Latics 3 - 1 Burton

It's all well and good lampooning those who criticise but there's a valid point in amongst the overzealous moans. That is, that we've shown on a number of occasions that we struggle to defend even a very considerable lead. And everyone knows that there seems to be an issue with second half performances versus first half.

That's not to say we shouldn't be pleased with the way things are going (as well as we could really have expected) but there's no harm in pointing out weaknesses - that's got to be worthy of discussion.

Discussion, absolutely.

But as usual, there are plenty on here going way, way OTT on this.

We won 3-1, we didn’t play particularly well but still did more than enough to warrant the win and a 2 goal margin of victory.

But, there's more posts on this thread than there have been on some post match threads when we've lost, which is odd to say the least. We won the game, we're through to the 2nd round and we've continued the little run, yet some are still not happy & are pissing & moaning. The joy of following Oldham I guess?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put it down to the fact that everyone knows we're not far off a decent side, but a few minor aspects are stopping us from maximising our potential.

Dickov is doing an exceptional job - absolutely fantastic, but there are certain lessons that he has to learn to make him a class act at this level. Criticism put his and the player's way should only be constructive - if anyone really thinks he and the players are doing a bad job, they need their bumps felt.

Under Penney, for example, there came a point where I just stopped criticising - because I knew there was no room for improvement. We were dire under him and I knew we were just going no where.

Under Dickov, on the otherhand, we're improving all the time. Excellent signings, more consistent performances and progression in two of the three cups we've taken part in this season.

We all know the constraints at the club, so why not just enjoy the fact that we’re actually doing alright?

exactly the reasoning behind my 'rantings' if you want to call them that.

like everyone else, we all want the best for the team and its little things that when simply shrugged off will stop you from getting those extra 7 points for example and could mean the difference between being 12th or being able to sneak a top 6 challenge.

i am more than happy with how we're doing overall and as much as i'd like us to be top 6 i think somwhere around 12th is our likely finish - HOWEVER if we do our jobs properly when deservedly leading games then we SHOULD be a lot better off points wise and therefore season expectation-wise.

The lads need to stop letting themselves down and see games out properly

it happens every season (penney aside) - we could end up so much better off 'but for losing a 2-0 lead' or 'if we hadn't let the last minute goal in' - it's high time we stopped being so generous and fair-minded in giving teams hope in games and start killing them off good and proper.

Sorry if being somewhat of a perfectionist and having a hard-nosed attitude grates some of you - yes perhaps it is a little overzealous on occasions, but i for one am sick of our 'if only we..' moments and its time the team did itself justice for all our sakes.

Anyway, here's hoping Taylor shuts myself and other critics up and rips Dean Holden/Trotman a new one on saturday (but Shez still keeps his job).

Edited by shefflatic

Our 3rd goal was very well worked, and bodes well for the Furman / Weslowski partnership. I like how advanced Furman was to get on the end of the low cross, he was constantly breaking beyond Simpson & Kuqi, adding a new dimension to our play.

Most players, having got into Kuqi's position, would have taken one more stride and crossed from the left with their left foot, probably allowing the defender to block the cross. Kuqi flicked the cross with his right foot gaining that vital mini-second. :imnotworthy:

It's all well and good lampooning those who criticise but there's a valid point in amongst the overzealous moans. That is, that we've shown on a number of occasions that we struggle to defend even a very considerable lead. And everyone knows that there seems to be an issue with second half performances versus first half.

That's not to say we shouldn't be pleased with the way things are going (as well as we could really have expected) but there's no harm in pointing out weaknesses - that's got to be worthy of discussion.

To me it's simple, the defence is not good enough to get much higher in the League than mid-table. It also may not be good enough to get us much further in the two knock-out competitions. On the present budget, Dickov is unlikely to bring in better defenders.

I would like to see Tarky getting a game. Dickov says he's not been forgotten, but he is prepared to put him and others out on loan.

Available for loan

Perhaps his idea is to get them out and bring more loanees in, hopefully better defenders.