today's result

I haven't ventured onto any Charlton forums, but if they are indeed suggesting that we played 'anti-football' then they've got some bloody brass neck, I tell ya. They were dog:censored:. Lumped it forward at every opportunity in the first half, BWP and Kermogant were leading with the elbow and flying into challenges all over the place. I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with the hypocrisy. Cheeky bastards. Our goal came from the best bit of football played all game as well.

24hrs is right. It was a late equaliser against top of the league, yet it wasn't just that. There was some other subconscious emotion that came to the fore.

This is genuinely the second worse hangover I've ever had.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't ventured onto any Charlton forums, but if they are indeed suggesting that we played 'anti-football' then they've got some bloody brass neck, I tell ya. They were dog:censored:. Lumped it forward at every opportunity in the first half, BWP and Kermogant were leading with the elbow and flying into challenges all over the place. I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with the hypocrisy. Cheeky bastards. Our goal came from the best bit of football played all game as well.

24hrs is right. It was a late equaliser against top of the league, yet it wasn't just that. There was some other subconscious emotion that came to the fore.

This is genuinely the second worse hangover I've ever had.

And with a possible wembley final appearance to come....... :drinking:

I think there was just something in us all that said, "If we don't get something out of this, there ain't no justice." For top of the league, Charlton were nowt special. Their main tactic was to lump it forward to use Wright-Phillips' pace. He got in behind us no more than a couple of time all game and got snuffed out quite easily. He's a moaning little sod an' all.

Just before we scored, we'd produced a similarly superb move that ended with a goalbound shot blocked by a defender. I guess then that most of us thought it wasn't going to be our day, so when Flip Flap Fil smacked home the equaliser from another cracking find the gap, pass, cross and wallop, mental was the only way to go. I had to laugh at the daft sod that raced on to the pitch and laid on his back in the penalty box, kicking his legs in the air. That's mental for gaining a draw, but it's what it meant to us all.

It was a terrific performance, even though not at our best. But when you lose 3 of your back four to injury and didn't really notice the difference, it says something about the team. Parker at right back? I thought I was seeing things, but he couldn't be faulted. Mellor may not be a natural full back, but he didn't let anyone down. Clarke? I wouldn't have headed another ball all day after the smack he got on the bonce, but he still challenged for every ball.

Diamond is getting better and better, Adeyemi showed some good touches and the Furman/Wesolowski partnership smacked of the yard dog days. Taylor had one of his better days and showed what he can do when in the mood. Scapuzzi was a bit frustrating, showed real skill at times, then overdid it and gave it away too often. Kuqi ran his arse off for no reward, often having to play deeper. Christ, where does he get his energy from? No goals in 4 games - God help the opposition when he starts bagging again.

Morais showed what he's all about - great skill one minute, a crap pass the next. God, he's frustrating, but he worked bloody hard and his goal was a peach. Smith is a much better player than when he arrived and showed some very neat touches for a big man. His time will come, I'm sure.

Last, but by no means least, Cisak. It seems a long time since we didn't have hearts in mouths and squeaky bums every time the ball came in the box, but I feel really relaxed about Cisak. He's young, probably about 7 years away from his peak (keepers are supposed to peak at 29/30 allegedly - nobody told me that when I played!) but he's a superb shot stopper, knows how to line up a wall (not like someone we've been trying to forget) and takes a clean catch on crosses.

As I say, not at our best, but a team of MOMs for me for grit, determination and that "never give up" mindset. And make no mistake about it, Charlton were pooing themselves for the last 4 mins plus another 4 in stoppage time. We had them on the back foot and some of our football late on was a joy to watch. When we get it down and pass it around, we're a match for anyone in this division. The team spirit is there for all to see, too. Did you spot Cisak, Clarke & Diamond giving each other the high fives? And that was at half time.

Proud to be a Latic this weekend. Again.

Edited by Bristolatic

I think there was just something in us all that said, "If we don't get something out of this, there ain't no justice." For top of the league, Charlton were nowt special. Their main tactic was to lump it forward to use Wright-Phillips' pace. He got in behind us no more than a couple of time all game and got snuffed out quite easily. He's a moaning little sod an' all.

Just before we scored, we'd produced a similarly superb move that ended with a goalbound shot blocked by a defender. I guess then that most of us thought it wasn't going to be our day, so when Flip Flap Fil smacked home the equaliser from another cracking find the gap, pass, cross and wallop, mental was the only way to go. I had to laugh at the daft sod that raced on to the pitch and laid on his back in the penalty box, kicking his legs in the air. That's mental for gaining a draw, but it's what it meant to us all.

It was a terrific performance, even though not at our best. But when you lose 3 of your back four to injury and didn't really notice the difference, it says something about the team. Parker at right back? I thought I was seeing things, but he couldn't be faulted. Mellor may not be a natural full back, but he didn't let anyone down. Clarke? I wouldn't have headed another ball all day after the smack he got on the bonce, but he still challenged for every ball.

Diamond is getting better and better, Adeyemi showed some good touches and the Furman/Wesolowski partnership smacked of the yard dog days. Taylor had one of his better days and showed what he can do when in the mood. Scapuzzi was a bit frustrating, showed real skill at times, then overdid it and gave it away too often. Kuqi ran his arse off for no reward, often having to play deeper. Christ, where does he get his energy from? No goals in 4 games - God help the opposition when he starts bagging again.

Morais showed what he's all about - great skill one minute, a crap pass the next. God, he's frustrating, but he worked bloody hard and his goal was a peach. Smith is a much better player than when he arrived and showed some very neat touches for a big man. His time will come, I'm sure.

Last, but by no means least, Cisak. It seems a long time since we didn't have hearts in mouths and squeaky bums every time the ball came in the box, but I feel really relaxed about Cisak. He's young, probably about 7 years away from his peak (keepers are supposed to peak at 29/30 allegedly - nobody told me that when I played!) but he's a superb shot stopper, knows how to line up a wall (not like someone we've been trying to forget) and takes a clean catch on crosses.

As I say, not at our best, but a team of MOMs for me for grit, determination and that "never give up" mindset. And make no mistake about it, Charlton were pooing themselves for the last 4 mins plus another 4 in stoppage time. We had them on the back foot and some of our football late on was a joy to watch. When we get it down and pass it around, we're a match for anyone in this division. The team spirit is there for all to see, too. Did you spot Cisak, Clarke & Diamond giving each other the high fives? And that was at half time.

Proud to be a Latic this weekend. Again.

Aagh!!!! Something about this topic as I've minuses poor bristols post via the damn iPad and the damn chuffer won't bring up a keypad either so doing this via hubby's iPhone .sorry pete for misusing, will buy you a pint next time your at BP. Well written post too great to read

Aagh!!!! Something about this topic as I've minuses poor bristols post via the damn iPad and the damn chuffer won't bring up a keypad either so doing this via hubby's iPhone .sorry pete for misusing, will buy you a pint next time your at BP. Well written post too great to read

Modern technology eh, Tracy? I only saw both your posts together otherwise I'd be mortally wounded. laugh.gif No worries about the pint. Might settle for a pie though.smile.gif

As good a result as it was I can't help feeling we could have got the win

Their man should never have been allowed that header from a floated cross and, although I hate it with a passion, Wesolowski could have eaasily gone down for a pen at 1-1............................

I think we could have had more of a go at them. To say it would have been an injustice if we hadn't got anything out of the game might be taking it a bit far. We hardly dominated the game and we created very few chances and didn't look like scoring at all for most of the match - we played our part in what must have been a fairly dour game for the neutral. The goal came when we got the ball on the deck and Taylor was running at them - Charlton didn't have a clue of how to deal with that.

Wasn't sure if the "Boring, boring Oldham" chants at the end were serious - Charlton were possibly the most one-dimensional team I've seen this season (The fact Taylor only had two decent runs at the defence was probably due to THEM stopping US from playing). However, I assume, like Sheffield Wednesday last week, they generally have the knack of winning close games, which is why they are where they are.

I'd have taken a point beforehand, because I thought Charlton must be good as they're top of the league. In reality, though, they weren't that good and I think if we'd been on top of our game we would have beaten them easily.

On paper a top result, though. Top support and a top away day too!

Edited by JoeP

I think kuqi has hit a bit of a plateau the last few games, he couldn't continue his terrific goalscoring form indefinitely though nd he is looking a bit jaded. The rest will hopefully do him good and he'll get back to leading the line well.

As for the charlton fans......sorry we didn't roll over and play dead for you!......Deal with it!

Firstly - a cracking point at the leaders & if their fans are moaning about 'nasty little Oldham'; all the better I say!!!

In bold - glad I'm not the only one to thinks this. You have to whisper it as he's (rightly) become a bit of a cult hero on here but actually his general play has been pish for a while now, since maybe Preston in late October I'd say.

I know he's scored since then, but I'm talking about his all-round game here.

As opposed to when he first arrived, moves have actually been breaking down when the ball reaches him; instead of steming from him. He's given the ball away loads and whilst he's ran around a huge amount, he hasn't asserted himself in the way he did earlier on……

I happen to think the ravages of time have caught up with him a bit - and a rest is massively needed. At his age & with the way he does run about the pitch during games; It's to be no surprise I guess, but IMO; he's absolutely shagged out at present. A little break from games which we now have (9 days I think) has come at exactly the right time for big Shefki IMO. We've had a fair few games of late; with the JPT & the reply & I think Kuqi is showing the signs of that.

A little rest for the big man & I have not doubt he'll be back nice & fresh - & back to doing what he did when he first arrived. But (and you do have to whisper it on here) he has been tosh recently really hasn't he?

Yes and no, I agree some moves have broken down when the ball has got to him, same as with Luca but, both players have been in positions to break moves down and have caused problems for defenders that we otherwise wouldn't have caused.

There have been a few games where we could have done with taking Kuqi off and giving Smith a run but at the back of Dickov's mind will always have been this period where he will get a rest.

I think once Reid is fit then he might well rest Kuqi a bit more as Reid's extra experience will mean sticking him on over Smith isn't as much a gamble. If Dickov had taken Kuqi off and we'd gone on to draw or lose he would have been mullered on here and in the stands.

Look at the Bradford game Kuqi did naff all game and was poor, by his usual standards and yet he still bagged one. Hence why he doesn't come off, that and he would pick up Dickov and slam into the turf.

I'm not too sure about that.

Kuqi or Dickov - who would win in a fight? :grin:

Yes and no, I agree some moves have broken down when the ball has got to him, same as with Luca but, both players have been in positions to break moves down and have caused problems for defenders that we otherwise wouldn't have caused.

There have been a few games where we could have done with taking Kuqi off and giving Smith a run but at the back of Dickov's mind will always have been this period where he will get a rest.

I think once Reid is fit then he might well rest Kuqi a bit more as Reid's extra experience will mean sticking him on over Smith isn't as much a gamble. If Dickov had taken Kuqi off and we'd gone on to draw or lose he would have been mullered on here and in the stands.

That' what I'm getting at. This little rest period couldn't have come at a better time for Kuqi IMO.

I guess it's about standards - and the way he started off for us; goals & his general play, being honest; he was never going to be able to maintain those standards. But; I have to say I don't think he's been "at it" recently…..general play wise, but it's a mark of the player that he has still scored during this period.

A little rest and I'm sure he'll be back to his fearsome best again - and I'm 99.9% sure that'll he'll be 'up for it' at Anfield!!!! Carragher better watch out!

I'm not too sure about that.

Kuqi or Dickov - who would win in a fight? :grin:

No contest the big Finn every day of the week, due to his size and reach advantage; but Dickov would have to be incapacitated for him to stop getting up and wanting more.

Kuqi v. Taggart on the other hand would be a better fight that a lot of proper heavyweight boxing matches.