What are you watching at the moment?

Crusoe

15 hours ago, Matt said:

There is a lot to watch and take in, it strange how things turn around. I remember the Phantom Menace and the other two being - to me anyway - nearly a complete disaster, now they are regarded as somewhat decent. I can't see it personally, but I guess one can't consider the whole without these three, and to a certain extent - the final three. If you need a watch list, give me a shout - I'll try to put them, and the supporting cartoons/films/TV shows, in some sort of coherent order. Don't worry, you'll not have to watch all of the toons.

Which reminds me, during the April/May lockdown we watched the MCU films in order up to Endgame - there is probably no way I could do this under normal circumstances.

I have a pretty low opinion of Marvel. It did something fun for a couple of movies, but mostly it made the same soulless over-busy shite for 10+ movies. I couldn't give a fuck about 90% of the characters at any given moment. There was just too much going on. I liked some stand-alone elements from within (Waititi's Thor), but I watched the last half dozen or more on planes because I wasn't ever going to pay for them.  Maybe different if you've got kids who're excited by the spectacle of it?

I suppose maybe those types of thing are just not for me though - because again I thought for the most part Ep. 7-9 of Wars were hot garbage too.  I did like it when GLaDOS turned up though - we all know Portal is over due a movie adaptation!!  

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ackey said:

I have a pretty low opinion of Marvel. It did something fun for a couple of movies, but mostly it made the same soulless over-busy shite for 10+ movies. I couldn't give a fuck about 90% of the characters at any given moment. There was just too much going on. I liked some stand-alone elements from within (Waititi's Thor), but I watched the last half dozen or more on planes because I wasn't ever going to pay for them.  Maybe different if you've got kids who're excited by the spectacle of it?

I suppose maybe those types of thing are just not for me though - because again I thought for the most part Ep. 7-9 of Wars were hot garbage too.  I did like it when GLaDOS turned up though - we all know Portal is over due a movie adaptation!! 

Ragnarok was a proper comic book film, bright colours, loads of action - one of my favourites. Kids were the reason I kind of half watched the Star Wars cartoon show, it was easy to pick up and drop - however like I said, the last four episodes of the last season are supposed to be a cinematic release - watch them if you have time.

I was late to Portal, I really enjoyed the first game - isn't there some connection with Aperture and Half Life/Black Mesa? Half Life needs a series...

15 hours ago, Matt said:

Ragnarok was a proper comic book film...

Exactly. I think they've created a rod for their own back with some of it. Trying to be super-serious and losing sight of the fun. Which thankfully Waititi never does - because he's a fucking genius. What We Do In The Shadows is hilarious and brilliant. Hunt for the Wilderpeople is gorgeous. His Mando's are the best. etc. etc.

I was late to Portal, I really enjoyed the first game - isn't there some connection with Aperture and Half Life/Black Mesa? Half Life needs a series...

Portal not being available to the current (last now, I suppose) gen of consoles is a travesty and the only reason I still have my Xbox in the loft. In fact I may get that down this weekend and smash through it. 

And yes, it's all created by Valve, so they have a few cameo/overlap/same-universe things going on throughout them.  I've never been that fussed by Half-Life personally. But it does feel like it lends itself to the modern technology. If they can make the Expanse work, with all the effects that needs, on a budget then you'd think Half-Life wouldn't be too much of an issue. 

3 hours ago, Ackey said:

I've never been that fussed by Half-Life personally. But it does feel like it lends itself to the modern technology. If they can make the Expanse work, with all the effects that needs, on a budget then you'd think Half-Life wouldn't be too much of an issue. 

Games-to-film/TV shows have been largely disasters. Halo never really surfaced (however with a bit of searching it's due next year), Mass-Effect never happened. Hitman was awful, Silent Hill wasn't great, Gears f War is in development hell - I'm certain I'm going to be underwhelmed with Amazon's Fallout, and probably The Last of Us too. Yet Candy Crush exists.

Expanse. Where do you want to start with that!? New season soon.

On 11/30/2020 at 9:36 AM, Ackey said:

I love it. Can't follow what's going on half the time, mind. But still...

I was difficult to get through the first season; then it just flowed - although it's a bit odd in places. I like how it tries to at least observe science as much as it can, and the Belter accent is a really good little gimmick - interesting to think how accents would develop off-world.

Have you read The Three Body Problem trilogy? I recommend it. It's an absolute classic in the hard-scifi genre.

On 12/1/2020 at 12:16 PM, Matt said:

I was difficult to get through the first season; then it just flowed - although it's a bit odd in places. I like how it tries to at least observe science as much as it can, and the Belter accent is a really good little gimmick - interesting to think how accents would develop off-world.

Speaking of which - new series starts soon! :D 

3 hours ago, Ackey said:

Speaking of which - new series starts soon! :D 

Good, I'll look out for that. By the way, the last two episodes of Discovery have been pretty dire - there's a story there but it feels like if they told it, it would only last 20 minutes - that music motif is really good, it reminds me of early ST:NG. In comparison, the last two episodes of Mandalorian have been incredible, top quality.

I've really enjoyed the last two Mando's that's for sure - though I know who basically no one is. But, they've been fun.  That canyon battle amongst the rocks was fucking stupid though. That pissed me off a bit. 

I'm one behind on Discovery - maybe at lunch today I will get to it. I've actually enjoyed how it's swung toward monster of the week STNG/Voyager like. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 1:44 PM, oafcmetty said:

Angry birds films went down well. Resident Evil also.

Witcher. I've started playing Witcher 3 (I'm a patient gamer, picked it up cheap a couple of weeks ago with all the DLC - it's going to take me ages) - and I'm now enjoying the TV show too. I didn't get it when I started watching it months ago - some of it still doesn't make sense, but I'm getting more of the references. It's certainly a series that is aimed at the readers/gamers first and foremost - it isn't a series for someone to just jump into.

4 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Mrs Metty would disagree - she loves it, and hasn't consumed any of the other material.

I just couldn't understand the motivations or the terminology like the Law of Surprise, stopped watching it after three, four episodes! Started watching it last week again and it made sense, I guess I'm just slow on the uptake!

New season starting soon I think.

• 1 month later...

I've also started getting well into foreign tv/film. Obviously, if you haven't seen the bridge, stop what you are doing and watch it.

I thought Hotel Beau Sejour was a great idea if slightly rough around the edges. Spiral is great. Inspector Borowski is a straight detective show and very much one of the better things you can watch. 

BUT...Dark. mind bendingly the best thing you will watch for years. So good you'll watch it twice. And still think, 'I need to watch that again'.

18 hours ago, OldhamSheridan said:

BUT...Dark. mind bendingly the best thing you will watch for years. So good you'll watch it twice. And still think, 'I need to watch that again'.

Superb wasn't it, by the third season was incredibly complex, looping around - I watched the first season twice, because I wanted to, I watched the other two seasons twice because I had to. Well worth the time (pardon the pun) investment.

Archived