Chesterfield - Update

Can I first of all apologise to all fans who may be affected by any different arrangements that may need to occur.

I have spoken to Chris Turner the Chief Executive at Chesterfield who assures me that the frost covers have been on since last Friday. Currently half the ground is affected by bad frost.

My experience to date is that these covers do not always provide adequate results.

After discussions with the Football League and our the manager, together with the Chesterfield administration, it was felt that Wednesday was the ideal time for both clubs to play the tie. Many facts come into consideration, not least the pile up of games that could occur over the next few weeks.

It is fully appreciated that this arrangement, if necessary, will not suit everyone and that people will have taken time off and made travel arrangement for Tuesday night. We regret any difficulties this may cause people.

The squad is fit to play this game and are raring to go, perhaps another factor in the managers mind. !!!!!

Hope everyone understands.

Regards

Barry

Thanks for the update.

Certainly reads like the game will be off. Piss poor from Chesterfield - a new league ground should have undersoil heating. We've been fortunate so far with a mild winter so they've been spared until now but that's just not good enough.

Fortunately I can still make Wednesday, though I'm sure there'll be a fair few who can't. Shame really, still hoping it's tomorrow but whichever way hopefully the boys put on a show whenever.

Please don't read me wrong. Pitch inspection at 2.00pm Tuesday will decide if fit enough to play that night.

Apologising in advance in case match goes to Wednesday.

Barry

Why do you feel the need to apologise Barry?? Unless your aka Jack Frost, it ain't your fault and there's jack :censored: you can do about it!!

Thanks for the update.

Certainly reads like the game will be off. Piss poor from Chesterfield - a new league ground should have undersoil heating. We've been fortunate so far with a mild winter so they've been spared until now but that's just not good enough.

Fortunately I can still make Wednesday, though I'm sure there'll be a fair few who can't. Shame really, still hoping it's tomorrow but whichever way hopefully the boys put on a show whenever.

Frost covers have been in place daily from last Friday - cannot see a problem guys.

Barry i would seriously have a word with yourself, you should have been down there with a gas heater and covered every blade of grass, otherwise you personally have put a lot of people out if it moves to wednesday and i hope you are proud?

Thanks for the update.

If moneybags MK dongles didn't get it put in, I don't see much of a precident for Chesterfield. It's still a significant bit of money on top of everything else and with smaller crowds that the PL, it perhaps was judged not to be good enough value.

Latics Director Barry Owen apologised to fans for any inconvenience caused adding today's pitch inspection was carried out as early as possible to minimise disruption.

Mr Owen added that any fans unable to attend the rearranged game is entitled to a full refund on their tickets and also official supporters' coach travel.

The earlier it's officially called off the better I presume.

But then again, the later you leave it, the more the pitch thaws. One theory is the Chesterfield want it off 'cos of injuries. Just a theory.

But then, why arrange an inspection for 2pm in the first place? Up here in Scotland it was white outside at 11 - the grass outside my office window looks frost free now.

Bringing forward the inspection makes no sense at all to me, they say it's for fans travelling long distances but you can't cater for everybody, surely their main focus it to get the game on at all costs?

It's pretty much thawed around my house now and it's forecast to go no lower than 4 tomorrow so hopefully there won't be a problem.

Bringing forward the inspection makes no sense at all to me, they say it's for fans travelling long distances but you can't cater for everybody, surely their main focus it to get the game on at all costs?

It's pretty much thawed around my house now and it's forecast to go no lower than 4 tomorrow so hopefully there won't be a problem.

Why would they want to get the game on at all costs when they can play tommorow? The frost may have thawed but has the ground? By 6pm its expected to be -1 in Chesterfield so there is plenty of scope for it to be frozen once again. As you have said though, tommorow should be warmer and the match playable.