today's result

A terrific result away to the top of the league I think, especially when coming from behind and having 3 out of first choice back four missing. That's 2 defeats in the last 13 now and there were mitigating circumstances in both of them such as having ten men against Bury and circumstances conspiring against us last week. Unbeaten in the last 5 away and I think fancy Phil having bagged the equaliser today will have done him a world of good. Expected the worst when they scored so a good point. :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very good point in circumstances that would, previously, have seen us buckle. As the OP says, that we got something out of a game against the runaway leaders, with our defence ripped apart by injuries ( I also believe Clarke needed stitches during the match ) and going a goal down. It says everything about the team spirit that Dickov has fostered and the players themselves that they kept going. Wins against Hartlepool and Notts County could leave things looking good going into 2012. Whisper it, but the positive vibes of recent weeks don't show any signs of letting up.

sounds like a great team effort, sounds like a great team spirit we've got here, can't imagine many teams going a goal down at the valley and getting much

and if the injured players were with the fans, shows that even more. they've got a deserved nine days rest now i make it, let's hope the form carries on on boxing day

Back from the game, really good point today! We weren't completely outplayed but we didn't look like scoring for most of the game so when Fil got the goal the away end went mental! Atmosphere was very good in the away end too.

They dominated possession for the first 25 mins but strangely only created clear cut chances in the last 20 when possession was even, we created a couple towards the end of the half too. Second half they had most of the possession in the 1st 20 and the pressure told with the goal. We didn't get a sight of goal until the last 10 but Charlton didn't do much for the rest of the game either.

Cisak was very good for most of the game, one good stop in the 1st half and a brilliant bit of play to win the goal kick off BWP at 0-0. Possibly at fault for the goal but if so it was his only error in the game. Parker, Mellor and Adeyemi for a short while did well at full back. Clarke and Diamond dealt admirably with the balls into the box, Diamond has got much better since earlier in the season. Wes + Furman = Yard dogs! Taylor was ok for the 1st 80 and did very well for the goal, Adeyemi didn't do much on the right wing but was disciplined, Kuqi worked hard but didn't get many breaks, Scapuzzi didn't impress me much, lightweight and not skillful enough today to be effective. If we keep him past January it'll benefit him more than us.

Dickov got it absolutely spot on bringing Smith and Morais on together, we needed extremes like them to stand any chance of breaking them down. Smith was the only option to win the ball in the air against their very good centre backs, he's unfortunate that his game is only really effective from the bench imo. I'll sum up Morais today as best as I can: END PRODUCT!!

The Valley is a really good ground. Charlton are very functional and will be there or thereabouts this year but they aren't as good in footballing terms as Brighton and Southampton were last year. Saying that though, if they get a dominant centre mid in January they'll destroy this league. Some of their fans stayed behind to boo us off the pitch!

Really enjoying seeing this Latics team develop. We might lose at Anfield but you can be damn sure that this bunch won't disgrace themselves!

All I know is, we need to get out of this league this year. Cant face watching Oldham ever again. Can you imagine watching that every week? If ever a team were cut from the same cloth as their manager.

From Charlton fans forum, sounds like we did our job then!

More of the same here

Ah,the sound of opposition fans whining and crying about us and our 'rather unpleasant manager'. Music to my ears.

They're even having a moan on the Grauniad messageboard.

This from ATigerFromTlon

"Not much fun at the Valley today; Oldham drew their tactics from the Big Book of Frustrating Football, the officials (to my possibly partial eyes) didn't do much to rein them in and everyone associated with the Latics celebrated their 1-1 draw as if they'd just beat Barcelona at home. Bah. Still top of the league, though, and other results went our way, so my whinging now is just a sign of how much we've come to expect this season."

I don't think we set out to frustrate them. It's just that they got on the front foot and we had a choice - cave in or battle hard. If their fans are too stupid to understand that there is great merit in an opponent who stops your supply line then they know zip all about the game.

Charlton had bag loads of pace and if they'd been a bit more intelligent they would have gone over the top of our centre halves a little more often.

As for complaints about the referee, he allowed Wright-Phillips and the other bloke to spend the first half jumping elbows first at opponents.

We did waste a little bit of time at 0-0. Oddly so did they at 1-0. But at 1-1 we looked as likely to win it as they did.

To wait behind and boo us off? If we play like that at Anfield and get a similar result we will get a standing ovation from the whole stadium.

Going down the list of individual contributions only Kuqi and perhaps Scappuzzi struggled. A week off will benefit both.

I think kuqi has hit a bit of a plateau the last few games, he couldn't continue his terrific goalscoring form indefinitely though nd he is looking a bit jaded. The rest will hopefully do him good and he'll get back to leading the line well.

As for the charlton fans......sorry we didn't roll over and play dead for you!......Deal with it!

Well, I had the offer of a free ticket with a colleague but it was in the Charlton stand behind the goal. Very interesting perspective from that end! They only really started complaining after Latics scored. The complaints were about the referee (not penalising for time-wasting and not giving them decisions for borderline decisions); Charlton not playing the ball on the ground and not playing 'proper football' (although both Charlton and Latics were happy to play air football for much of the game); and about Wright-Philips who was subject to some racist abuse at one stage.

Just to correct the report on the website: they only put the ball in the net after the linesman flagged, the referee blew for the offside and every other player had stopped.

My view of the game was that Latics were very vulnerable to crosses (which were really the only real threat from Charlton), Clarke was outjumped by the big Charlton striker for most of the game; Latics played their best football when they strung some passes together; Scapuzzi could be a real asset if he linked up with Taylor more; Wesolowski could be a very good player; Latics were very organised and frustrated Charlton from the start but still had equal skills when they decided to show them; and the substitutions were tactically superb.

When the goal went in it was great to see the idiots around us so pee'd off. Superb afternoon!

Saying all that the Valley is a very atmospheric ground - just what is needed for BP if it will hold 19000!

Well, I had the offer of a free ticket with a colleague but it was in the Charlton stand behind the goal. Very interesting perspective from that end! They only really started complaining after Latics scored. The complaints were about the referee (not penalising for time-wasting and not giving them decisions for borderline decisions); Charlton not playing the ball on the ground and not playing 'proper football' (although both Charlton and Latics were happy to play air football for much of the game); and about Wright-Philips who was subject to some racist abuse at one stage.

They did say on LP that Charlton were very direct, which makes their fans complaining about our 'dull' tactics even sillier.

I think kuqi has hit a bit of a plateau the last few games, he couldn't continue his terrific goalscoring form indefinitely though nd he is looking a bit jaded. The rest will hopefully do him good and he'll get back to leading the line well.

As for the charlton fans......sorry we didn't roll over and play dead for you!......Deal with it!

Agree - he still works hard to close down but does seem to have gone off the boil a little - still slipped Taylor in for the assist and had a goalbound effort blocked by Taylor (Matty) in the second half.

A week off and Hartlepool at home on boxing day - might see him back to his best.

They're even having a moan on the Grauniad messageboard.

This from ATigerFromTlon

"... everyone associated with the Latics celebrated their 1-1 draw as if they'd just beat Barcelona at home.... "

I thought just the same about Charlton's goal celebration, with even the keeper running like a madman over to the touchline in jubilation.

Agree - he still works hard to close down but does seem to have gone off the boil a little - still slipped Taylor in for the assist and had a goalbound effort blocked by Taylor (Matty) in the second half.

A week off and Hartlepool at home on boxing day - might see him back to his best.

:blush: Sorry big dog, didn't mean to vote your post down, caught the wrong button :grin: