Tonight - Latics 3 Crewe 1

The lad who scored for Crewe was Nick Powell, only 17 and looks a star of the future (keep an eye on him PD).

Good all round performance tonight.

Said the same at the game - looked a classy player.

Me & My Mate Googled him in the Range afterwards - he's a local Crewe lad, is 18 years of age and already has England youth caps (U17's - played 17, goals 5 IIRC)

He's also being tracked by the big boys - already had a trial at Arsenal. He's already out of our league I'd say.

Destined for a higher path I'd say.

Me & My Mate Googled him in the Range afterwards - he's a local Crewe lad, is 18 years of age and already has England youth caps (U17's - played 17, goals 5 IIRC)

He's also being tracked by the big boys - already had a trial at Arsenal. He's already out of our league I'd say.

if he's as good as people say then I doubt he'd sign for us

Well pleased with that tonight, thought we eased off a bit after we got the first but stepped it up again towards the end of the first-half and probably should have gone in at least 2-0 up. Another good start to the half could have seen us get the all important second goal, instead we went to sleep and their lad scores a cracker. However, it was nice to see us go for the jugular, Adeyemi's screamer deserved a goal but the big man was on hand to bury the rebound. After that there was only going to be one winner and Scapuzzi capped a superb display with a fine third.

Gerrard - One great save in the first half, after that very little to do and certainly no chance with the goal

Lee - Touch let him down when in good positions on a number of occasions but decent enough both in defence and attack tonight

M'Voto - Never really tested, from a lightweight Crewe attack although the way the defence collectively switched off for the goal was a worry

Diamond - Similar to M'Voto and i'm sure Zola and Kee will give us much more to think about come Saturday

Black - a proper left-back, thought he had a good game and deserves his place back in there imo

Simpson - At the heart of everything good we did, could and should have had a hat-trick. Should have been man of the match

Furman - worked hard, passed well once he realised he didn't need to sit so deep

Adeyemi - Thought he was poor for the first half hour than came to the fore, was particularly effective in winning the ball back with his gangly tackling. Best game i've seen him have (apart from Dongs game)

Taylor - That's more like it Chris, a constant thorn in Crewe's side, rarely gave it away and worked harder than i've seen him for a while

Kuqi - I thought we'd pulled off a (Kuqi) coup when we signed him but never in my wildest dreams did I think he would score 10 in his first 14, and two real poachers efforts tonight.

Scapuzzi - Looks a helluva prospect, rarely wastes the ball a hand in the first and scored a cracking third. His probing passes along with Simpson ensured we were a threat all night. He's the reason Simpson doesn't get my MOM award. He does can't wait to see more of him on Saturday.

<snip>

In terms of the game - really enjoyed it. Good game of football.

Crewe play some nice stuff, techincally they are very good, but that said - I can see why they're struggling, as they lack a bite and a cutting edge. Its all nice & pretty but doesn't really get them anywhere. As above, Nick Powell was a standout for them, but I was also impressed with the LB, Carl Martin too.

For us - I'd go along with what most appear to saying; rating wise - with just 2 exceptions:

Simpson was my MoM, cloesly followed by the excellent Furman. Robbie has been close to MoM a fair few times; just missing out IMO to others by a hairs width - but last night I thought he absolutely outstanding and a deserving winner of the award.

And I don't think it was a collective switch off for their goal - just 1 - M'Voto. Continuing his awful form for me - yep he won a fair bit in the air; but he just switches off, is over lethargic and just, well - loses it. He should have done way better than just almost pass the ball out for a throw-in in the first place, then he just didn't react; he switched off and his man got free from the throw - it inviited the shot and cost us the goal. For me, I don't know what's gone on with him this season; but I'm convinced its Barry-Yves M'Voto playing for us now, the sh1te sunday league player - not Jean-Yves we saw last season whilst on loan. It's a worry for me…..

He's not 18 until next March so he will be looking at big offers from the top flight and even abroad I imagine.

BTW good reports from a scouting friend of mine who is with a premiership club on Latics youth team centre back Glenn Belezika, he was amazed he isn't in first team contention, but I explained there are several other experienced central defenders at the club (even Tarky can't get a game) so his chances will be limited for some time.

For those who haven't seen him he's big, very quick and assured.

• 7 months later...

You can just tell when a young player "has it", down the years we've seen a fair few who have rockwd up at BP and you can just tell they're destined for the top.

Dean Ashton was one, Rowe & Pilkington also.

Season before last Alex Oxalade-Chambalin, and season just gone Nick Powell.

I don't think it's going to be too long till Fergie bloods him. He's not afraid of playing youth; and Powell is a future star - he was a class apart in the JPT game, and he's a massive talent.

Crewe always seem to get top dollar. If this was Oldham, we would probably be getting around £750000

I never understand this argument. We've received some pretty good fees in recent years. And the players we've sold had nowhere near the potential Powell has. People make out like we've been selling players with Zidane-esque ability for peanuts, which isn't the case at all.

Don't see us getting him wife beater himself will make a call to Daddy and get him off him on loan

Not sure, I heard the owner of PUFC on the radio a short while ago saying he doen't like getting loan players in but prefers to 'blood' academy players "who will financially benefit the club in the future".

Not sure, I heard the owner of PUFC on the radio a short while ago saying he doen't like getting loan players in but prefers to 'blood' academy players "who will financially benefit the club in the future".

he might change his mind when he can have a £6 million player for a year for next to nothing though

The main reason why Crewe get paid better amounts than Latics, is that the players they produce are better. However, Latics have the Manchester clubs on their doorstep so in many cases were not going to get first choice of the best players. Crewe probably will have a little bit more flexibility than us.

I never understand this argument. We've received some pretty good fees in recent years. And the players we've sold had nowhere near the potential Powell has. People make out like we've been selling players with Zidane-esque ability for peanuts, which isn't the case at all.

Ex-bloody-actly.

Crewe have had what, Ashton, Maynard & now Powell over recent(ish) seasons move on for decent money.

In the same time frame we've had Spencer, Trotman, Eardley, Eaves, Philiskirk........

I don't see an issue here - Crewe's 3 above are in fairness better players than our list; so it's hardly rocket science that they moved on for higher fees.

When you look at other clubs - I'd say we are doing above average in terms of selling on home-grown players.