Fresh striker required.

Does anyone else think we need another striker in order to 1) rest Kuqi for a couple of games, as he has worked himself to the ground and looks a little tired at present due to the amount of effort he has put in since playing for us, 2) Reid will take some time to get back to full fitness after his absence through injury, and 3) Smith is a bit slow for this league at the moment and at the moment Paul Dickov is using him as a substitute, quite rightly, as he needs to watch and learn from his striker colleagues. To me he is one for the future, but I feel we need someone with a bit of speed to turn defences round.

What we 'need' (which is entirely relative to what you think is the minimum acceptable achievement for the season) and what we can rightly expect are two different things because we don't have the budget to marry the two.

We need to weigh up the value of splurging on extra players when the playoffs are slipping further into the distance.

Not being funny, but with the likes of Scapuzzi, Taylor and Parker on the pitch and Morais on the pitch we have pace to burn.

It's all about linking that pace with the front man.

We didn't seem to want to do that today.

In the end it's all about what the manager asks you to do and the confidence you take out onto the pitch - yesterday the first was wrong and the second was lacking -did we not want to do it or simply not believe that we could?

What about that Robbie Simpson lad? He might be worth a punt :grin:

simpson was exactly what we was lacking yesterday....no forward drive or when we did manage to get it down the sides once or twice there was nobody breakin a leg to get into the box.....

kuqi has been very average for a while now....smiths nowhere near ready,and reids out injured...

moraise is a luxury player,and does very little in most games,scapuzzi isnt the fastest,but he does have good feet and turns well makin space for himself...

i'd forget about clarke and i would be looking to bring another striker in....if not then dickov n corney need to stop bangin on about the playoffs,cos it aint happening....mid table finish and a day out at wembley wont be too shabby a season this year.

simpson was exactly what we was lacking yesterday....no forward drive or when we did manage to get it down the sides once or twice there was nobody breakin a leg to get into the box.....

kuqi has been very average for a while now....smiths nowhere near ready,and reids out injured...

moraise is a luxury player,and does very little in most games,scapuzzi isnt the fastest,but he does have good feet and turns well makin space for himself...

i'd forget about clarke and i would be looking to bring another striker in....if not then dickov n corney need to stop bangin on about the playoffs,cos it aint happening....mid table finish and a day out at wembley wont be too shabby a season this year.

Exactly, the play off's are not happening this season now. In fact the only place left we could aim for is 6th. 5th and beyond are way away from us. Even 6th would take a run of wins the likes of which we haven't seen in decades. Lets get to Wembley, win the pot and let Dickov try to keep his good players and add to them yet again for next season.

The trouble is these days of short contracts how does a lower league manager build over a 5 year period?

We've also got Brooke and Bembo-Leta available. Perhaps worth considering them; or if they're not up to scratch, maybe time to bid them farewell. (Although as the latter is only recently returned from injury, that might be a little too soon.) Similarly, if Morais and Parker aren't firing, should we consider Millar, Burns or Hughes? (I think McGrath might be injured again.)

We've got a large squad of first team players (23 including Simpson, plus 2 loans, 2 non-contract and 2 youth), even if many are quite young. With our finances I don't think we can keep bringing more in without losing some.

Exactly, the play off's are not happening this season now. In fact the only place left we could aim for is 6th. 5th and beyond are way away from us. Even 6th would take a run of wins the likes of which we haven't seen in decades. Lets get to Wembley, win the pot and let Dickov try to keep his good players and add to them yet again for next season.The trouble is these days of short contracts how does a lower league manager build over a 5 year period?

What he said, to the letter!

I'd see a mid table finish and the Paint Pot in our somewhat bare trophy cabinet as a definate success...

Play offs have gone now, it's the other end of the table we should be worrying about given our tendency to flatline once February arrives.

Smith isn't up to it at this level at the moment and not sure he ever will be, however would be tempted to send him out on loan somewhere to see if a run of games brings about any improvement.

Left back is the problem area for me, Lee doesn't look comfortable there and Dickov doesn't seem to fancy Mellor in that position.

Would love to see Danny Jones back, not getting a game at Sheff Wed, perhaps not the greatest defender but offers a proper threat going forward down that wing, something we're badly lacking at the moment.

Exactly, the play off's are not happening this season now. In fact the only place left we could aim for is 6th. 5th and beyond are way away from us. Even 6th would take a run of wins the likes of which we haven't seen in decades. Lets get to Wembley, win the pot and let Dickov try to keep his good players and add to them yet again for next season.

The trouble is these days of short contracts how does a lower league manager build over a 5 year period?

Agreed. Let's not panic buy and end up losing players in the summer. Focus on the JPT, and invest wisely in new contracts for our better players. New deals for Lee, Furman and Wesolowski are musts, Taylor, Diamond and Kuqi possibilities.

We've also got Brooke and Bembo-Leta available. Perhaps worth considering them; or if they're not up to scratch, maybe time to bid them farewell. (Although as the latter is only recently returned from injury, that might be a little too soon.) Similarly, if Morais and Parker aren't firing, should we consider Millar, Burns or Hughes? (I think McGrath might be injured again.)

We've got a large squad of first team players (23 including Simpson, plus 2 loans, 2 non-contract and 2 youth), even if many are quite young. With our finances I don't think we can keep bringing more in without losing some.

Indeed Cru - i see what you mean,

We have a smaller squad than the last few seasons, but - it's hardly thread-bare numbers wise. The issue is that the 'fringe' players are all young lads; mostly unproven at this senior level. Only Tarky & Brooke have a decent number of games for their age under their belts - Burns, Hughes, Carr etc are all yet to feature really.

PD doesn't seem to want to play them, and until they do play - we don't now how they would cope, it's a vicious circle.

From what I've seen (which granted isn't a massive amount; the odd youth & reserve game) - they are worth looking at.

If they make the bench (as Hughes did yesterday right?), then really if they don't ever get on the pitch, then how will we ever know?

Winchester seems to have fallen massively out of favour, Tarky has been overlooked after doing well last season.....

Over the last 5 or 6 games, it's slightly gone flat. We aren't "sparking" like we did at times, and we need something to mix it up a bit IMO.

Now, whether that's throwing a youngster in and seeing them take flight (it happened with a young Chris Taylor etc), or whether it's a change of tactics / formation....I just think we need to look to do something a little different from what we have done.

very hard to have a 5 year plan these days....like you say players on short term deals,are like mercenarys now,spend 3 or 6 months somewhere and if it isnt happening move on...

reid was workin well with kuqi,but tearing his muscle was bad timing...were just too inconsistant,and barely have a settled side.

think if we can get simpson to sign perm,and keep most of our decent players for next season,bring in 3 or 4 quality signings could give it a real go next season...depends how patient people are prepared to be.

Indeed Cru - i see what you mean,

We have a smaller squad than the last few seasons, but - it's hardly thread-bare numbers wise. The issue is that the 'fringe' players are all young lads; mostly unproven at this senior level. Only Tarky & Brooke have a decent number of games for their age under their belts - Burns, Hughes, Carr etc are all yet to feature really.

PD doesn't seem to want to play them, and until they do play - we don't now how they would cope, it's a vicious circle.

From what I've seen (which granted isn't a massive amount; the odd youth & reserve game) - they are worth looking at.

If they make the bench (as Hughes did yesterday right?), then really if they don't ever get on the pitch, then how will we ever know?

Winchester seems to have fallen massively out of favour, Tarky has been overlooked after doing well last season.....

Over the last 5 or 6 games, it's slightly gone flat. We aren't "sparking" like we did at times, and we need something to mix it up a bit IMO.Now, whether that's throwing a youngster in and seeing them take flight (it happened with a young Chris Taylor etc), or whether it's a change of tactics / formation....I just think we need to look to do something a little different from what we have done.

This surely can't be coincidental? Simpson has missed 6 of the last 7 games, and our attacking game has clearly suffered as a result.

Lets see how things settle down with him back in the side now.

I'm more concerned about left back. Dickov clearly doesn;t fancy Mellor or Black, and Lee is wasted there. Playing Adeyemi (who has done a good job in the last 2 games) at RB also means limiting our midfield options.

This surely can't be coincidental? Simpson has missed 6 of the last 7 games, and our attacking game has clearly suffered as a result.

Lets see how things settle down with him back in the side now.

I'm more concerned about left back. Dickov clearly doesn;t fancy Mellor or Black, and Lee is wasted there. Playing Adeyemi (who has done a good job in the last 2 games) at RB also means limiting our midfield options.

Latics shouldn't be relying on one man, that's where the problem lies.

Latics shouldn't be relying on one man, that's where the problem lies.

in reality, name me a side that doesn't rely on their best player though?

Premiership wise:

How much worse are Man Ure when Rooney isn't playing?

How much did City miss Yaya Toure Vs Liverpool the other day?

When Bale is missing for Spurs; how much more 1 dimensional do they look?

At our level - Hudds would be fecked with Rhodes, Sheff United wouldn't be the same proposition without Ched Evans, Charlton aren't the same team without Johnny Jackson......

Robbie Simpson has shown himself during his time here to actually be 1 of the better; if not the best player we have. Of course we're going to miss him when he's not playing?? I would have thought that much was obvious no?

Show me a side that look exactly the same without their best player..............and if you say Droylsden I'm going to scream!!!! :wink: