Why we do nothing every season!

Aside from being a small club, low budget, 3 stand and poor, there is a clear cut reason why we go nowhere.

We do not put together a squad that can play constantly with each other.

Our average 11

Cisak (first year)

Lee (2nd Year) Diamond (1st year) Mvoto (2nd year) Black (2nd year)

Taylor (5th year) Furman (3rd Year) Weslowski (1st year) Morais (2nd year)

Simpson (1st year) Kuqi (1st year)

Bench: Bouzinas (1st year) Tarkowski (2nd year) Adeyemi (1st year) Smith (1st year) Mellor (1st Year) Parker (1st year) Marsh Brown (1st year)

[u]**The years are when they broke into the first team properly**[/u]

Anyone see it? Too many people leave at the end of a season. A promotion style squad has stability, a structure.

Heres what my view of next seasons plan should be:

Dickov remains in management, this is vitally important.

Cisak (2nd year)

Lee (3rd year) Diamond (2nd Year) Mvoto (3rd Year) Invest in a new LB who can have a continuous career at Latics as LB

Taylor (6th year) Furman (4th Year) Weslowski (2nd Year) Morais (3rd Year)

Simpson (2nd Year) Smith (2nd Year)

There is now a clear structure within the squad where they have had more than one year at latics and are used to playing each other. Add 2-3 more new faces but keep a structure and togetherness within the squad

That squad could easily gain a play off/ promotion push

Opinions Please!

I'd argue it's because we change our manager every 2 seasons.

Not saying Dickov's the right man but he needs chance to build something here. Last season he was having to work with some of dismal Dave's cast-offs. This season he's had a much better success rate of spotting talent and has a good spine of the team when fit and firing. I'd like to think next season, if allowed he could build a side challenging in the top half. If it isn't, then it's perhaps time to change.

No doubting what you say but its a vicious circle -

Small budget , only allows to sign players on short term contracts and the rest are loanees.

End of season players no longer in contract move on and loanees go back .

August comes round and we start again.

Answers - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beside oil rich Arab , so it will go on until we end up where our budget takes us -

League 2

You're right that we need stability, but stability is no good without quality. That midfield looks top half but not promotion quality (Morais too inconsistent, Taylor lacks end product at the moment, and while Furman and Wesolowski are undoubtedly good neither are creative, stand-out players who can turn a game). And Simpson and Smith up front is definitely not enough.

So yes, I agree we need stability, but mixed with quality that we don't have enough of yet. And unfortunately we're in a Catch 22 position where we need to recruit and retain quality players to enjoy success, but we need success to afford to recruit and retain quality players. As it stands we'll be losing one or more of our best players this summer.

i said exactly this at the Walsall match after watching some old YouTube footage from the Royle era.

the players knew where each other would be without even looking. only stability can bring that understanding.

i only want to see us sign 2 QUALITY players in the summer - a left back and a creative Kilkenny or Wellens type midfielder.

i said exactly this at the Walsall match after watching some old YouTube footage from the Royle era.

the players knew where each other would be without even looking. only stability can bring that understanding.

i only want to see us sign 2 QUALITY players in the summer - a left back and a creative Kilkenny or Wellens type midfielder.

And drop who? Furman or Wes? Providing both are with us next season that is..

A season or two or 3 with each other as a group of 8 with 2-3 new faces in summer would allow the squad to adapt and learn how each other plays, strengths. It also keeps a sense of moral within the squad knowing that they have management confident in their capabilities thus giving them a guaranteed pro career.

Dickov did have tripe to work with, one piece of tripe we never even got to see, bonus points to the one who guesses his name correctly.

If we work with the likes of mellor, winchester and tarky and smith we could get them to league one level who can fight for a starting place and maintain a position to be.

I also dont like the drifting of the players and the changes dickov makes e.g adeyemi playing right back, lee playing mid field, taylor on the midfield.

Keep a squad who can adapt to each others methods, become best mates if you will and who can have consistancy in playing each game. This was we can push up and guarantee a place in league one, with no threat of relegation.

Dickov has worked miracles and needs time to build the side. There are boys playing at the moment and not men, but one thing for sure if they continue to play with each other for another year or two, the side will be a lot better. We obviously need a couple of new players, but on the whole progress will only be seen if a team is settled as that breeds confidence. We certainly have a great manager who o.k. makes mistakes, but he loves the club and shows his commitment when he is interviewed. It's up to the players to show what they can do week in week out. It shows what can be done with team spirit when you look at Stevenage who have certainly got no star players, but they've got players who show willing on the pitch every match.

There's been disruption to the team every season for the last six or seven - be it a new manager or a major overhaul of the team.

By retaining PD, retaining the majority of this current first team and allowing the youth players to have an extended run in the first team then we can continue to consolidate a team ethic rather than chop and change the individuals.

We have some good players and some very promising players within the squad. We just need to maintain a "team" who know one another, know how each other plays and plays as a unit rather than building our play around two or three players.

Aside from being a small club, low budget, 3 stand and poor, there is a clear cut reason why we go nowhere.

We do not put together a squad that can play constantly with each other.

Our average 11

Cisak (first year)

Lee (2nd Year) Diamond (1st year) Mvoto (2nd year) Black (2nd year)

Taylor (5th year) Furman (3rd Year) Weslowski (1st year) Morais (2nd year)

Simpson (1st year) Kuqi (1st year)

Bench: Bouzinas (1st year) Tarkowski (2nd year) Adeyemi (1st year) Smith (1st year) Mellor (1st Year) Parker (1st year) Marsh Brown (1st year)

[u]**The years are when they broke into the first team properly**[/u]

Anyone see it? Too many people leave at the end of a season. A promotion style squad has stability, a structure.

Heres what my view of next seasons plan should be:

Dickov remains in management, this is vitally important.

Cisak (2nd year)

Lee (3rd year) Diamond (2nd Year) Mvoto (3rd Year) Invest in a new LB who can have a continuous career at Latics as LB

Taylor (6th year) Furman (4th Year) Weslowski (2nd Year) Morais (3rd Year)

Simpson (2nd Year) Smith (2nd Year)

There is now a clear structure within the squad where they have had more than one year at latics and are used to playing each other. Add 2-3 more new faces but keep a structure and togetherness within the squad

That squad could easily gain a play off/ promotion push

Opinions Please!

If Smith is leading our line next year I will be very very worried

The manager is the only thing that can attract players to the club and it is very encouraging that a numebr of useful players who apparently had other options chose to come here.

If you were 50/50 on two clubs and were shown round Baoundary Park it's hard to imagine it being a preferred destination on any objective grounds.

I think the OP is pretty much correct with the idea of stability within the squad and, when you read/listen to the majority of PD's interviews, it's obvious that he wants to keep the squad together. We have the basis of a good squad already, if a little inconsistent, and if PD can work the same magic in keeping them together as he has with bringing players in, then we will improve season on season.

It's been said in other threads that Big Joe took 5 years before he was showing what the future held, so it's imperative that, not only do we develop the current squad (with the odd addition as required), but we keep hold of PD as well.

As contracts expire, my belief is that we tie up Cisak, Lee, Diamond, Simpson, Furball, Wes, Taylor, Morais as a minimum, plus developing the likes of Tarky, Winchester, Marsh-Brown and the other kids who are showing they can make the grade. Added to those, I would love to see DJ Bembo develop and become a major asset.

There you have the spine of a team that can only get better, provided they can be kept together with PD & GT at the helm. Maybe we need an advisor as well (if we can afford it) to help PD & GT through their formative management years.