Taylor and Lee to be offered new deals

Definitely good news that we're starting these discussions now, would be nice to see some movement on Furman, Shefki and Wes as well. Perhaps that report on BBC about Taylor has kicked us into life?

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsUpdate/0,,10337~2526470,00.html

--edit: link added--

Edited by Microcuts

Good news I think, lets hope they don't get greedy... Will be good to tie something up even if we are then going to sell them

to be fair i dont think it would be a case of being greedy the lads don't have that many earning years left in football,so if they had a chance to earn more they would need to think about how it would affect them,mortgage etc as they're not earning thousands,they will have a good standard of living now but probably nothing when the football ends

to be fair i dont think it would be a case of being greedy the lads don't have that many earning years left in football,so if they had a chance to earn more they would need to think about how it would affect them,mortgage etc as they're not earning thousands,they will have a good standard of living now but probably nothing when the football ends

This is something that really annoys me about footballers attitudes to be honest. As though after they've finished playing football for a living (something which lets not forget is a much more pleasant way to make your living than the vast majority of other professions) they're incapable of going getting any otehr job and should be entitled to a retirement at 35 and live the rest of their lives with no burdens in relative luxury. Is this really how it should be?! This sort of attitude is part of the reason footballers wages are crippling every football league club accross the country.

This is something that really annoys me about footballers attitudes to be honest. As though after they've finished playing football for a living (something which lets not forget is a much more pleasant way to make your living than the vast majority of other professions) they're incapable of going getting any otehr job and should be entitled to a retirement at 35 and live the rest of their lives with no burdens in relative luxury. Is this really how it should be?! This sort of attitude is part of the reason footballers wages are crippling every football league club accross the country.

Your so wrong..

Lads at this level dont earn millions.

FFS they have mortgages to pay, kids , school fees and all that... Who are we to bitch when we are all in the same boat trying to better ourselves and our own families.

I hope Taylor holds out for a great deal which secures him financially for him and his family..

For all we know he may get his leg broken and have to retire..along with anyother professional in the lower leagues.

and breathe.

Their is nothing stopping them going getting another job when their football career is over your right. However whether they would need to work after football or not if I was a footballer, I would still be trying to make as much money out of football as I could you can't blame them for doing that.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Your so wrong..

Lads at this level dont earn millions.

FFS they have mortgages to pay, kids , school fees and all that... Who are we to bitch when we are all in the same boat trying to better ourselves and our own families.

I hope Taylor holds out for a great deal which secures him financially for him and his family..

For all we know he may get his leg broken and have to retire..along with anyother professional in the lower leagues.

and breathe.

I don't have any problem with footballers trying to get the best deal for themselves, it's common sense for them to do that but this idea that they can only work until they're 35 is total bull:censored:. Let's say the average for a first team pro at oldham is £700, that's still £36400 before any bonuses, hardly peanuts is it?

I'm not criticising Lee or Taylor in any way, just saying this idea is bollocks.

I don't have any problem with footballers trying to get the best deal for themselves, it's common sense for them to do that but this idea that they can only work until they're 35 is total bull:censored:. Let's say the average for a first team pro at oldham is £700, that's still £36400 before any bonuses, hardly peanuts is it?

I'm not criticising Lee or Taylor in any way, just saying this idea is bollocks.

If they stay at this level though for their career and retire in their early 30s, or even if they last until their late 30s perhaps in a lower league, that £36k won't seem like much.

I'm going to be on around £23,000 on a graduate level job (when I get one) and then will probably be around £40,000 by my early-to-mid 30s. Then I still have another 30+ years of my career!

Most of these footballers won't have any skills they can transfer to a traditional job when they retire from football and probably only about 1% of them move into coaching, management or anything else related to football (e.g. TV), so their money won't last long!

Quite a few of the young Oldham lads seem to be going to Uni alongside their studies so maybe they will have something to fall back on!

/rant

£36,400, it's a decent wage, but it isn't a vast amount. Basically a footballer's earning power is at its greatest before he's 35. At £36,400 a year, unless he's been fairly shrewd and completed a degree of some kind by then that is usually going to stay at that or go down. A third division footballer really ought to try and dig out the best deal he can with whoever he can whilst in his prime.

i didn't say they couldn't go out and work i said the earning from football was over,but it is going to be tough for them,others will have been to uni or got a job and worked there way up the ladder a bit by the time they are 35,a lot of these lads are going to be like 35 year old school leavers out in the world wondering what to do next

I don't have any problem with a footballer asking for more money- lots of people in "altruistic" occupations are going on strike for exactly that purpose on the 30th.

To bring some numbers into it - A footballer earning £1500/week (which is probably around what Taylor and Lee are on before bonuses) over a 15 year year career will earn around £700k in their career, after tax. That equates to £17500 p.a. after tax over a 40 year career which is a reasonable wage.

I'm not sure how many hours a week a footballer works- but I doubt its as many as someone working 9 to 5 (Mon to Fri). There is nothing stopping any footballer from going to night school to get some (additional) qualifications- although the likes of Simpson and Smith have already got degrees so probably don't need more.