Tired legs & Resting players on Saturday

I thought that it was apparent that some players were tiring last night - certainly Winchester and, as highlighted post match, Marsh-Brown. In particular, with all the brouhaha surrounding the substitution of the latter, I felt that he was at the stage where his crosses were no longer beating the first man so I can see why he was taken off. I think a big problem was that we didn't have a clear option as to how to replace Winchester as he understandably tired.

Anyway, the question is: Do you think it would make sense for several members of the team to be rested v Sheff Utd - even if it means fielding a much weaker team?

Just, before the -1 button gets hammered in a 'no likely - no lighty' style when a Luke Chadwick lookalike descends in the lift, is there not an argument to say that Sheff Utd is obviously going to be a difficult, physical game in the middle of a busy run of fixtures. Further, whilst skilfully skating around the issue actually saying that we may not win, could it not be said that the fixture presents a greater challenge than Scunthorpe at home and 3 points from the two fixtures would be preferable to 1 or none?

Of course, we'd like to win every match, giving everything to the cause in each one but isn't part of management trying to optimise the number of points by the end of the season? In particular, our central midfield is likely to suffer over the next few weeks, with no sign of relief coming in the shape of returning experienced heads/ fresh legs.

I also totally understand that the travelling support haven't put their cash down to watch our reserves try and get a valiant point. For the record, I will be going on Saturday and not really expecting more than a cold seat & being greeted with the Vs as the coach winds its way through Sheffield but I still say, rest a few; think about the bigger picture; prepare your excuses now and hope that the programme is a good read.

Go on then. Hit the -1. Just remember that every time you do, I'm going to punch this puppy.

Edited by Twisbrogan

Marsh brown was fine his crossing was nothing to do with tiredness . His final ball wasnt the best all night and it needs working on but his pace is enough to change games.

The fact he sprinted off showed he wasnt tired.

Kuqi and Simpson will play 90 minutes again on Saturday running them into the groun

You mean a "Wolves playing United at Old Trafford" style approach?

The obvious issue with this is that if the side was any more weakened it would mean pitching in the kids, Paul Gerrard and the tea lady! We're down to the bare bones already.

I'd be tempted to try Reid though and although the partnership of M'Voto and Tarky are doing well, Diamond's experience may assist in keeping the score down on this occasion.

You mean a "Wolves playing United at Old Trafford" style approach?

The obvious issue with this is that if the side was any more weakened it would mean pitching in the kids, Paul Gerrard and the tea lady! We're down to the bare bones already.

I'd be tempted to try Reid though and although the partnership of M'Voto and Tarky are doing well, Diamond's experience may assist in keeping the score down on this occasion.

Mike Newton and Corney would love to strut their stuff at Bramall Lane, can't be any worse than the midfield pairing we had out there last night….

I thought that it was apparent that some players were tiring last night - certainly Winchester and, as highlighted post match, Marsh-Brown. In particular, with all the brouhaha surrounding the substitution of the latter, I felt that he was at the stage where his crosses were no longer beating the first man so I can see why he was taken off. I think a big problem was that we didn't have a clear option as to how to replace Winchester as he understandably tired.

Anyway, the question is: Do you think it would make sense for several members of the team to be rested v Sheff Utd - even if it means fielding a much weaker team?

Just, before the -1 button gets hammered in a 'no likely - no lighty' style when a Luke Chadwick lookalike descends in the lift, is there not an argument to say that Sheff Utd is obviously going to be a difficult, physical game in the middle of a busy run of fixtures. Further, whilst skilfully skating around the issue actually saying that we may not win, could it not be said that the fixture presents a greater challenge than Scunthorpe at home and 3 points from the two fixtures would be preferable to 1 or none?

Of course, we'd like to win every match, giving everything to the cause in each one but isn't part of management trying to optimise the number of points by the end of the season? In particular, our central midfield is likely to suffer over the next few weeks, with no sign of relief coming in the shape of returning experienced heads/ fresh legs.

I also totally understand that the travelling support haven't put their cash down to watch our reserves try and get a valiant point. For the record, I will be going on Saturday and not really expecting more than a cold seat & being greeted with the Vs as the coach winds its way through Sheffield but I still say, rest a few; think about the bigger picture; prepare your excuses now and hope that the programme is a good read.

Gone on then. Hit the -1. Just remember that every time you do, I'm going to punch this puppy.

:censored: it…….punch the puppy…..

Joking Aside, nothing to lose at Bramall Lane so maybe chuck a few squad players in.

Bouzanis

Lee

Diamond

M'Voto

Mellor

Morais

Adeyemi

Burns

Hughes

Smith

Reid

I don't think going out with a team that will get absolutely murdered would be particularly good for morale.

I don't think going out with a team that will get absolutely murdered would be particularly good for morale.

Go with that team we had out last night Stevie and we'll get equally hammered. I called it at MK and i'm calling it again at Bramall Lane, unless we get a midfielder in or Dickov suddenly becomes a tactical genius I fear a repeat of MK….

Go with that team we had out last night Stevie and we'll get equally hammered. I called it at MK and i'm calling it again at Bramall Lane, unless we get a midfielder in or Dickov suddenly becomes a tactical genius I fear a repeat of MK….

Me too, and I agree about the need for a midfielder (or two), but sending out a bunch of kids to have all their confidence knocked out of them isn't the answer.

An experienced loanee in for Adeyemi, he doesn't deserve to start after after last nights non performance.

adeyemi is a good player, but with winchester they arent effective, they need furman with them or something similar. i'd consider either bringing in a loan player to do the wes role or put robbie simpson in there, and start matt smith and hope for a consolation header

cisak

lee tarky m'voto mellor

taylor/KMB simpson adeyemi morais

smith/parker/reid

kuqi

We have 16 or 17 fit players as it is so there isn't really much we can do.

I think Winchester would be excellent in midfield alongside Furman or Weslowski.

He just needs to be told what to do. Playing higher up the field would help him.

Adeyemi and him hardly spoke to each other all night.

Which is possibly to be expected with two inexperienced players playing in the most vital part of the pitch.

It is good to see Tarkowski shouting and pointing.

Also Dickov seemed to give his instructions to Tarkowski to pass on to the rest of the team.

We have 16 or 17 fit players as it is so there isn't really much we can do.

I think Winchester would be excellent in midfield alongside Furman or Weslowski.

He just needs to be told what to do. Playing higher up the field would help him.

Adeyemi and him hardly spoke to each other all night.

Which is possibly to be expected with two inexperienced players playing in the most vital part of the pitch.

It is good to see Tarkowski shouting and pointing.

Also Dickov seemed to give his instructions to Tarkowski to pass on to the rest of the team.

He'd probably be better than last night, but that wouldn't be hard. Its similar with Adeyemi, both of them would do better with either Furman or Wes, but together and we will be in trouble against a decent side or one that hasn't been so delayed.

Rowlands for Col U last night showed the merit of having an experienced head in midfield. There must be a few others out there like him, but Dickov has mentioned the wages factor recently.

Maybe the Birchall thing will be reprised given the dire straits Port Vale are in?

Rowlands has been decent for a few years at this level, I remember him crashing in a last minute equaliser for Brentford to cancel out an earlier Allott effort at Grifffin Park a couple of days before Christmas 2000. He can play centrally out wide and off a front-man. So many players at our level are interchangeable, we need more of this type of player if we are to carry on with such a small squad.

Birchall must be ready to return to the US now surely? Keane and Terry Henry have already gone back...

Rowlands has been decent for a few years at this level, I remember him crashing in a last minute equaliser for Brentford to cancel out an earlier Allott effort at Grifffin Park a couple of days before Christmas 2000. He can play centrally out wide and off a front-man. So many players at our level are interchangeable, we need more of this type of player if we are to carry on with such a small squad.

Birchall must be ready to return to the US now surely? Keane and Terry Henry have already gone back...

I don't think his club gave him a new contract.

Ah yep, fair enough. I wasn't sure if he'd finished in the states or just away due to their break.

Still, celebrities at every turn, glorious sunshine and invites to glamorous parties vs a 3-sided ground, endless rain and an invite to the opening of the latest Cash Converters - I'm sure he can be persuaded!

Free agent according to the ever-reliable Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Birchall but he might go back there.

Not sure if he's any good. Remember he scored a decent long range goal for T&T to help them get to the World Cup.

Got to be worth a look as a short-term option though.

If that's the case surely we could offer him the bare minimum to keep fit, turn out and consider his options in the summer?

Is he any good? Never really stood out for me when we played Vale?

He's better than we have fit at the moment. He did well for Trinidad and Tobago in the world cup 2006, including a game against England. He has played at a higher level and is still only 27.