with all this talk of Oldham invading Anfield

Excluding Cup finals and semi-finals, what's the largest away following we've ever taken? The largest I've known was probably at Everton, but I remember someone mentioning about taking 7000 to Barnsley once

yeah i was there september 1990, marshall 79th minute GET IN.........

League wise in my memory- We had more fans than Wigan at Wigan on the day they secured promotion (plus possibly the title as well) under Dowie and Twatex. We had around 4000- for a league game in the third division that is impressive.

I don't recall us having many at Burnden Park for the Quarter final but we may have done.

Even so we had over 5000 for Everton- more than any other away following at Goodison that year (probably).

League wise in my memory- We had more fans than Wigan at Wigan on the day they secured promotion (plus possibly the title as well) under Dowie and Twatex. We had around 4000- for a league game in the third division that is impressive.

I don't recall us having many at Burnden Park for the Quarter final but we may have done.

Even so we had over 5000 for Everton- more than any other away following at Goodison that year (probably).

really?? i was there that day. didnt think we outnumbered them

shame we didnt get the chance to invade bloomfield road in playoffs

I dunno about others but i would of gone to the 2nd leg at bloomfield but i was under impression we had sold out our allocation for the game so i didnt go but then i heard afterwards that there was plenty going spare?

In reply to the OP it's quite a bit before my time but i've heard me Dad and Grandad talk of us going to York for in a promotion year and we took a fair few there but they said it was quite a lot?

Leeds away - play offs 1987, we took about 7,000 or 8,000!

The Barnsley match away in 1990 was a cracker and we had more fans than them in a crowd of around 9,000!

Also remember taking 4,600 (maximum allowed) to Sheff Weds in the promotion season and having to queue 2 hours for the ticket!

On YouTube somewhere, there are highlights of the Barnsley away 90 game. The open terrace behind the goal is an impressive sight packed with Oldham. But doesn't look more than 5k.

Wigan 4k under Dowie and Everton FAC 2008 are biggest I think I've been part of.

It was only a few year back when it seemed we would always take at least a 1,000 to anywhere within an hour's drive

On YouTube somewhere, there are highlights of the Barnsley away 90 game. The open terrace behind the goal is an impressive sight packed with Oldham. But doesn't look more than 5k.

Wigan 4k under Dowie and Everton FAC 2008 are biggest I think I've been part of.

It was only a few year back when it seemed we would always take at least a 1,000 to anywhere within an hour's drive

I will never forget Barnsley away, I live in Stalybridge (near deep cutting on Mottram Moor for those who know it) and was in The Roe Cross Pub about 11.30am that Saturday and got a call off my brother saying he was picking me up earlier as rumour had it there was thousands going across Woodhead Pass............ He wasn't wrong, it took about 2 hours for a 45 minute journey............. it felt like we were a huge club at that time!

Didn't we have 8K at Old Trafford for that League Cup game where David Currie **** himself when confronted by Schmiechel for a 50:50 ball to put us one up?

That was the league game, not the Rumbelows Cup game (Lost 0-2?) the same season. Either way, that terrace certainly didn't hold more than about 3,000 I don't think. It was pretty full for the league game but the cup game didn't seem to be quite as full.

That Barnsley game was about 4,500 I reckon. 3 wins out of the first 3 games prior to that got the whole town buzzing. I got back from a school trip to France the day before although missed the Leicester and Pompey home wins but saw the Wolves win. Grogeous sunny day and a win at our notorious bogey ground certainly got me believing we could win this division. We took a large following on a similar sunny day a few months before but lost that time.

We've taken quite a few 3,000+ followings: QPR (play offs), Wigan, Huddersfield, Sheffield Weds, Everton, Leeds. Think the Everton game is the most I've seen for an away game, not including games at neutral venues.