Latics 3 - 1 Burton

Can't understand why he didn't give our 35 year old talisman the second half off . Smith must be wondering what is goin on. Spending alll the game warming up. Surely 45 minutes against 10 men would be a terrific time to let him loose .....very odd.

I have to admit I was wondering exactly the same thing...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we was 10-0 up I'm guessing you would still want us to take advantage of 10 men and play attacking football in the second half.

As long as we defended, which we did. It was the end of Burtons cup run

#

Defended, your deluded, we were outplayed im the second half by a team with men.

I have to admit I was wondering exactly the same thing...

And if Burton would have got a 2nd with Kuqi off, PD would have been slammed for taking our best player off and giving them the initiative,

Matt Smith is what 4th, 5th best (choice) striker at the club, and quite frankly it should stay that way!!

Edited by alex_balls

How do people not comprehend that you play differently when 3 nil up compared to behind? The result speaks for itself here regardless of a second half which we had nothing to play for

I was frustrated with the second half though. Probably because I wanted an 8-0 win.

I compare it to the Rochdale game where we were up against 10 men, and we stroked the ball around nicely, kept possesion and, if Dale had the ball we didn't let them do anything threatening with it.

Yesterday a better side would have done us more damage. We certainly didn't control the second half.

It's job done and I'm not losing sleep over it. But it would be nice if the team could perform in both halves of a game with a little more regularity.

All the fans were panicking, and some still are here, but we were very, very comfortable, save for an odd lapse.

Cisak picked the ball out of the net, made a good save at his feet, and caught the ball with a cross from near the halfway line. That was it apart from goal kicks and passbacks.

In the hat, no injuries, no red cards, rested legs due to clicking down a few gears second half. Perfect!

And to put the icing on the cake, could lead to at least 50k worth of income the club havent budgeted for.

We didn't press as much in the second half, but burton were great second half, made sure they went down fighting and had some decent chances. Their fans were the best we've had at BP for ages.

I'll take a 3-1 win and in the next round, and we saw a decent cup tie ontop. Furman and Simpson were brilliant, and when we attacked we looked like we'd score, shame we didn't get more but burton played well second half

Im not sure if your aunty has a dick or not.

Jesus, your commenting on a match that you were not even present at.

If Burton had got the second ( from our sloppy play) it would have been a Carlisle all over again.

Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. If they hadn't cleared our shot off the line in the second half and we'd have got the third penalty for handball it might have finished 5-1. But it didn't.

I must be the only one that went away from the game yesterday and didnt feel like we won, the mentality of get 3 goals we have won now lets relax is piss poor the lads have to learn to be on top of the game for 90+ mins we let teams into the game far to easy................ now i can see what happend at preston and carlisle......................................

We play like that againste burton with 10 men god help us in the league :S

We didn't press as much in the second half, but burton were great second half, made sure they went down fighting and had some decent chances. Their fans were the best we've had at BP for ages.

I quoted the above on the Burton fans' forum and got this reply:

2nd half we were a lot better, only partly because Oldham sat back a bit more. One lesson we could take from Oldham was how to stretch the game when playing against 10. I thought some of their passing and movement was superb, particularly Kuqi's movement.

I agree about our support, Oldham seemed totally underwhelmed by the experience, apart from some very angry children towards the end.

I must be the only one that went away from the game yesterday and didnt feel like we won, the mentality of get 3 goals we have won now lets relax is piss poor the lads have to learn to be on top of the game for 90+ mins we let teams into the game far to easy................ now i can see what happend at preston and carlisle......................................

We play like that againste burton with 10 men god help us in the league :S

here here, totally agree.

3-0 up vs 10 men - if i were playing i'd run that extra bit harder and do the nitty gritty stuff thta bit better in order to preserve the clean sheet and want the team to zip the ball around and really up the tempo, go at them and get a hatful.

Instead, we take the 'we've done the job now that's it; lets stop closing down and let them just come at us, we don't give a fook cos we're 3 up' attitude.

EXACTLY the attitude at Carlisle in the 2nd half and against bury where we just let them take the piss for 45 minutes before actually being arsed as a team and having a go 2nd half by which time its too late.

Against Carlisle, WE were the team 3-1 up, WE should be the team to come out 2nd half and go at them again and get more but again we let them have the ball and do what they want with no pressure then 'can't put our finger' on why we let the lead slip.

Keep showing the same half-arsed atttude lads and it will cost us in the end - just as Kuqi aluded to in his interview last week, pissed off that we let these teams back into a game from nothing - well said Shefki, same the rest of the team havent got the same high standard thinking.

Oh and lads in midfield, mark THE MAN and not the space - we might them win the ball back and stop teams from having 40 yard runs with the ball before we even get near them.

Our 2nd half yesterday was :censored:e as was echoed by PD in a polite manner - we need to moan at these things as it is all about being as preofesional as possible and not doing a sub-standard job - you should want to perform as best you can every game, we didn't and so we have something to improve on.

Anyone happy with throwing away 2 and 3-0 leads in games through simply not being bothered to continue to work as hard as the team did to get in that position in the first place should talk to the ones at Carlisle including myself - NOT acceptable (in any league - you don't see Man Utd EVER letting it slip)

3-0 up vs 10 men - if i were playing i'd run that extra bit harder and do the nitty gritty stuff thta bit better in order to preserve the clean sheet and want the team to zip the ball around and really up the tempo, go at them and get a hatful.

Instead, we take the 'we've done the job now that's it; lets stop closing down and let them just come at us, we don't give a fook cos we're 3 up' attitude.

EXACTLY the attitude at Carlisle in the 2nd half and against bury where we just let them take the piss for 45 minutes before actually being arsed as a team and having a go 2nd half by which time its too late.

Against Carlisle, WE were the team 3-1 up, WE should be the team to come out 2nd half and go at them again and get more but again we let them have the ball and do what they want with no pressure then 'can't put our finger' on why we let the lead slip.

Keep showing the same half-arsed atttude lads and it will cost us in the end - just as Kuqi aluded to in his interview last week, pissed off that we let these teams back into a game from nothing - well said Shefki, same the rest of the team havent got the same high standard thinking.

Oh and lads in midfield, mark THE MAN and not the space - we might them win the ball back and stop teams from having 40 yard runs with the ball before we even get near them.

Our 2nd half yesterday was :censored:e as was echoed by PD in a polite manner - we need to moan at these things as it is all about being as preofesional as possible and not doing a sub-standard job - you should want to perform as best you can every game, we didn't and so we have something to improve on.

Anyone happy with throwing away 2 and 3-0 leads in games through simply not being bothered to continue to work as hard as the team did to get in that position in the first place should talk to the ones at Carlisle including myself - NOT acceptable (in any league - you don't see Man Utd EVER letting it slip)

It can happen;

http://www.stretford-end.com/2011/09/talking-points-manchester-united-3-3-fc-basel/

and to the best;

http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/09/10/idINIndia-59268820110910

and even worse;

http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/1857

Edited by BP1960

It can happen;

http://www.stretford-end.com/2011/09/talking-points-manchester-united-3-3-fc-basel/

Surely the sign of a half decent team though is one that doesn't necessarily play well, yet still manages to win by a comfortable scoreline?

Doesn't matter how :censored:e Burton were, Latics can only beat whats put in front of them.

We got the result. We didn’t play well really, especially 2nd half; but we still got the result. As someone has already said, that's the mark of a decent team in that you're still able to get a result when you're not playing well.

Burton were poor, and going down to 10 men so early meant they were always going to be up against it. You can only beat what is in front of you, and we did that. Job done all told.

Yes I was at times disappointed with the second half performance - but we've gone into the 2nd round, we've continued the run and winning breeds confidence.

Taking the positives out of the game:

Kuqi scored and set up 1 whilst actually having a pretty poor game - a mark of a top player

Simpson finally got on the score-sheet - deservedly so IMO, and he was comfortably MoM for me again.

Our 3rd goal was very well worked, and bodes well for the Furman / Weslowski partnership. I like how advanced Furman was to get on the end of the low cross, he was constantly breaking beyond Simpson & Kuqi, adding a new dimension to our play.

<br />We got the result. We didn't play well really, especially 2nd half; but we still got the result. As someone has already said, that's the mark of a decent team in that you're still able to get a result when you're not playing well.<br />Burton were poor, and going down to 10 men so early meant they were always going to be up against it. You can only beat what is in front of you, and we did that. Job done all told.<br /><br />Yes I was at times disappointed with the second half performance - but we've gone into the 2nd round, we've continued the run and winning breeds confidence.<br />Taking the positives out of the game:<br />Kuqi scored and set up 1 whilst actually having a pretty poor game - a mark of a top player<br />Simpson finally got on the score-sheet - deservedly so IMO, and he was comfortably MoM for me again.<br />Our 3rd goal was very well worked, and bodes well for the Furman / Weslowski partnership. I like how advanced Furman was to get on the end of the low cross, he was constantly breaking beyond Simpson & Kuqi, adding a new dimension to our play.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Shhh!!! Don't you know the team is rubbish, we failed to score 10, didn't beat Bury etc etc!

<br /><br /><br />

Shhh!!! Don't you know the team is rubbish, we failed to score 10, didn't beat Bury etc etc!

It's all well and good lampooning those who criticise but there's a valid point in amongst the overzealous moans. That is, that we've shown on a number of occasions that we struggle to defend even a very considerable lead. And everyone knows that there seems to be an issue with second half performances versus first half.

That's not to say we shouldn't be pleased with the way things are going (as well as we could really have expected) but there's no harm in pointing out weaknesses - that's got to be worthy of discussion.

It is worthy of discussion. Although some of the apparent fury shown is slightly OTT. And it is something the manager and players need to address.

I don't think Bury fans were particularly critical of their side after we gave them something close to a battering second half a week early.

Exactly, whilst we could and should have done better a lot of people are losing sight of the fact that we are proceeding in cup competitions and probably where we will end up in the league.

granted with tighter defending and some better finishing we may be touching the play off spots but we are scoring goals and getting reasonable results.

I am not for one moment suggesting that we should be satisfied with that and so should the players (from Kuqi's reactions you can tell that is far from the case) but the way that some people are going on you would think that we were in a terminal decline. Dickov and the lads know where we are coming up short. Enjoy being in the next round of two cups and stop bitching

It is worthy of discussion. Although some of the apparent fury shown is slightly OTT. And it is something the manager and players need to address.

I don't think Bury fans were particularly critical of their side after we gave them something close to a battering second half a week early.

I put it down to the fact that everyone knows we're not far off a decent side, but a few minor aspects are stopping us from maximising our potential.

Dickov is doing an exceptional job - absolutely fantastic, but there are certain lessons that he has to learn to make him a class act at this level. Criticism put his and the player's way should only be constructive - if anyone really thinks he and the players are doing a bad job, they need their bumps felt.

Under Penney, for example, there came a point where I just stopped criticising - because I knew there was no room for improvement. We were dire under him and I knew we were just going no where.

Under Dickov, on the otherhand, we're improving all the time. Excellent signings, more consistent performances and progression in two of the three cups we've taken part in this season.

We all know the constraints at the club, so why not just enjoy the fact that we’re actually doing alright?