to do the dirty work and can concentrate on trying to score and create.

Wesolowski was awesome even without the goals. Furman recovered well from his error that gifted them a goal.

Strange one taking Kuqi off - was it a pre-emptive move before that dickhead of a ref did it for us?

I can't believe he forgot to give their player a straight red for that assault after letting us (for the only time) play the advantage.

I'll reserve judgement on their 3rd until I see it on TV.

Keep Reid fit and sign a better centre half than what we've got in January (or play Tarky) and we can go up this season.

It was an entertaining game though not a particularly great one from a footballing point of view.

PNE looked lively going forward but didn't create much other than the 2 first half goals. Their 3rd looked to be a freak accident. A few people thought it was a foul on Cisak but I'd like to see the highlights before commenting - looked like he pulled a Brill to me, their forward just stood in front of him.

Fantastic spirit from the boys to battle back in each half but also a bit frustrating as we seemed to cause ourselves problems by giving the ball away and standing off them instead of sticking a foot in (first half particularly). Mellor's defensive weaknesses were exposed tonight - he can get away with it against the likes of Wycombe but against a tricky forward he struggled.

I thought the ref did ok insofar as he got most of the decisions right (bar missing one blatant corner for us) but was very inconsistent with his bookings. Their players were fouling persistently and although we got the free kicks he never pulled the cards out - then Adeyemi concedes one foul and gets a yellow. At the end he should have given someone a card (possibly red) but didn't look to know which player had committed the foul (after playing advantage).

MOTM got to be Wes but they all put in a decent shift. Agree with those who thought Kuqi should have stayed on - few people round me thought he might have taken a knock.

Can't see PNE going up this year based on that performance - poor defence.

Edited by bossrocks

Good battling performance. Great spirit to come back twice, there's been a tendency of late for our heads to go down too easily. Absolutely fantastic support as well, in numbers and noise. I'll go into more depth tomorrow when i'm less exhausted, but what I will say is, Mellor is going to be some player...

Edited by JonesyOAFC

Brilliant fightback and well earned point at a place where lots of other sides will come away with nothing, At 2-0 down it looked like a rout was on the way and I was fearing the worst but credit where it's due! The lads found the belief to get one back and it was dreamland when the second went in.

It was difficult to make out what happened for their third but our players seemed adamant that foul play had occured and that real sickening feeling that it was going to be one of those nights hit home, Then the thunderbolt hit the onion bag sending the travelling masses into ecstasy

Very happy tonight!!!!

Loved the game. I think we deserved the win over the 90 minutes.

I thought we were on top until Furman's error gifted them the first. Then, as we often do, we completely lost shape and they scored a decent second goal. That ball inside the full back hurt us a lot first half.

Fears of us falling apart were quickly dispelled when Kuqi went through the middle to pull one back. Anyone know what he was doing on the left most of the game? Odd tactic.

I knew we were going to equalise from the free kick just before half time because their fans picked the wrong moment to sing "2-1 to the PNE". Loved it. Just loved it! Great delivery (Mellor?) and nice finish from Weso, although their keeper jumped out of the way.

Second half I thought we had the edge, then their goal came out of nothing. Not sure which half of the field their defender was in but I did think the huge hoof was on target. As soon as their player jumped with Cisak I simply assumed a foul and was gobsmacked when the referee gave the goal. As others have said, one for the TV replay, but as it's usually a foul for jumping within a 5 yard radius of the goalkeeper it was a surprise to see us 3-2 behind.

A mention for Furman's effort, can't remember if it was before or after their third, but his turn and left foot effort that the keeper tipped away was magnificent. Really unlucky not to score.

Weso's equaliser was a beauty. Perhaps their keeper should have got to it, but he hit it sweetly and it was one of the great away moments of recent years (for me anyway).

In the dying minutes I thought we were going to win it. Smith should have stayed onside and if he had done there was a through ball that would have left him one on one but they held a high line and Matt failed to curve his run. Then we had Mellor overlapping in injury time and them attacking down our left.

The linesman nearest the Latics fans had a nightmare. The referee's failure to book a number of their players first half and inability to identify the culprit of the late tackle late on (after playing a good advantage) was extraordinary. Both our cards were the correct decision. But PNE should have had three more players shown a card, possibly including a red.

I thought it was a cracking effort by Latics. They were marginally the better team and it would have been no injustice if we'd come away with 3 points. Great support tonight too.

Ever so slightly jealous of Deepdale as a stadium, and completely baffled by the segregation behind the goal. Why let home fans in there at all when there must be 15,000 empty seats in the other three stands?

Great night. Great spirit on and off the pitch. We looked a good outfit with the occasional defensive frailties costing us.

I thought dickov was right in taking kuqi off, he was so incensed about the third goal he was likely to get sent off! The ref was clueless he made so many errors and then when their player took out Lee, he played the advantage but then ran around the pitch for a minute looking for the player to book but hadn't a clue who it was so kept his card in his pocket. I stand to be corrected on their third goal but it looked a blatant foul to me, remember how much keepers are protected at corners etc! And don't get me started on the blatant corner he missed! I never thought I'd be gutted to be coming away with a point but I am! Even the cheap beer in Preston town centre hasn't eased that!

What a game. at 2-0 down i wrote us off. I felt like going home! then all of a sudden Kuqi got one back which set us up good for second half, only for Wes to make it 2-2 which was perfect. we played really well most of the game, i think abit to many hoofs and long balls but im sure dickov will sort that in time.

The 3rd goal gave me a feeling iv not had for many years as a oldham fan, totally immense. must of hugged 2 or 3 guys i didnt know.haha. shame about the ref but we always seem to find these pricks ruining our game. we dealt with preston and the officials very well and showed where not just a small club.

and deepdale was a really nice ground, id love to see us in a ground like that. the noise of the crowd and the size of it would certainly :censored: some teams up.

He comes from africa hes better than Kaka Dean Furman Dean Furman

I thoroughly enjoyed that tonight, great entertainment.

I'll be quick with my points as its late.....

Great spirit, bottle and graft to come back twice, from 2 nil down and again from 3-2. Their 3rd looked dodgy as hell from where i was; but its one that i need to see again on TV to be sure. Any jump with the Keeper these days is usually a foul so it does seem odd.

I thought the ref was poor - their RB; Gray should have gone for 2 bookables in the 1st half alone, yet he actually got away scott-free. Mayor should have seen red late on, but it summed the ref up for me; after playing advantage he forgot who had fouled - you could see him gormlessly looking around......massive home bias tonight and we did well to keep our composure, well most

Which leads me on to the Kuqi sub. I think PD took big Shef off before he talked his way off the park, that said - IMO if he had still been on the pitch in the dying moments instead of the raw Smith i think we may have nicked it - Smith isnt there, and on tonights showing is a long way off being 'there' too

Great effort from a number of the team tonight, but for me the 2 to single out are Wes and Simpson. Even without his 2 goals wes was outstanding, with the strikes he was even better! I thought simpson was again very impressive, without being a world beater hes effective; works hard and added a solidity to the side.

Great point and an enjoyable game

Just a bit of a side note, but even if Cisak was at fault for their third (which I'm also not sure of) he pulled out a couple of really good stops, especially in the first half when Preston dominated for a short period, including one where he made an amazing save turning a point blank rocket over the bar. I've been really impressed with him this so far this season.